The Big Versys 1000 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nice Goat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am trying to figure out which top case I want to run on a 2020 Versys 1000. I think I DON'T want the Kawasaki branded top case and by the time I buy all the needed hardware it looks like I'll be spending more money than with an aluminum aftermarket unit.

I am interested in the Givi Dolomtie 30 liter top case in black but I am confused as to their mounting terminology with regard to mounting plates, specific plates, etc. The bike will come from the factory with the rear rack but I cannot tell if I need to buy two additional mounting plates or just one. When I build the bike at GiviUSA it gives me one part number but if I start with just the 30 liter case it gives me another. If someone else has navigated the Givi maze and can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

NC
  2. MJS5761

MJS5761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you like the GIVI, but I too was put off by their mounting systems. I prefer the SHAD 33 liter shown in photos along with my direct mount of the bracket which comes with the case. Cleaner less cluttered bracket also, when the case is off and riding with no storage. The V1K has a great rear rack that is quite substantial and supports this top case very well. I like the smaller, just the right amount of storage, cases for 95% of the time. If I go on overnight trips I add the side cases, but prefer the slimmer girth of the bike without the side cases for most rides. I used some longer/fatter SAE bolts with nylon secured nuts that fit into both the support bracket and the standard slats on the Versys rack. (Photo shows the bolt pattern without the slick cover that goes over the bolts). Very universal system.

Attached Files:

3. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    Looks nice. Glad I'm not the only one confused by Givi's terminology. I'll check out the Shad as while I like the Givi, I am open to other options as well.

NC
  4. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out my post on the previous page of this thread if you want to see the 30 liter black Dolomiti case on the bike. Any Givi monokey base will accept a Givi monokey case like the Dolomiti. I think the replacement rack plate from Phil’s farkels is the way to go; it replaces the plastic plate with a strong aluminum plate. If you get the SW Motech pieces, they bolt onto the rack and allow any Givi monokey case to mount directly to the plate; no need for a seperate mount plate. See philsfarkels.com.
  5. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    I am looking at the Moto Werks highway pegs and naturally the website states that they only work on 2015-2019 bikes. Given that the major redesign was in 2019, is there any reason that the mounts will NOT work on a 2020? The not-so-helpful person online simply stated that they don't make any products for the 2020 model. I guess there is some liability there but I was actually asking about highway peg recommendations but whatever.

NC
  6. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    Exactly the case I want to add and in the same black finish. Looks good. I'll probably go the Phils farces route.

NC
    SantaFeTrailer and de Vaca like this.
  7. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is an excellent case, waterproof, well built, and big enough to carry all I need for day rides, or in conjunction with the side panniers for a long trip. I'm not a fan of large top cases. I also have a Givi 47 liter case, but never use it anymore since acquiring the Dolomiti. If you do go the Phil's farkels route, double check with him that it still fits the 2020. I doubt that the rack plate has changed though.
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  8. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Changing the oil on my buddies 2012 Ninja 1000 the other day and the oil light wouldn't go out afterwards. He tells me that sometimes people say they need to "burp" the oil filter to get the air out. Sure enough loosened the filter and let some oil puke out while it was running and everything was fine afterwards. I see in this thread there was discussion of that happening a few years ago.
    Just wanted to add myself to the list of people who have seen it.
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  9. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    Good advice. Now maybe I'll follow my dad's recommendation to fill the oil filter prior to installation. Not sure whether the filter is vertically oriented or not so that may not work anyway. But at least I placed a deposit on the bike and pick it up tomorrow. Woo-hoo!

NC
    Bad Dad and de Vaca like this.
  10. Chris-KH2PM

Chris-KH2PM Kawasaki Versys 1000 & KLX650 Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I change an oil filter, I fill it with fresh oil and let the paper element soak it in for a few minutes. I've never had to burp mine, nor had the oil pressure light stay on for more than a few moments.
    Bad Dad, BlueRidgeKat and olie like this.
  11. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how do you find these guys with a passenger? on my v-strom the side cases are really high and dig into my wifes legs. She's wanting something like a Voyager, but not really my style :)
  12. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's fantastic for a passenger. My wife and I have travelled on a 10 day Rocky Mountain trip, a 8 day Pacific Northwest and plenty of weekends. I'm not small, 6'2" and plus size, she is 5'6" and weight proportionate.

IMG_2092.jpg
    BlueRidgeKat and tennyis like this.
  13. Stromcat

Stromcat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weight proportionate.Love it.You should be a diplomat!
    jmlmjmjm likes this.
  14. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Hi folks. I might pull the trigger in a '15 in the coming days. I had an 08 Vstrom 1000 and it was a tad too small. I drove 2 hours to check out the Versys only to find a cut down seat and lowering links installed. Me being 6'7" I'm looking for more legroom. It was tight the way it was set up, but waist up the fit was just dreamy. Can anyone recommend a taller than stock seat? I'll see about getting a set of stock rear links and restoring the ride height as well.
  15. Arcwn

Arcwn Wheeeeeeee

Oddometer:
    Can't help you with a seat but MotoWerk has peg lowering brackets and highway peg mounts if you want even more leg room. They also have bar risers. I have them all on my '18.
    https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-1000
  16. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, having difficulty finding new front pads for my 2016. Only ones I found searching here is Galfer HH Sintered FD107G1370. Any other ones out there? These are backordered on Bike Bandit. All the other ones BB say fit, look differently than the Galfers
  17. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding my FJR a lot after undergoing the recall. The Versys has been neglected for a time. Rode it today, and like every time I'm on it am reminded what an excellent bike it is. 20210515_135148.jpg
    rauchman, Chris-KH2PM and MJS5761 like this.
  18. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    28170 miles and the low beam failed. I don't know about this bike. :jack

That was really the only problem so far.
    MJS5761 and de Vaca like this.
  19. Nogoingback

Nogoingback Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why The Frequent Spark Plug Changes?

This may have been covered previously, but the spark plugs on my 2016 Versys 1000 are supposed to be changed every 7600 miles!
    Anybody know why, and whether it's really needed for some reason. The plugs in my wife's Honda are good for 100,000 miles.
  20. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right! My 14 Vstrom 1000 low beam burned out at 22,000 miles! Not to sure about these modern bikes, ha!