The big KTM 990 SMT thread -- riders check in w/ photo!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Guy Jinbaiquerre, Feb 23, 2010.

1. paolopiloto

paolopiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode with a buddy the other day and these newer 1200 MTS with the DVT made me re think of switching to a SDGT. The riding position of the MTS is a lot more upright and less cramped for me and the DVT is so smooth I’m starting to consider giving up the good old SMT IMG_0460.jpg
  2. ZAMIRZ

ZAMIRZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^LOL. I check in on this thread because the SMT is a bike I'd like to own at some point, but I spotted that Ducati behind yours in the last photo you posted and did some googling to figure out what year MTS it was and then pinged my friend who used to sell Ducatis and presently owns an MTS what he thought about me getting a newer one (I used to have a 1st gen. 1100S, but that's nothing like the water-cooled models). He said they're all great and has been hard-selling me over text ever since. Go for it!
  3. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've basically all but decided on the SDGT as a (future) replacement for my SMT but those Multis are definitely teasing me... Roughly 30k km service intervals on the new ones. Will probably go with the KTM though, as the nearest dealer is 15 min ride from me, compared to the 3+ hours (with multiple ferries) to the nearest Ducati dealer.
  4. paolopiloto

paolopiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have a chance to check out the newer ones (2015– onwards) i dont think you will be disappointed. My experience with the SDGT is pretty brief and i too had the SDGT drawn up as an upgrade because my other bike is 1190 advr. The commonality between bikes pretty much sealed it for me. Until i actually tried the MTS and got to compare the riding positions. But i see how the distance from a dealer is putting you off especially with the labor intensive desmo service the Ducs have.
  5. lousgoose

lousgoose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, and I’m not trying to drop poo on this but I’ve owned a 1200 MTS and while it’s a great bike I don’t recall it being “a lot” more upright” much even at all. But anyways, comfort and ergos are often as subjective as engine oil opinions so I’m definitely NOT saying what you found was wrong, just saying I didn’t notice. In fact, I kind of had the opposite experience where I feel/felt the MTS was too wide for my tastes as I like dirt bike thin motorcycles. On paper the MTS bests the SMT in nearly any/every measurable category so I’m also not trying argue it over and above. But. Me, I just plain like the SMT better. The smoothness you mention about the MTS, absolutely true for me. Even the power delivery is so kind of linear on the MTS that you hardly notice you are doing warp speed. Handling on the MTS is excellent, especially when you set up the curves well, just rock solid; however, I couldn’t remotely toss it nor flick it much as it just feels bigger even though weight numbers are not that different. Even the engine sound is a nice smooth snarl. So how can this idiot :-)here say that he found the 160HP/1200 MTS to be kinda boring in comparison? I don’t have a good answer. I just do/did.
  6. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not so worried about the services, seeing as I've got a mate who had a Hyper and there isn't a thing we haven't been able to figure out and do on with a motorcycle yet (he's an industrial mechanic and I'm just an enthusiast), but it's the ability to go "oh shit, I need this part today/this week/ASAP" and then being able to actually go get it. I also like being able to go in there and chat with the lads about anything, including technical questions about the bikes, and building a relationship with them (even though my favorite dude quit to work at Porsche)
    paolopiloto likes this.
  7. paolopiloto

paolopiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The ergos i mentioned was about the MTS vs SDGT. I felt the MTS ergos were closer to the SMT which is why i actually enjoyed the short test ride. But i get what youre saying on how it felt a lot bigger. The handle bars of the MTS are wider than the already wide tank.
    lousgoose likes this.
  8. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me start by saying that I know that KTM street bikes are not generally considered as classic (or even not so classic lol) beauties: and, though I think the SMT is decently good looking, I can understand if others think otherwise.

Having said that, I've long maintained that while the 2nd gen MS is a wonderful/spectacular bike to ride it is pretty ugly to my eye from the seat forward. And I say that coming from a Ducati background that started with bevel twins up through the modern 4 valvers.

