The Big Versys 1000 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nice Goat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks psycho.
    I like the Kaoko. Don't use it a lot, interstate mostly, but it's good for resting my hand and scratching my nose :D.

It sounds like you did the Trace the right way, 180 or so a day and see everything. Sounds like a good trip. It's funny that you mention senility as a potential plus. People often ask me about going back to places I've been before. Hell, I forgot what they looked like the first time . :D
  2. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rolled over 2000 miles yesterday. Is there anything I need to check? I did the 600 mile service
  3. scridercoach

scridercoach Old crusty bast**d

Oddometer:
    No, you should be good until the next scheduled maintenance. It never hurts to do the normal daily maintenance checks, regardless. Chain slack...check some bolts now and then, etc. Just enjoy the bike.

(Personally, I did change the oil earlier than recommended, but only because I was flogging the hell out of her prior to the mileage due. It could have easily waited after I inspected the used oil.)
    ryder1 likes this.
  4. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my ride today I really missed not being able to look at a map. It took me a long time to start using a tank bag and now I miss having one. Or at least a map window. What is everyone using for a tank bag?
  5. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    My wife and I ride v's, me v1000 and her v650. We bought Wolfman tank bags for our KLR's 13 years ago and put them on the versys bikes. They are build to last
  6. 2015V100

2015V100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never really had one on my Versys. I have a phone clip center of my bars a cup holder left side, and secondary light switch right side. My phone connects to my helmet and if i need to know where im at i can google it. If i dont have service i download my maps before my trips so i always got something. Getting lost is part of the ride for me. Jusf need to know general direction.

Picture before the cup holder and aux light addition. IMG_07671.jpeg
    Smaug1 and davyjones like this.
  7. 2015V100

Oddometer:
    Heres one thats up dated. I personally havent found a need for a tank bag. 20171116_083153.jpeg
    davyjones and ryder1 like this.
  8. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    Maps??? Getting lost is more than half the fun!
    ryder1 likes this.
  9. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been know to say.

"As long as you have gas you aren't lost!"
    Smaug1, Milosh and 2015V100 like this.
  10. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't make the best off road bike with street tires and a novice off roader on it.

20190413_154442.jpg

And there are a shitload of places for dirt and mud to lodge itself.
    davyjones, rauchman and ncroadtoad like this.
  11. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy a small pressure hose unit if you are going to do a lot of dirt riding. It will take that mud off in seconds, but don't use it near wheel bearings, electrical connectors and similar.
    ryder1 likes this.
  12. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    It looks better than a clean one in the garage...
    scridercoach and ryder1 like this.
  13. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    So I'll admit, I'm being a bit lazy and not scrolling to look...

Has anyone put a 520 chain on their V1K? Or just stuck with the 525? Was just wondering what your experience was like if you did go 520.
  14. ncroadtoad

Oddometer:
    Hey Coach, I seem to remember, sometimes difficult at my advanced age :D, that a 520 doesn't have the cc or horsepower rating - something to that effect. I may be totally wrong on this, but you might want to double check that.
  15. scridercoach

Oddometer:
    No, your right, but some 520 chains are showing as being rated to 1000cc and there are those out there that seem to advocate that dropping to a 520 has some benefits. I doubt I'll do it, but figured I'd see if anyone had experimented with it.
    ncroadtoad likes this.
  16. iScream

iScream Use the D@m pulloff!

Oddometer:
    I lived close to the north end for years. Haven't been down on much of the MS part but most of the Tennessee section is just boring with an artificially low speed limit. The northern most 15 miles or so is pretty awesome though, except for the speed limit. But the rangers up there are surprisingly lenient as long as you aren't getting really ridiculous. I used to hit it at Leipers Fork and head north and back all the time. Hardly ever went south of there though.

The road is federally patrolled and I heard the judge you will see if you do get a ticket in that part of Tennessee likes to ride bicycles out there and hates the motorcyclists. Not sure whether it's true or not.
    ryder1 likes this.
  17. 2015V100

Oddometer:
    PNW riding today. No rain in sight and the sun actually dried up the area pretty good today. Took the bags off and went out for a 75 mile quick loop. 20190420_205343.jpg
  18. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to start a fight but what tires are people running and what kind of mileage are you getting. I am a street rider except for the 1 or 2 times I venture onto the dirt.

The stock Battlax T30r tires are squaring off at 3000 miles. Yes, I know I should be riding twistier roads but you ride what is around.

Thanks for the help.
    Smaug1 likes this.
  19. de Vaca

de Vaca Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan of Dunlop roadsmart 3's. They handle great, grip well on dry and wet pavement, and last well. I usually don't get more than 6,000 miles on a rear tire with other brands, but a RS3 rear tire usually lasts ne 8,000 +.
    olie, ryder1 and Hammerdown77 like this.
  20. iScream

iScream Use the D@m pulloff!

Oddometer:
    When I asked the same question recently the Roadsmart 3's seemed to be really popular so I bought a set. I've got about 4000 miles on them now and I'm pretty happy with them. I'll probably go back with another set when it's time.
    olie and ryder1 like this.