The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, can I relate to that story :lol3
    lousgoose likes this.
  2. lousgoose

lousgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good condition stock clutch slave they’d like to sell?
  3. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New owner checking in, just rode it 1200 miles back home from Sacramento.

20210424_183522.jpg

20210424_124439.jpg
    AbeWhat, WAP, racer1735 and 8 others like this.
  4. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Luvit! ^^^
  5. ncj01

ncj01 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry not a SMT... but... close enough

IMG_1494.jpg
  6. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous and I guess I’ll be starting the front end conversion soon to get the SMR look. Also, as much as I am really enjoying the SMT, really enjoying it, I do find it’s just a teensy weensy less sharp turning and such in the twisties than my former 950SM, but that’s probably just me. Regardless, Kev on the SMT website suggests lifting the forks to 10mm and I might try this as well.
  7. MrNemobody

MrNemobody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The real one, with the good wheels and brakes :thumb
  8. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Been some nice taggin' weather in NJ lately :D

[​IMG]

I test rode an SMR for about an hour over the same roads I rode an SMT just before it. I much preferred the SMT because the roads, mixture of fast & slow/sweepers & twisty with elevation changes, were in not such great shape, and the T was more composed and less susceptible to bump steer. Might have been down to ergos; since they are pretty similar mechanically.

I have no doubt that the R would excel on a track or on reasonably smooth paved roads- but the northeast doesn't have an abundance of twisty roads like that.
    dtysdalx2, crackerguy and lousgoose like this.
  9. ncj01

Oddometer:
    ^^i think bike setup, gearing, tire choice/condition/PSI, clicker settings, spring weight, which saddle, etc are probably coloring your experience.

the SMR has better brakes, better suspension, better/lighter wheels. It should out perform the SMT in every catagory except wind protection & fuel range... no matter the terrain...?

I've owned 2 990SMR's, and 4 SMT's.... they are very close, and i'd say in general the SMT is more comfortable and easier/smoother to live with.......
  10. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    And now for a Frankenbike question, wonder if an SMT tank would bolt up to an SMR? Asking for a friend who has a penchant for making pretty things ugly.
  11. ncj01

Oddometer:
    i'm near certain you can make it work, need a lot of other parts to make it work, like the fairing pieces, etc...

the SMR is dramatically less available, so i'd be surprised if an owner wanted to cut it up, but there's always that guy....
    lousgoose likes this.
  12. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Well, I said the ergos could have been the reason. And while I know the R has some better components, I believe that for the vast majority of street riding for most folks the difference will not be that noticeable between these two bikes.
    lousgoose likes this.
  13. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The SMR only has better components, pre ABS models. After that, the components are exactly the same.

That's why I wound up getting a 2013 SMT to replace my stolen 2010 SMR. Getting another SMR was next to impossible, but I didn't see the differences as being that great on the road
    WAP and lousgoose like this.
  14. MrNemobody

Oddometer:
    I've asked this exact question to a dealer yeaaaaaaaaaaaars ago now, and he answer me "yes, but you'll see the ugly holes which are usefull for the front plastics of the SMT".

BUT, you can as easily use a 990 SM tank, which don't have those holes, and have the fuel capacity of the SMT tank i guess your friend need.
    lousgoose likes this.
  15. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    Dunno if anyone is interested but I have a few street going LC8 (Supermoto, SMT, etc.) things posted in Flea, fork sliders and carbon ignition cover. Just an fyi.
    LarsE likes this.
  16. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    Question. After my trip to Black Mountain I had to replace the ignition side cover with a new one as it took a beating on the rock and grit from the drops. Recall that adventure included several left side drops on the dirt/rock where the bike was laying there for long stretches of time, sometimes leaking gas but, I’m sure, also coolant - just found out today I don’t have an overflow drain hose, just the hole in the radiator cap where the drain hose goes :hmmmmmguess the hose was never there or who knows, maybe it got pulled out somewhere down the line. Anyhow, since I was pulling the ignition cover I figured I’d go ahead and replace the oil too as it was about 3k or 3500 miles old. I do all that but then afterwards, I get to thinking maybe my new oil is looking funny? Here it is in the sight glass.
    237C6BCB-23CF-47E2-8520-83D3AB3FCFC9.jpeg

Oil is a bit low here but I start getting worried that maybe I’ve got some coolant in there (possible water pump issue)? I run the bike and it seems mostly fine but does seem to be getting slightly warmer faster in stop and go traffic. Today I pull the tank to get a first time look at the radiator and overflow tank. So overflow tank looks fine as per fill level, not empty or anything, but I pull the radiator cap and see this which looks peculiar as well with a kind of black residue around portions there.
    3A40B942-3B0E-4603-8095-A90B2DEEB21A.jpeg
    Inside the radiator coolant level was down about 2 inches but this could easily have been due to coolant loss when dropped on left side and downhill. Down in radiator, coolant is visibly still blue but maybe, just maybe some “oil” looking spot or two on top but I can’t really tell. Hmm. Bike now has about 13k on it and I’m unaware if pump has been replaced/rebuilt. Since I already have the tank off and so forth, maybe just go ahead and do it? Another issue at play? Is the cap residue natural? Any input appreciated. When I pulled the ITG filter I did notice a seemingly great deal of oil in upper left front. Dunno if that’s related or not.
  17. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That oil does look a bit funky, but not "coolant in oil"-funny. More like there's some crap in there that shouldn't be (dirt or sand) IIRC, my cap had some residue that looked similar to yours when I pulled it, but there were no other indication of oil entering the cooling loop, so my theory is it's just dirt or the coolant is getting old and starting to gum up (when was the last time the coolant was changed on your bike?)
    lousgoose likes this.
  18. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    Yeah, last night I drained the coolant and it looked brand new and completely NOT contaminated at all. Shoot, I didn’t even have the unrelated gunk in the overflow reservoir that some guys have. Regardless, I went ahead and flushed the whole system and all good. Oil change did not indicate a wavy filter nor any indication of contamination there either. I put in new oil and all good for now with first ride being great and oil back to standard color in sight tube. I’m thinking what happened is I’m really bad for using funnels in the garage for various fluids and not cleaning them out properly, and then reusing them by only cleaning visual debris out. I think I may have used a very dirty and/or cross used funnel with my last oil change and hence the slight discoloration.
  19. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Did a high fun/great roads event this weekend called the New Sweden 450. This was a breakfast place pic that I took to send to a friend that had a V4T (a bike he lent me use for a ride and which I loved- but it's physically pretty small) which he sold when he had a child. Anyway, this is one of only SMT pics I have from the weekend.

[​IMG]

When I came out after breakfast, this Scrambler shows up-- just like the one he just bought lol

[​IMG]

The SMT bags are a good size for a weekend trip.
  20. MrNemobody

Oddometer:
    And the frame for the OEM bags allows to put any aftermarket saddlebags without having to buy any rack, in a perfect, narrow and symetrical way.