I wouldn't kick it to the curb from my garage; but having ridden both (though in 2019, so a MS twin, not the V4) I think my upgrade path would be to a SDGT as a sport-tourer.
    lousgoose likes this.
  9. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone considered the Yamaha Tracer GT as a option around the same weight and HP and riding ergonomics long major service intervals and a dealer in every corner store the only thing that concerns me is the perhaps budget suspension . I would be very interested if any one has ridden one and what they think compared to the SMT unfortunately I sold SMT and it is the only bike that I regret selling .
  10. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Never rode one, but with my recollection of reviews I think you summed it up pretty accurately: and the good news is that the suspension can probably be improved for not a ton of money. For me, the lack of lean-sensitive TC/ABS is a deal breaker for buying a new bike.
  11. neilc

neilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another candidate would be the BMW f900xr and can be bought with all the electronics but the lack of dealers ac least in OZ is still a problem and I am personalty wanting less electronics I just want ABS TC and CC cheep service costs as light as possible and for me relay good suspension is a must as our roads are just tenable the Tracer fits most of my needs but the BMW probably has the better suspension but I doubt it is to SMT standard .
  12. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy has a 2017 FJ09 and I've ridden it a few times. I quite liked the triple engine, but I didn't find it a comfortable ride. Compared the SMT, you're feet are up and back a little, in more of sporty ride position, which I didn't find comfortable. If I'm riding an ADV styled street bike like the SMT, MTS or FJ09, I'm riding it because I want my feet right underneath me. We also ride some easy dirt, like dirt roads and fire roads and the clearance on the SMT is much better. The exhaust headers running under the Yamaha make it a little dicey even with a bash plate. Riding together for the last few years, it's pretty clear the SMT is the more versatile bike.

If you were just looking for an upright canyon carver, the Yamaha with upgraded suspension might be the better bike, IMO.
    lousgoose likes this.
  13. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    I know the SMT is not exactly a supermodel per se, but ugh, I just find the Tracer 900/FJ line to be about as Japanese bland as it gets in the looks department. IF I were looking NEW I would give the F900XR a serious consideration. But honestly, I’ve only owned the SMT less than 6 months - tho that’s longer than most bikes I own :-) - and the only bike I currently think would replace mine is a SDR GT or even a well outfitted SDR even with enough wind protection to help me on the longer rides.
    AbeWhat likes this.
  14. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went 990 SMR, to faultistrada 1200, back to 990 SMT.

Oddly enough, my wife found the SMT roomier and more comfortable.

The multi was absolutely rock solid on the road, up to silly speeds and also 2 up. None of the weaving the SMT gets when well into the triple figures (mph).

Fuel range difference is negligible, but slightly in favour of the multi. The multi always felt really wide, but they seemed to have neglected the fuel capacity a bit in this sense. I always thought they could easily have added a couple of litres of height to the tank

The KTM is certainly more fun to ride
    pitbull and paolopiloto like this.
  15. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Out tagging today-- and some unexpectedly heavy rain turned up. The bike is not overheating. I've never had a bike that steamed/smoked up so much while idling in the rain :lol3

Anyone else notice this?

[​IMG]
    BoGaRa and lousgoose like this.
  16. lousgoose

Oddometer:
    Mine does that a lot but so did my 950SM. Of course you had a 950 too so not sure why yours didn’t but yes my 950 would do this a lot as well in wet conditions
  17. LarsE

LarsE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine does it as well, if it's pissing down (which it usually is around here) Water gets thrown up from the front wheel onto the front header and gets boiled off. You don't notice it when moving because of all the air moving. The diesel heater on my van does the same if I stop over a pond. Freaked me out a bit the first time it happened, as it looked very similar to when the coolant hose burst on my old car.
  18. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Never noticed it on the SM or SE- except when going through deep water. Looks like a serious overheating issue when just idling in the rain.
  19. vly

vly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, steams like crazy in the rain at idle.
  20. jhalfhide

jhalfhide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My ducati bikes have also done this. I've had a woman on a petrol forecourt tell me my bike was on fire. Nope, just pissing rain onto hot headers