The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. paolopiloto

paolopiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here make the jump to a SD GT? Pros and cons? A 2017 SD GT was just offered to me for a pretty reasonable price and I’d like to hear if its a worthy upgrade
  2. trippin green

trippin green Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I raised the forks and set the rear shock to the sport setting and find its fantastic. If you are trying for as sharp as the 950smr, you might like one click tighter on the rear for each, and then really dial in the rebound up front to ease the throttle transitions mid corner.

This plus the akra tune makes it a lot easier and smoother in the corners even without feathering the clutch.
    lousgoose likes this.
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't; but I spent a few hours on one. I haven't bought one (yet lol) for what I think is an unusual but very logical reason to me: and I fully understand if others think I'm crazy.

First off, the 1290 SDGT is an utterly spectacular bike: so good that I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied or unhappy with it. It's clearly a better bike than the SMT in pretty much every way (unless you particularly like the 990 engine characteristics). And as far as I'm concerned, it's the best street bike made. So, yes-- absolutely a worthy upgrade.

Ok, so why don't I have one? Well, I also have an 1190 Adventure, and when I borrowed the SDGT when it first came out, it felt pretty close overall to the 1190- and that was re-enforced by the dash, which was identical to the 1190. I wasn't going to get rid of the 1190, and just didn't feel like having two bikes that felt so similar. Don't get me wrong- the SDGT did everything better on pavement than the 1190: but it just "felt" too similar. So I bought another VFR instead lol.

From the VFR, I got a 990 Superduke, and when the riding position from it (and the VFR before it) became problematic for my neck I cast about for a replacement. While a 1290 was in the mix, there weren't many around: and I had good memories of the SMT I test rode years ago. So when one of those turned up, I got it. What made it easier is that the SMT was several thousand dollars less than any SDGT I could hope to find.

No regrets- I did a ~500 mile trip this weekend on the SMT, and it's everything I expected. My only complaint is the seat- it has a Renazco, and I've never really found one of them very comfortable - and I've tried them on every KTM twin I've owned except for the 990SD. I have a stock seat on order for over a month.

Having said all this-- I could see myself getting a SDGT- mostly because I've become a real fan of current lean-sensitive ABS/TC electronics.
    paolopiloto likes this.
  4. paolopiloto

paolopiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I’m in a similar situation, i went from a ‘03 950 ADV-S to a ‘10 990 SMT. Sold the 950 and went to a ‘14 1190 ADVR and have held on to the SMT and ADVR. I see what youre saying about them having too much in common but the smoothness and creature comforts of the 1190 is really tempting. I get the whole hooligan and straight forward appeal of the good old SMT but my riding has partly shifted to canyon carving and on paper the only downside to moving to a SD GT is the dent its going to put in my pocket.
  5. lousgoose

lousgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completely stupid question here, but can you paint the SMT gas tanks? Yes, you can paint plastic but I recall the tank on my former 950SM was sort of breathable - reason decals wouldn't stick to it - so I wonder about the SMT? Obviously, there are ones that have been painted, like orange/white/brilliant black tank models.
  6. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    My high beam is out-- has anyone installed a an LED or other aftermarket H4 bright bulb?

tia
    lousgoose likes this.
  7. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I lowsided my 950 sm and scratched the tank a bit. I painted it gloss black. (automotive two stage paint). It held up fine and never bubbled. Although my decals bubbled off, and the tank expanded so I couldnt catch the rear mount hole without prying it forward with a 2x4. Which is why I wound up selling it. But the paint was mint when the guy came to pick it up.
    lousgoose likes this.
  8. lousgoose

lousgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fun fact: The 990 will run for a couple of minutes without the fuel line attached. And it's possible to think you've attached the line without it actually being on (ask me how I know...)

In better news, I fired up my 990 yesterday for the first time and the water pump hasn't self-destructed yet. Fan turned on at the right time and kept the temps at a good level, and it didn't overheat after I turned the motor off (which it did last year)

But as I was waiting for it to warm up, I noticed a lot of noise coming from the rear cylinder/head. I knew it was a noisy motor and just figured (i) I had forgotten just how loud it was, and (ii) it was louder because the seat was off. But the noise went away as it warmed up, which begs the question as to what could cause it. I did some quick googling last night, which pointed at a possible issue with cam chain tensioner or the cam chain itself. It's apparently a known issue with these motors. Have any of you got any experience with top end noise or changing cam chain parts? It's sitting at around 75k km right now.
  10. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Does it get any quieter when the oil pressure builds?
  11. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think so (I wasn't really paying attention while the pressure was building), it took a good while for it to go away. As the temperature rose it quickly went away entirely. I guess something might have happened after I cranked it a bunch without it firing (it's also not been run since about November)

I'll try it again, paying great attention this time, when I replace the water with coolant. Hopefully it was just a fluke, because I really need my bike next week and I doubt I'll be able to get any parts by then.
  12. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished up today's work in the garage and while there was a good bit of valvetrain noise, the extra noise from yesterday is gone.

Put proper coolant in and took air out of the cooling system. Cleaned and oiled the air filter. We're almost ready for another season of memories, I just don't seem to be able to wrap my head around the chain adjustment procedure. Is the top of the chain really supposed to be 7mm away from the bottom of the swinging arm? That seems incredibly loose. It starts touching the rubber chain guard with a much greater gap at the point where slack is supposed to be measured.
  13. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Out tagging today :D

Shows off some recent changes/additions: the new rear box, crashbars, and Knight Design footpegs.

[​IMG]

A better look at the footpegs. They're a little lower and wider than stock. I've used KD pegs on a number of bikes and have never been disappointed.

[​IMG]

And a little better look at the tail luggage. The orange one was ok: but on a weekend trip a couple weeks ago I was wishing for a bit more room (but not as much as the Givi 37L one that came with the bike lol). This seems like a good compromise solution.

[​IMG]

I added the Kriega seal savers a while ago--- again something I've used on all my USD forks.

[​IMG]
    BoGaRa, LarsE and lousgoose like this.
  14. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    BTW, been meaning to ask, does anyone know what this little "bulb" is?

TIA

ScreenHunter 465.jpg
    IndyTiger800 likes this.
  15. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea what that bulb is, but it's definitely not stock. Looks like you'll have to trace the wires back.
  16. BoGaRa

BoGaRa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice crashbars :), rest of the bike is OK too lol

Wonder what that little bulb is for?

17. BoGaRa

BoGaRa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moved to more hilly area and loving it, also riding way more dirt now(not with SMT :) ). Once you get up in mountains, it's still chilly :) Testing new set of Metzeler M9's and so fas as good as M7's maybe a bit more stickier. will see how it does rain come. 20210530_132117_HDR.jpg
    20210530_134305_HDR.jpg
  18. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Nice, is that near 40? That was a beautiful ride. [​IMG]
    BoGaRa and lousgoose like this.
  19. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Beautiful scenery-- and the white/black SMT is the perfect color there.
    BoGaRa likes this.
  20. BoGaRa

BoGaRa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Very similar and close to hwy40. This is bit Northwest, hwy93 trough Banf heading north towards Jasper. Beautiful riding.
    rick danger likes this.