The Best of Baja California - Edventures on the new Honda African Twin

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed great following this leg of your travels!

You may remember: I’m the one from Spain that ran into you in Bovec this summer on the 701... unfortunately that is history (see my RR for this)

But all is good, now in Bali....And after Asia I’m thinking of heading east all the way to southern Cali, buying an enduro-trail bike in San Diego or LA and doing all of Baja, with no time limit, maybe going beyond eventually down mainland to the rest of Americas...

But first Baja which I always wanted to do. Ride off road, surf, food & wine (& beer!)!

In your view is January-February a good time to travel Baja?
  2. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tuned a bike for my buddy to ride in the Cabo, he competed the first two years then had a crash on Ortega Hwy (drunk knucklehead pulled in front of him) and while he lived to tell the tale, that was the end of his racing. He’s all good now.
    pceire32 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  3. advrockrider

advrockrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome story about racing. I've been 155 MPH on the street but wouldn't even think of that in Baja you crazy bastards!!! How anyone ever survived those runs is amazing!
    pceire32 likes this.
  4. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And to think I considered those who race the IOM TT to be extremists. Silly me. Glad you survived your three Baja 1000's. Sorry to hear about the fellow who didn't.
    pceire32 likes this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been 165 on a remote road in California . But once i got there , i quickly backed off out of fear. But in this race there were 3 times the speedometer never fell below 130 for half an hour. And when i got to a town, i finally and backed off. I thought i was just cruising. When i looked down at my speedo, i noticed that i was still doing 95. And that speed seemed slow. Crazy experience.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It was crazy. Not something I would do today. But at the time, it seemed glorious.
    Foiler, RiderRick, JanSerce and 2 others like this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Hola mi amigo,
    Good to here from you. Orsi and I were waiting for you that night at our secret camp spot with some Slovenian wine.
    There really are no bad times for Baja. But if it were me, I would wait until March or April. January and February can be a bit cold in the North, but it depends on what you are used to. Canadians love it there at that time. But my favorite time is October and November. It is perfect in both the North and the South. Plus the water temps are so nice too.
    Enjoy
    Let me know if you need any help
    JanSerce, pceire32 and Pcq like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Stopped for some tacos in Guerrero Negro.

[​IMG]

Orsi feeling the love in Baja

[​IMG]

Loading up on sweets at Baja's favorite bakery in the town of Santa Rosalia. This town was established by the French 100+ years ago. There is even a church that was designed by Gustave Eiffle ----yep that same Mr Eiffle!!!!

[​IMG]

Wait until you see view from our "hotel" we stayed in that night in Santa Rosalia. It is waiting for you and it is absolutely freeeeeeee!
    forgorin, BruceT, Scubalong and 13 others like this.
  10. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, crazy story about the Cabo 1000. You raced it 3 times and lived! Respect. Thanks so much for including the article and all the comments.
    I had a Honda Blackbird a couple years ago, great bikes! Safe travels and take care.
    pceire32 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  11. Pcq

Pcq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thanks amigo !
    I think I’d enjoy it any which way!
    Will keep in touch! Enjoy that ride ; )
    pceire32 likes this.
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    It dropped to 18*C last night in Northern Thailand. I was freezing. I’m officially a bad Canadian
    roadcapDen, damasovi and pceire32 like this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    One of my scariest moments was blasting down a straight-away at 130 mph for miles and miles. Some guys were doing 150 -160 mph. A lot can happen at those speeds - especially on a two lane Mexican roads. The straights are often times dead straight but the road rises and falls so the view is obstructed up ahead. Approaching one "vado" (dip in the road), I couldn't see that there were 3 horses standing in the middle of the road and blocking pretty much the entire road. I saw them at the last moment and came to a dead stop standing the bike on its nose. It took about 15 minutes for my heart rate to recover after that.
    BruceT, Foiler, RiderRick and 7 others like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I hope someone is keeping Joop warm at night. :-)
    Foiler, roadcapDen, RiderRick and 6 others like this.
  15. massio

massio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think that description rings a bell... CBR1000 - great bike.

I was able to dig up an old grainy photo of my record setting ride from '95. Funny story - I actually borrowed it from a friend to do the race then returned it to him after getting home, none the worse for wear and certainly fully broken in!! It was a bit heavy (especially compared to today's superbikes) but fast for its day and super stable.

IMG_6042.jpg
    Your recollection of the cast of characters was spot on and that's part of what made the event so memorable. A few are gone now but most of the others still have a touch of the speed crazed demon inside, with perhaps a little more grace mixed in, hard earned over many years. The gang abides.

I've ridden thousands of miles in Baja since but all on dirt bikes. I've always wanted to do a trip like yours to share the beauty of the land, the people and culture with my sweetheart. The evolution of the wine growing region in the north just provides extra incentive. It will happen soon but, until then, I'll settle for living vicariously through reports like yours. So carry on, and please pardon the interruption.

Maybe give a shout next time you're in the Bay Area and we can swap stories and share a few glasses. Until then, ride fast /take chances.

powderzone, ChadADV, Foiler and 8 others like this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have passed by this house a thousand times and I always thought how nice it would be to camp there for the night.

[​IMG]

So this is where we slept that night in Santa Rosalia. If you watch just one video - this is the one. Pictures don't do it justice. This video captures the spirit in wild camping. If you only focus on the ugly, you can never see the beauty in it.

forgorin, BruceT, Scubalong and 16 others like this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    TJ - you are Bad Ass!!!!!
    And I know you wouldn't say that yourself. I remember you being super humble.
    I was thinking about your accomplishment just the other day. The fact that I don't believe anyone will ever break that record that you set that year. Sure the roads are in better condition but there are more police and more traffic on the roads too.
    I also remember the story you told about just missing that cow at 155 mph.....insane!
    I should be up in the Bay Area in the next few weeks. It would be really cool to have a Cabo 1000 reunion of some sorts.
    Crazy to find out how many people are here on Advrider. It is like Facebook for cool people.
    :-)
  18. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    always carry a gun, knife and such
    advrockrider likes this.
  19. Drybones

Drybones It's an RX3 Cyclone

Oddometer:
    I stayed in Santa Rosalia a few years ago at the St. Frances Hotel. A dog bit my boot when I was riding up the hill to the hotel LOL. It looks like that abandoned house has lost some roofing since the Google Streetview car drove by it. Santa Rosalia abandoned house.png
  20. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    How's the 2up riding on the AT compared to your GS? Had my GS for a bit now. Rented a AT for a day and it was nice. Some good deals out there on low mileage
    AT's.