The Big Empty Bites - ER, Abandoned Bikes, Search & Rescue Chopper

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    All's well that ends well - terrific report, it was cool to see that area which is so different than my own.
    I would guess it's a bit easier to find wayward souls from the air with the sparse vegetation?
    We have a heck of a time in the northeast because of the forests, and there's a lot of it to get lost in - good advice to be using a Spot or InReach.
    Stay safe, and thanks again for taking the time to write it all up - it helps pass the hours during these stay-at-home times.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Careful what you wish for. I may never leave alone. After this spring and all this shutdown, I’m fiending for some Oregon desert.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Vikingtazz, appreciate it! It's definitely one that'll be talked about among our group of misfits for many years to come, no doubt about it.

The biggest aids were the two sets of GPS tracks I laid out transferred to the S&R folks and I believe their use FLIR systems (though that's just a guess). The lack of vegetation helps, but it's big damn country out there; easy to get lost in the sage brush.

And yeah - always have my InReach with me when riding; started using one a couple years ago and never get on my bike without it - woods bike or this type of riding.

Really glad this could provide some relief, I get ya on that front - scouring the ride reports for things to read too. If you get really board, I put another RR up on a ~3 week trip I took to Baja back in '18 (13 days of riding and 9 days of hanging out with family) - one of the best trips of my life :-)
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Believe me, I'm more than happy to talk tracks, bikes, camp spots, camping gear, et al, given the current shut-in lifestyle :lol3 And I'm with you, I cannot wait to get back out to that part of our awesome state.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hats off to Duane....the owner...Eh?.....:clap......
    liv2day likes this.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Most definitely, Duane is good people :thumb I hope others inmates in the PNW take the opportunity to visit and then go off and ride the killer BLM land we have access to; tons to explore and all that starts just a couple miles from Summer Lake. I can't wait to get back out that way in a couple months, need some Oregon Outback riding after sitting on my arse at home for going on 6-weeks :eek7

Glad you enjoyed the report, seems to keep popping back up :lol2
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People love reading about a good tragedy...
    liv2day likes this.
  8. Douf

Douf Limey Bitch

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the report - thanks for sharing. Especially liked the sense of drama created in the narration - a real 'page tuner' for sure! BTW what was the 790 rider doing between getting stuck and being rescued? If I understood the report correctly, it sounds like he might have been able to walk back to civilization/safety?

Cheers!

Douf
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  9. Shane.Carlson

Shane.Carlson Dat guy who does dat ting

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Adversity almost always makes for a better story once people are safely distanced from the pain of the moment. Great pics and videos. Definitely adding some of these spots to the ride list for this year.
    liv2day likes this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR! You now have plenty of "experiences" to inform prospective riders of what lays ahead for them should they choose to join you.:lol3 I've been called reckless which at first I didn't like. Now, I'm thinking it ain't that bad of a label. My SAR was called off when we returned to the trailhead the following morning. Love the videos and what a great place to ride. Thanks.
    liv2day likes this.
  11. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    This winter has been too long. I'm now determined to get out in the Oregon outback.
    liv2day likes this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Liv, finally digested the whole thing. I remember last fall you were mentioning you had an epic with the mud. Yep, you sure did! Great story.
    liv2day likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys enjoyed the report @TheAdmiral, @BobcatSig, @Shane.Carlson, & @Douf!

Thanks @Joe Motocross! Surprised I haven't seen anything from you pop up in the epic forum yet, figured you'd be out roaming the desert wild in your neck of the woods. If you haven't, please get out there and get something going...stay at home, work from home, distance learning...going just slightly more than nuts :lol2 :lol2 :lol2
    BobcatSig likes this.
  14. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scarred for life...:lol3
    liv2day likes this.
  15. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My InReach has proved it's worth, with rescue, assistance, towing. Best time, was connection thru texting my brother who called a service mgr and diagnosed a dead bike after a dirt-nap.
    My Wife & Mom, bought it for me as birthday present, both tired of my off-the-grid camping/riding, without contact until next AM maybe.
    Also called in a SAR for a hangglider down in a wilderness valley once. With my GPS location, and direction/distance from me (as told by his partner) he was found within an hour, injured, hanging from tree branches.

Kinda pricy (plan) monthly, but when you need it, priceless. (InReachExplorer+) I always remind myself as I see their monthly billing.

Great Story!
    Mike B
    liv2day likes this.