The Big Versys 1000 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nice Goat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. johnQ6pack

johnQ6pack ALT-Mid

Oddometer:
    Many have great reviews. My tall wife vetoed the bike after 1st trip to TN.
    “We” have a Voyager now, “I” have a ninja.

I like having her on the Voyager, the V1k was a handful with her height on low speed maneuvers.

It works well all around. Wife doesn’t care for performance on a bike, and the voyager doesn’t disappoint.
    Happy wife, happy life.
  2. Frankencycle

Frankencycle Margarita????

Oddometer:
    They're iridium plugs I wouldn't change them until I get the valve check at whatever it is 15,000 miles and I probably wouldn't change then I just inspect them. My 2 cents
  3. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the topic I am about to bring up will likely be met with shoulder shrugs and that I am okay with but don't direct harsh comments my way.

I took my new Versys 1000 for it's inaugural ride on Monday. Had a miserable time. I liked everything about the bike but the wind noise/flow/buffeting or call it whatever. When I got home I rode the bike back to back with GS and that bike was whisper quiet by comparison. Apart from the wind knocking my head around constantly, I also had enough high frequency vibrations to rattle the visor. Not the peak on the helmet but the drop down sun visor in my Scorpion helmet. While in the down position, the wind would impact the helmet in such a was as to get plastic on plastic vibration that buzzed loudly in my ears.

We all know that wind noise is even worse to debate than "which oil to use" but at least oil has weights and formulations that accomplish different things. Wind noise and buffeting are open to a lot of interpretation, especially when we bring rider height, weight, profile, ride position and personal preferences into the foray. I have ordered two replacement windshields and will also try taping over that large hole in the stock unit to see if its addresses the issue.

While I love everything about the bike, the wind noise and helmet rattle have to be eliminated. I probably should have test ridden the bike but I don't think an around the town 35 mph ride would have done anything. I normally test ride for control operations, engine vibrations and other easy-to-detect items the many people would agree on. For instance, are there high frequency handlebar vibrations or aren't there? Most people can agree on whether or not they are present. Now whether they are intrusive or not is another matter altogether but nobody disagrees and says they aren't there in the first place. But wind noise is so subjective and there are so many variables I tend to think we all just cross our fingers and hope we get along with the bike and DON'T have the issue I am now facing.

But if anyone here has experienced what I have experienced and found a definitive solution, please let me know. I already have a Puig and Cal Sci on the way but if neither of those two work, I have a big expensive choice to make. I have had lousy hearing my entire life due to congenital birth defects so I really need to take care of what I have and of course I use ear plugs. In addition, I won't enjoy a ride with the bike in it's current from and will defer to my GS for road touring even though I really like the sportier nature of the Versys.

I have seen others in my position and my heart went out to them. Now I am that guy and I hate being him.

NC

[​IMG]
  4. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue on my Tenere and surprisingly I found that using a large tank bag made a bigger improvement in wind noise and buffeting than any of my windshield changes. YMMV

I'm assuming that you're already using earplugs.
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  5. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    Earplugs mandatory and I've edited my post to reflect that.

NC
    Achtung likes this.
  6. MJS5761

MJS5761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NumberCrunche, I have the 2019 SE with the wind screen you describe as it has the negative vacuum hole. I heard many times that folks waste a lot of money on wind screens, where that is not the problem. I have found that the helmet can be the main culprit from bike to bike as the design of the crown and associated vents, etc affect wind noise. I agree that this needs to be solved to enjoy the bike. I am 6' tall and use a Nolan N105 modular with a sun visor. On the lowest setting, I find the best overall performance to negate buffeting and wind noise. I came off a 2014 FJR that I liked, but wanted to lower weight and features of the V1K SE. On my FJR with the same helmet, the stock screen was either the way down on hot days or moderate speeds, or all the way up on the highway (No in between worked). So I say, try another helmet that you already own and test it. My Versys is smoother at all speeds than my FJR was, and it was smooth also. There is little if any vibes in the grips, and none on the pegs. Only at 6K there a a brief buzz in the seat, but my FJR had that at the same speed, but more like 5K RPM (it's an I4 thing)[​IMG], but not continuous as that speed is about 100 MPH on a pass only.

So, new bikes always give us pause as we spend (sometimes large amounts of money) on them, and then we subjectively evaluate somethings too quickly and throw money at the problem that can be solved other ways. I like to take time and use the bike as is and get to know it well before changing a bunch of stuff, especially on a totally loaded machine like this one.

Try somethings with the helmets you own, mess with the 2" adjustability on the manual screen, pick a spot and leave it. Also, everyday is different and the wind blows all over the place in different direction on different road surfaces that could make for an incorrect diagnosis of the wind problem. I feel your pain, so was inclined to share as I gave you input previously. I have 5K miles on my bike with a little over a year of ownership for perspective. I also ride a Versys 300X and recently sold my Ninja 500R. Both of those have wind protection also, but each was different and the Nolan works fine with all of them.[/QUOTE]
  7. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

Points taken. I am also, coincidentally, about to order a Nolan helmet that has no peak. It is the N70 2 Gt. ANY helmet I buy has to have a drop down sun visor but I don't care about a flip open front or if it is modular in design. The colors offered in the USA are lame on this helmet so I'll likely order from Europe to get a cool looking one. And while I have yet to try a different helmet on the bike, the Scorpion was really quiet on my GS so I tend to think it is the bike. But having a non-peaked street helmet for a non-ADV bike does make sense. I love getting to spend money when it isn't just something that I want, but also something that I need.

Thanks again. Love the bike otherwise.

