The Big Versys 1000 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nice Goat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better Supporter

Oddometer:
    New to the United States for 2015, Kawasaki Heavy Industries has given us what appears to be a Ninja 1000 on stilts. :D

Joking aside, the newly redesigned Versys 1000 does share styling with the Ninja 1000, but it has an upright standard seating position, more suspension travel, hard side cases standard, larger adjustable windscreen, hand guards, etc.

In the last three years, I've owned a Super Tenere, an ST1300, an NC700X, and a FZ-09. I liked the upright seating and extra leg room of the Tenere. I loved the poly-cylinder character of the ST1300 and the FZ-09. Liked the 17" wheels and handling of the NC700X and FZ-09. Liked the hard bags on three of them. Did not like the parallel twins very much on long trips, and didn't like the more cramped seating of the poly-cylinder bikes. Didn't like the heat and weight (slow speeds) of the ST1300.

The Versys 1000 LT appears to keep everything that I liked about my previous bikes, and loses what I did not like. There are not many other bikes in the U.S. market that compare with this offering --- at least nothing in my price range. I remember thinking sometime last year how cool it would be if Honda updated/redesigned the ST1100, because that's where my tastes were converging. Bravo, Kawasaki! You have granted my wish!

Mine was removed from the crate today. I'm picking it up Saturday morning. :raabia

[​IMG]
  2. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Nice! One of the things I like about the 2015 model year Versys is all the color choices we get in the US are good ones. For both the 650 and the 1000.

In another thread a 650 buyer was claiming pretty impressive fuel economy. But I read elsewhere that the 1000 has a better fuel economy rating than the 650. Surprising but certainly not impossible. Curious what fuel economy you and other buyers get.
    Dooga likes this.
  3. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm jealous......
    Dooga likes this.
  4. Marinemessenger

Marinemessenger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was passed by a black one yesterday so I stopped at my dealer and they had just received a black one yesterday. He said there were 2 shipped to So Cal so far. This one must have been a test drive bike or from out of state. The bike is beautiful, I would like to see the orange in person. The bags come off and go back on pretty easy. I'm 6'3" and I could sit on it flat footed. Center stand is nice.
    Dooga likes this.
  5. Marinemessenger

Oddometer:
    I think you're going to love your Versys ghars.
    I had a 2012 Versys 650 and it was the funnest bike I ever owned. I totalled it a couple of years ago and am picking up a new 650LT when it comes in next month. I wanted a 1000LT but my left leg is trashed and I was worried about it being a little big and too much power to jump into after a couple of years of not riding and my physical condition.
    But the 650 did everything I needed before. So maybe in a few years if my body can handle it I'll jump into the 1000. Enjoy!!!
    Dooga likes this.
  6. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The riding position of the Ninja 1000 is pretty upright, so I don't know how much different this will be. Hopefully the insurance rates will be a lot better because it doesn't have "Ninja" written all over it. Overall, I think this bike is very interesting.
    Dooga likes this.
  7. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dooga likes this.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

At the bare minimum you deserve some sort of award for not posting this in the Beasts section.
    Dooga likes this.
  9. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes! Silly moto journalists are trying to use the word "adventure" as many times as possible, but this is a sport touring bike. Kawasaki has not called this an adventure bike and they are not marketing it that way. In the press release, Kawasaki called it a "versatile euro touring motorcycle". The first two words are meaningless marketing babble. It's a touring bike.

Here is the press release that describes all of the specs, features, and standard equipment: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT Press Release

Only 20 hours to go..... :clap
    Dooga likes this.
  10. WFO#1

WFO#1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the 1000 checks a lot of boxes for me as well. I've read about the engine vibration. I have no experience with this engine, how big a issue is it?
    Dooga likes this.
  11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    is it out already? Oh my, I thought I had a few more months before I had to find a way to talk the wife into another motorcycle purchase....

I can't wait to see it.
    Muscongus likes this.
  12. TylerSC

TylerSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man. Is that the Ninja 1000 engine? I had one of those, that is an amazing engine. Selling that bike was a huge mistake. All day ergos with stock bars, and a rocket motor underneath.

Slipper clutch, traction control, center stand, standard saddlebags...this is going to be one of the best road bikes ever.
    Dooga likes this.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not even close... The Versys 1k is similar to the 650, or a Strom.
    Dooga likes this.
  14. RobbieAG

RobbieAG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that far off - Ninja 1000 15 deg forward lean, Versys 1000 3 deg. Compare that to ZX10 at 41 deg per cycle-ergo.com.
    Dooga likes this.
  15. fecundity

fecundity Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 6ft 32 inch inseam would definately be more comfortable on the Versys. The Ninja is a nice bike but I like the true upright ergos, centerstand, rack, huge seat, and overall bigness of the Versys.
    Dooga likes this.
  16. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im glad someone started this thread, as I was itching to get one going. This is my #1 most exciting bike of 2015.

gharshman: Im sure you're loosing sleep tonight. Let us know about your first impressions, especially vs. the s10.

Im gonna go stick my mug into the local dealers tomorrow, see if they have any yet to get my bum on. As much as I enjoy my vstrom.... the v1k :eek1
    Dooga likes this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lookin forward to seeing this bike tonight!
    Dooga likes this.
  18. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks great in black..
    Dooga likes this.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    They've been here since last year and I while I haven't ridden one, I sat on the Versys. Yeah there's a big difference between it and a Ninja.

Best comparison I can make is a SV650 and a 650Strom. And it's more upright than my FJR.
    Dooga likes this.
  20. Marinemessenger

Oddometer:
    how do you like the FJR?
    Dooga likes this.