1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

The Big Empty Bites - ER, Abandoned Bikes, Search & Rescue Chopper

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Oct 2, 2019.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @dammitdave, glad you liked the report :D. Hopefully, folks that head out for this kind of riding (or any outdoor activity where cel service isn't there) think about getting something to help when $hit goes pear-shaped.
    drumoto likes this.
  2. zhousir19820815

zhousir19820815 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good picture.thanks
    liv2day likes this.
  3. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great report. thanks for taking the time to write it up and edit the videos. (great music choices too)

i guess you don't see much traffic on those 2 and single tracks? but they look well travelled.

oh, i'd like to see a pic of the toe now-see how it's healing. and was there visible damage to the boot?

thanks again
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @SpiritAtBay, appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the RR!

Though the tracks are pretty well worn, we didn't see much traffic at all. Have to be careful on the main gravel roads and stick to the right as there's always the chance of oncoming, but the 2-track was virtually empty. That said, the area where we ended up stuck does see quite a bit of side-by-side and quad traffic - at least I believe so. There were tracks that ran up by where our bikes were stuck and they actually ran over part of my tent (though thankfully didn't do any damage). The area is sparsely populated, but is popular with folks from all over - the people that helped my buddy get his gear of his bike were from Reno.

I'll have to ask my buddy to get a shot of his toe and send it over, last time I talked to him he was just about back to normal activities. No visual damage to the boots, just the usual scuffs you'd see on adv boots. Not sure any boot would have helped given the speed of impact, etc. His don't have steel in the toes, but the damage was likely caused by his foot sliding forward into the toe and the toe jamming so hard that it shattered the tip and pushed part of it up through the nail bed. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments, glad to see this is still a good read since it's been a couple months :thumb :thumb
  5. drumoto

drumoto Roadie

Oddometer:
    I have one now! Hah.

td63 likes this.
  6. drumoto

drumoto Roadie

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

I’m the 790 guy. It was great for the trip. But as you can see no bike was good enough. Rocks stuck in the mud likely jammed the counter shaft sprocket and the clutch took a beating. KTM also acknowledged that the clutch was not adjusted to spec when they delivered the bike. They are paying for it. But I’d rather have not been stuck. Love the bike. New clutch. Would have made that tough climb in hind sight. The clutch wasn’t giving full power so that’s why the bike lost momentum going up. I know well to turn off the TC for that hill climb. Neither method had enough drive given the slipping clutch.
    td63 likes this.
  7. drumoto

drumoto Roadie

Oddometer:
    Hah.
  8. MtnRoamer

MtnRoamer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to the KTM Canada Rally this year and one of the KTM mechanics was going over to every 790 he saw at the starting line and checking the clutch lever free play. I might just end up doing the hydraulic swap to get a bit more engagement range and slightly better feel.

I was over in the Steens/Malheur area this summer and they said it was the wettest summer they had seen in 20 years. I had a pretty good off in a muddy section that looked fair on top, but was all greasy mud underneath. I went back again in September and used my InReach after one of our riders crashed. Thankfully he was ok, and it was mostly just to get ahold of his wife and let our recovery crew know we had a rider inbound.
    drumoto likes this.
  9. siswati

siswati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loving the RR - on the Mavic Pro footage at around 1min in your intro video, were you flying the drone or were you using the tracking feature. Have one, but not been in an area devoid of trees so have not tried out the tracking features and would love to hear your feedback
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @siswati, glad you enjoyed the RR!

Ahh, DJI's "Active Track 2.0" - not all it's cracked up to be.

I used AT initially, but had to fly it manually after it lost the subject multiple times. I don't believe they've refined it enough yet. I sold my first MP and picked this one up because of the optical zoom and supposed enhanced AT. Being a marketing guy, I think most of their claim is marketing fluff instead of actual technical progress. They need something better than visual tracking, at least for us riders, it just doesn't work well. Don't get me wrong, the other aspects of the Zoom are great - wonderful at capturing aerial footage, but for this specific usage it falls short. AT does well if you're a slow moving object that easily stands out against whatever the backdrop is. And the spotlight feature is pretty damn cool if you're contained within a relatively small area. But if you're a rider moving at any kind of pace in a changing landscape - it sucks.

