The Big Empty Bites - ER, Abandoned Bikes, Search & Rescue Chopper

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Oct 2, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

Thanks @tundradirtbiker. Was damn cold over there this weekend, camping in a tent when it's in the teens is for the birds. Oh, and my streak of flats continued...5th gear fun in the southern section when I hit a rock - snake bite pinch flat of the tube - completely symmetrical slits from rim impact. Just about pitched me into the sage too when the front end went tank-slapper friendly in the soft stuff out there.

And Murphy laughed as I pinched my spare tube upon replacing. Then, the first patch I applied after pinching the damn spare tube didn't hold, had to re-patch. Then we got snowed on during the ride back to camp :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^The Gay Gay Sex Days^^^ :lol3
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Not sure if that's worse or better than 'clown bike' :lol3 :lol3.

Next time, I'll let you find your own damn puncture in your tire :rofl
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Put another installment together from our trek out to the Big Empty. If you have a few minutes and need a break from the grind, check it out.

5. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat video. High Rock Canyon was awesome from the drone.
    liv2day likes this.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @TwilightZone! I'm pretty sure I could spend a full day or two riding through that canyon with multiple shots from the drone - it's a perfect spot for that type of footage. I really wish I would have taken the time when we were riding close to the canyon walls and through some of the water crossings - even the one I took a swim in :lol3. Another place I plan to spend time getting aerial footage is around Knott Creek Res, had it not been raining, I would've had footage from there too.

I think I have enough unused stuff left to make one more short vid, going to try and cut something together during lunch :D
  7. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"... through some of the water crossings - even the one I took a swim in :lol3."

Hey, we had a Tiger 800 rider take a nice swim too !
    I went through one of the dips pretty quick... I didn't swim, but took a nice cool shower. (KTM 500).
    liv2day likes this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Last installment on the video front from this ride. Can't wait to get back to this area and ride again...and ride the areas we missed because of the weather problems.

9. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the ride, great videos..
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ct-ktm, appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the report! Hopefully, the next one I throw together from this area isn't cut short :lol3 :lol3
  11. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    I gotta go there.

I had a bit of a chuckle when you said "next time we're there" you wanted to get some drone footage up at that reservoir. You are fortunate to be able to say that if you're that able to regularly travel an area like that. So much of what I enjoy about adventure trips is drinking in parts of the world that realistically for me its the one and only time I may ever see what I'm seeing or experiencing at any given moment. Its a beautiful and addicting feeling.

Great ride, kuddos to you all for making it out!
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @BuiltnotBought, appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the report!

I honestly fell in love with that area of my home state several years back during my first attempt out that way - that one also failed because of the weather...lol. Harney County Oregon is the least densely populated county in the lower 48 and there's a TON of BLM land to ride/explore. If you have the opportunity to head that way, I'd go for it. And if you need advice or help with GPX tracks, just ask.

I like how you state what you enjoy about adventure trips, we're really fortunate to have what we do so close - staging for this trip is roughly 5 hours away from home. I feel the same about folks who live down south by Baja - it'd be fantastic to be able to hop on the bike, cross the border, and ride to Mulege or La Paz during a week long rip.

Keep the knobby side down and if you need any insight on what to check out whilst this way, happy to help :ricky :thumb
  13. TawmN

TawmN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR, Brad, was great! I have been in that area a lot, but there's so much more to see! I too went from a Spot to a Garmin InReach and happy with the change!
    liv2day likes this.
  14. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR and beautiful area. That’s definitely going on my list of places to check out. Sweet drone footage in the videos as well.
    I’d imagine that area is under snow in November?
    Looking for a place to ride for 5 or 6 days at the end f the month. Will trailer the bikes down from Calgary and do a loop. Will probably have to aim further south and ride the south half of NVBDR and part of the CABDR.
  15. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    lol! I think for everyone the best adventure ride will always be "the next one"!:D
    liv2day likes this.
  16. zrks

zrks moton00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report; glad everyone made it back safe and sound. Thanks for sharing the lessons learned.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @TawmN! Great to see you checking this forum too, been a long time since I've checked/posted to omra - haven't done as much riding in TSF as I used to. Hope life is treating you well down south, be sweet to live down that way and be able to jump east in a matter of a couple hours and explore all the killer riding we have in that neck of the woods.

Keep the knobby side down man :thumb
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @powderzone!

I'd definitely head further south if you're planning something at the end of November. @Catastrophic Failure just wrapped up a ride that went all the way down to AZ after starting mid-Nevada, check it out if you have a few: Nevada ADVNV- Big Empty II. They had good weather most of the time, though it was chilly in spots.

Hope you're able to make it work, and if you do, please post a report with lots of pictures...need something to keep me going as the PNW rainy season moves in :lol3 :lol3
    powderzone likes this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @zrks! Appreciate you taking the time to read through my drivel and glad you enjoyed the report :D
  20. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting liv2day! Great story, photos and video! And thanks to all whom posted with insight on the inReach. dd
    liv2day likes this.