1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The best test ride ever...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SoCalSar, May 13, 2004.

1. SoCalSar

SoCalSar Wudup y'all!!

Oddometer:
    I was riding Angeles Crest Hwy for the first time last Sunday. Hanging out at Newcomb's I saw a 950 sitting in the parking lot. So, I look up the owner to chat a bit. He turned out to be a salesman for Eric's KTM in L.A. and the bike was the shop demo. He ponied up a test ride with no problem. Probably the best test ride I've ever had! Half and hour going up and down the Crest on some great twisties. Of course I looked for and open fire road but there wasn't one to be found. Oh well.

I thought the bike was great. The big front tire feels like it wants to push when the lean angle gets over 20 degrees or so, but it never did. And the brakes aren't the best for fast street riding. I ran out of power a couple of times when really pulling on them hard. But, those two things don't mean a pile of beans in the dirt, and it was plenty fast for what it is. The engine is super sweet. Smooth and revvy and only gives up near the redline. I saw an easy 112 mph. Nicely controlled suspension. I wanted one before, but now I REALLY want one.

Much thanks to the gentleman who let me take the test ride! He knew I lived in San Diego and that I wouldn't be buying until next year. Great guy. I'll definitely make the effort to look up that shop when I'm ready to buy.