You should give it a test when you have time, try both 'trace' and 'profile' modes and see if either of 'em work for you. There's a really good string here: Camera Drones & Motorcycles. Read the whole thing if you want, but the last several pages have a variety of feedback on different drones. I'm seriously thinking about the Skydio 2 as it checks most of the boxes, especially for what I like to do (though I'd miss aspects of the Zoom).
  11. siswati

siswati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick and informative response liv2day. Personally very happy with the optics side of the Mavic 2, and have looked at the Skydio 2 as well. Seen several YT videos of mountain bikers really putting it through its paces in tough woody overhang situations, way more challenging than what I am looking for. From the user feedback I am secretly optomistic that it will do what I want so will probably bite the bullet and get one to try out

PS - you might want to check out my photography website to see what I have been shooting for the past 40 years!
  12. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learn something every day. I have always thought of the 'Big Empty' as the basin in WY I went through this summer between South Pass and Rawlins. I googled it and NV came up first then another in TX. My empty was emptier than your empty.

Great report, pics and videos.

D296--20190716_111023.jpeg
  13. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Navy SAR helo is just that... Navy. By mutual aid agreement the "Longhorns" from NAS Fallon NV assist local agencies for search and rescue issues. They have helos with more capability and more seasoned pilots.

No one will see a bill.
    drumoto, tundradirtbiker and liv2day like this.
  14. squidchief

squidchief Long timer

Oddometer:
    @liv2day : that's part of my stomping grounds. Funny how an area that gets less than 4" of rain a year gets nailed just when you want to ride it. Welcome to Northern Nevada! I've noticed on here an number of threads of ADV'ers who have ate crap and had unplanned adventures in that area. We could almost make up a separate forum! Glad to see you and your party made it out with only a couple of "minor" bumps and bruises.... and yes, I understand the word minor is strictly relative.

I think you guys did fantastic. My only critique is you hit the Miners in Gerlach instead of Bruno's. I'm partial to their fried okra that's served as a substitute for fries! Just sayin'
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the comments @squidchief! Glad you enjoyed the report and I have to admit I'm envious you live in this neck of the woods and get to ride it when you want. In a previous post, you indicated you had contact info for the Navy folks? I'd like to reach out, checked the link one of the other inmates posted and couldn't find a way to send communication.

Duly noted and thanks for the heads up on Bruno's; I will be back in the area at some point (hopefully next year) and will plan to hit Bruno's. Given our sad state of affairs that morning, we were just happy to find someplace with coffee out of the rain :lol3 :lol3

Knobby side down man :thumb
  16. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another brilliant ride report @liv2day! Thank you again for sharing and I appreciate the link from your latest RR
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks @nvklr, appreciate it! This was definitely one for the books :lol2 :lol2. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to getting back to that neck of the woods and riding - beautiful country to explore and enjoy for sure.
    BobcatSig and nvklr like this.
  18. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    All this looks like some serious Type 2 fun with a smattering of Type 3 fun, just to keep things interesting. I look forward to riding out there. :D

Great RR!
  19. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time/energy to post this.
    Felt like I was there (almost).
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @BobcatSig & @budsboy, glad you enjoyed the report! Kinda cool to have it resurface, might have to go back and relive the fun and the pain :lol2

@BobcatSig - happy to provide any intel and tracks if you're heading out that way. I love riding SE Oregon, can't wait to get back to Summer Lake, Plush, Hart Mountain, Fields Station, the Alvord, and the rest of the killer terrain out there. Pretty sure I could spend a couple months just wandering around, exploring tracks.
    BobcatSig likes this.