The BIG bore 2 smoker thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Rot Box, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    10411374_778623175503524_6402321937890692135_n.jpg 1968 360 Greeves Challenger,not a real Big Bore but its as big as Greeves got. Lives in my dining room
    spokester, Euromad, jimroid and 6 others like this.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A repost 'cause I can. :D

DSC_2404.JPG
  3. guzzirelic

guzzirelic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP asked where we ride our big bore 2 strokes? My DT400C goes everywhere. Commuter, gravel road runner, even weekend touring. 2015 season was a little over 4000 miles. This year I got my '72 Suzuki T250 on the road so the DT only saw 2700 miles. (5000 between the two smokers)

On the Chi-cheemaun ferry heading to Tobermory from South Baymouth Manitoulin Island, northern Ontario, Canada

Relic
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in an area where I can ride around the neighborhood. Trails,dirt roads and the like.
  5. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread is going to be a killer on my pocket book...as i fondly remember my old 2 smokers, and currently drooling over the ktm 300. You guys just aren't playing fair!
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    380 if ya really want the big bore stomp.
  7. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    I found this one on Craigslist here in vegas. Purchased from the original owner, w/only 35mi. total . So he said. Came from a small shop/dealer in northern Utah.
    He had it stored in his shop/garage for about 15 yrs. Non-op. $1200.
    This was my first full frame off refurb. I build em to ride, not show. I have 44 miles/ 4.4hrs since. Quite the beast/tractor. Only drawback , compression is so good, it's a bitch to start. Wears my old ass out ! Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I remember reading about the CanAm's when I was a young guy. Not sure how plentiful these are. Anyone have , or seen? Thanks, G. 2016-08-22 16.52.45.jpg
    JHG67, spokester, NDMX743 and 5 others like this.
  8. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^Thats a heck of a score! I had a '79 370 Qualifier. Same motor with shorter stroke. Swingarm was steel versus your alloy, slightly different body work. Enjoy that ride! p.s. Those are easy starters,usually 1 or 2 "nothing special" kicks.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's become popular to install these to make starting easy. I know they work on big inch Harleys.

[​IMG]

BTW nice ride.​
  10. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, it sure is purtty. If I do say so myself. Lol.
    Is there a certain technique for starting a big bore 2smoke? It's a left kicker.
    I've been thinking of selling just for the simple fact I'm having trouble starting the beast. Its stored in my apartment, dry. Haven't run it in over a year. Its definitely due. Thanks, G.
    spokester likes this.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my '80 YZ465 (a notoriously hard starter) I turn the fuel on,lean the bike over 'til the carb overflows a bit,kick it through twice easy holding the kill button and then give it a good push through. I don't kick it I push the starter smartly remembering to follow through even if it starts halfway through. Not following through is what causes the pain to come. I also lean on a tree/trailer/building and stand on the pegs while starting whenever possible. I'm old and the knees find that easier to deal with. Jetting well even though (it can be) a major pain goes a long ways to making a big bore smoker agreeable to start and ride.
    spdtrpl likes this.
  12. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always follow through with a hefty booting
  13. mudgepondexpress

mudgepondexpress Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can am with a Bing? Hold the trickle button on the carb down until fuel runs out. Stand on the left side holding the bars. Right foot on Kickstart, no throttle, then jump up, come down on the kicker. should fire right up. if you are taller just kick it swift and firm. I had a 1978 250MX, always stared easy and I was barely over 100 lbs at the time.
  14. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an old test on that Can Am 400, I'll post up some pix when I get a chance.
  15. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice inmates, I actually use your techniques almost to the letter mudgepondexpress. Still a bitch though, especially when cold. Once running and all warmed up its not an issue.
    Thats a 38mm flat slide Mikuni from Sudco, jetted to match the original. Which works great when running. G.inV.
  16. RBrider

RBrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this in another thread but won't hurt to do it again.

Davenport Mtn 10-25-13 014.JPG

1980 Montesa VF414 mx'er. Bought NIB , March 1981. Not ridden it in a couple years.
    This pic was taken at Davenport Mtn Off road in North Georgia.

RB
    spdtrpl, JHG67, Rot Box and 4 others like this.
  17. KIM750

KIM750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg 1977 husky 360wr
  18. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Nice looking Husky. I spy a Mikuni on it, would you happen to have jetting specs handy?
  19. KIM750

KIM750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got the 360 and the 1974 250WR behind it in the pic a month or so ago (not a big-bore, so I didn't post a pic--nice bike though). I don't have the specs on the Mikuni. I'm going to take a look at the pilot jet this winter. The 360 runs great, but is a PIA to cold start. The 250 has a Bing and starts first or second kick. Apparently, hard cold starting is a trait of Husky big bores, especially with Mikuni carbs. I was told that a 45 or 50 pilot jet will make a difference. When/if I take the carb apart, I'll pm you the jet specs.

Oh yeah, don't know if you noticed, the 360 WR had been fit with a full lighting kit (blinkers, horn, etc.) and had a title when I got it. It, and the 250, are tagged and street registered.
  20. numbat

numbat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do road bikes count? IMG_0008.JPG
    dynodave and Rot Box like this.