1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The best rebuttal to EM skeptics

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by ctromley, Dec 18, 2018.

1. johngault

johngault Leaning into it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, sorry my mistake....we all did die a few years ago.
  2. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t you have somewhere else to be?
  3. hevster1

hevster1 The Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    What percentage of my rides go over 100 miles? 99-100%. Most are well over 200. I've owned numerous motorcycles since my first but sticking to street bikes... My 76 KH400 two stroke triple used gas, oil a chain and sprockets and a tube or 2. My 72 H2 blew it's motor soon after purchase-used-and after rebuilding, it was the same as the KH400. Next was the 88 Ninja 750R which required oil changes using Amsoil Synthetic and a kawasaki filter, I managed 5 oil changes in 42K miles. I also did several tires, a Ohlins shock, fork springs and brake fluid. 01 V-strom? Well I didn't have it long as I hated it so gas only in the 1k I rode it. I then purchased a ZZR1200 in 02 and besides oil changes the only thing was a set of Heli-bars. So for a few hundred dollars a year or pennies a mile I had lots of fun with minimal maintenance. Most maintenance I did was the same as any ev owner would have to do.
    Dirt wise my 01 KTM400EXC is still going strong. Every event I ever did was 90-100 miles in length. You know as well as I do that a EV would never have made it near 90 miles on dirt. Also EV's range is limited further by how aggressively you ride.
    BTW, you were supremely lucky with Sandy. Most weren't.
  4. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy, won't mega-mile riders wish there was an electric motorcycle for them. All riding, and little to no maintenance and "fuel" costs that are roughly 1/10 of what they pay. Plug, ride, repeat! I prefer to concentrate getting my yayas out in 1-2 hour doses. Therapy done, I get to do a lot of other things.
  5. mr72

mr72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Assuming, of course, when more people switch to electric, somehow magically the demand for electricity does not increase at all and the supply remains constant. You know how all of those Californians right now have so much extra electrical capacity that we could be using to power vehicles rather than conventional fossil fuel. Oh it will be a glorious day when instead of paying $100/mo for gasoline and $200/mo for electricity I can instead pay $1000/mo for electricity alone and experience brownouts and forced rationing. Who will go on a recreational motorcycle ride of 100+ miles anyway when you have to choose between that or air conditioning in the summer? This is a problem that will sort itself out. Maybe we get really lucky and coronavirus lockdowns will continue forever and demand for transportation at all will be reduced so much that this becomes a moot point, making EVs truly viable for those who cannot go anywhere.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled fantasy world.
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even my electric bicycle rides are longer than 1-2hours! :lol2

Once I stopped commuting on motos (just too dangerous) almost all my moto rides have been nearly sunrise to sunset... every now and then I'll do a 1-2 hour burn but it's far from the norm

Different people, different moto missions
  7. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not fantasy, reality that I enjoy. The future is now. You're not banging the keys on a typewriter or dialing a rotary phone so it's time to evolve from the spark plugs, exhaust and inefficiency. Go electric!
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already have with my bicycle - I doubt very much I'll be going electric any time soon with anything much larger since nothing that is within a reasonable (for me) budget comes close to satisfying my use cases - distances are too far out here and I have no patience to wait more than five (or maybe ten) minutes to obtain 250+mi of range when remote - I don't have to now with vehicles much less expensive and I don't have an endless coin tree
    johngault likes this.