NC
    roccordr and MJS5761 like this.
  8. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I removed the screen on my bike and it helped me.
  9. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    I'll have to sell the bike before I do that. No screen on a touring bike makes about as much sense as adding one to a Ducati Panigale. I shudder to think at the loss but I need to be able to have wind protection in a fairly quiet environment. I have owned many bikes that meet this requirement so it should be possible. With my hearing situation, I need to recognize it is best to not fight a battle that cannot be won. Fingers crossed one of the two new windscreens allows me to pull out a clutch win. I'll know in a week.

Looks like you have now a DR650. Did you sell your Versys?

Ironically, I had a DR650 years ago and really liked the bike for day trips in rough terrain. Not saying I'll sell the Versys for a DR650 but if I CANNOT get the wind noise taken care of and HAVE to sell the bike I would have been better off with the DR650 as that bike was a known quantity for. Sure the bike would need $1,000 in suspension work but I'll lose 4k on the Versys if I cannot get it to work out.

Jeez this passion can drive you insane and broke at the same time.

NC
  10. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have both. I am looking for an engine for the dr. It blew up a few years ago. I guess I am more of a naked bike rider. I removed the shield on the vstrom and my bwm rt.
  11. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW I dont remove the screens, but typically try to get the smallest one that I can find.
    I have never been able to get a screen (or system) to give me full coverage and no noise/turbulence.

I am pretty content if I can get the wind load off my chest, but still keep my helmet in smooth air flow.

20210507_111337.jpg

20210507_111353.jpg
    de Vaca and NumberCruncher like this.
  12. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere about moving the shield farther away from the bike by using spacers.
  13. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a windscreen spoiler. I have a 2017 Versys, added the Kawasaki touring screen (basically the stock screen for the '19+ V1K), then added a small MRA (I think that's the brand) spoiler to that. I can adjust it to where it is SUPER quiet at high speeds. Downside: to get it that quiet, I have to look through the windscreen rather than over the top.

Here's a pic for reference.

[​IMG]
    olie, BlueRidgeKat and NumberCruncher like this.
  14. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:

I'll order one tomorrow. I love the bike other than this issue. What are those large black "dial looking things" in-between the two mounting screws. My bike doesn't have those and I wonder if something may be missing.

Anyone know if the screen from the 650 will bolt on to the 1000 that comes with the screen shown here?

NC
  15. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are the adjustment knobs to move the screen up and down for the previous generation V1K. I'm not sure where the adjustment knobs are for the 19+ V1K.
  16. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    LOL. I took a look at my bike again and I have the large black brackets on my screen covering up those knobs. I ordered the MRA and if that doesn't work I'll just live with it.

NC
  17. Gouda

Gouda n00b

Oddometer:
    Longtime lurker, and just joined in order to respond to this post because I was that guy too!

I have two Madstad screens, an 18" and a 22" and I highly recommend this brand. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. The 18" was just a bit short and I found that the top of my helmet was up in the wind flow, creating extra noise, and mild buffeting above 80mph. If I slouched a couple of inches, it quieted down, so I bought the 22" screen. The only drawback on the taller one is it almost blocks too much airflow. If it's cold and wet, my visor is more likely to fog because my helmet vents aren't getting as much flow. If it's hot out, I don't feel the cooling breeze as much either. In the winter, I run the 18" screen to keep that flow to my helmet to blow the rain off my visor and to keep it from fogging. In summer, the 22" goes back on for smoother high-speed sporty touring.

On the positive side, everything is quiet enough up to about 75mph that I can easily hear the tires rolling and the mechanical engine noises. Above 80 and the wind noise starts to get louder and drown those out. I don't experience buffeting even into triple digits. The screen itself is adjustable to tilt forward and back, and slide up and down. I have the 22" on the lowest setting, and tilted all the way back toward me. I keep it low because my line of sight is just slightly over the top in that position. Tilting it back all the way is the quietest angle. I occasionally tilt it forward a little as the weather cools to block a little more cold air, but at the expense of some buffeting at higher speeds. Any further forward tilt than the first notch or two results in pronounced buffeting over 45mph, so I don't go there. I can easily see over the 18" screen in all height positions, but I only put that one on when I want a short screen, so I always run it at the lowest setting. Wind noise is increased compared to the 22", but I feel that air flow quite a bit more. Until I bought my first aftermarket screen, I also took the OEM screen off and rode it without one. Great, clean air, but obvious drawbacks to no screen on a light touring bike.

The Madstads are good enough that I haven't felt the need to try another brand for the Versys. They fixed the awful wind noise and buffeting I had with the OEM screen and made the bike a keeper. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the 20" screen only, which I imagine should have enough adjustability to fit my winter vs summer airflow preferences. Hope this helps!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have the 2018 Versys 1000.
    Dranrab Luap and alekkas like this.
  18. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    Hey Versi, two questions:

1. I put my seat on wrong, apparently (?) in that it doesn't seem fully in place. However, now I can't remove it. I am turning the key to the point where I am sure it's going to twist and can't make it budge. Thoughts?

2. Has anyone figured out if you can get the ECU reflashed to remove the 85 MPH limit on the cruise control?

edit: I contacted several tuners. It doesn't appear that anyone works on the Versys ECU. Steve at Shodoben rides a Versys himself and says there is just no interest.

edit2: I sat on the seat and leaned down and was able to open it.
  19. Slasage

Slasage Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for raising the topic. I've been struggling with hearing protection in general on this bike (2016 V1k w/Puig windscreen.) by experimenting with all sorts of direct in ear devices but can't get rid of a rumbling sound. It's so strong it's painful & I have to remove hearing protection after less than 30 minutes. Tried 2 helmets, 4-5 different in ear devices, multiple adjustments on the Puig. Even put the factory screen back on. Not sure what I'm missing but might have to go out and by a tank bag now, :jump.

Appreciate this discussion...many great tips/opinions above!
  20. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know this is a subjective question but how many miles before the front brakes need to be replaced?