The Big Versys 1000 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nice Goat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My V1K-riding buddy says the Puig screen made a big difference and only gets wind noise due to his helmet. He's 6' and uses an Airhawk. Up on Mt. Petit Jean outside Little Rock last week.
    [​IMG]
    rauchman, Arflatfoot and Chris-KH2PM like this.
  2. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    My C14 has almost 95k miles... I am 72yo and I am looking for a comfortable long distance sport tourer with a few goodies not available on the C14....
    the current Versys have some of those features like Cruise Control, QS, etc ...
    what are the differences between MY 2020 and 2021 other than color and skyhook suspension??
  3. Arflatfoot

Arflatfoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, Late 2019 I traded my Versys 300 in on a leftover 2017 V1K. I am vertically challenged at 28.5” so using Motoworks links I lowered it 1” back and front. I shaved the seat also. I am using a VStream touring screen for a little more protection. I removed the rear rack so I could get Buck closer over the axle and right behind me. Less vibration and bouncing that way. Love the Big V. We go a couple hundred miles every week. Backroads in Arkansas are nice! I have been riding 51 years. This one is sweet. 158C0B46-5C0E-4A03-941B-3AB7ADFCDC93.jpeg
  4. brider

brider Long suffering Cub Fan NO MORE!

Oddometer:
    When you lowered the V1 could you still use the center stand?
  5. Iceman63

Iceman63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is that screen on your V1? Like you, I like a smaller screen...in the summer, at least. I have a Vstream I use in colder weather. But I have cut down my OEM screen for hot weather use as I like airflow. It works ok. But I did not do the prettiest job of cutting it down.
  6. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the MRA SP "Sport" screen for the 12-14 Mk 1 bikes.
    It works on the Mk 2 bikes but I did have to add a couple of spacers to push the screen out a little.
    The Mk 1 bikes have shorter adjustment bars and the curve of the screen causes it to hit the longer bars on the Mk 2 without the spacers when it is in the full lowest postion.
    Iceman63 likes this.
  7. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s still on his bike......I suspect, the lift has to have increased quite a bit. :hmmmmm
  8. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems that one of my fork seals is leaking. Has anyone been successful with cleaning the seals without removing the forks? If I do need to remove the forks I will upgrade the springs since I am not the average size Japanese rider. Any suggestions on where to get the springs?

9. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining to contribute.
  10. Bud Holly

Bud Holly n00b

Oddometer:
    This worked for me:
    https://sealmate.net
    ryder1 likes this.
  11. Arflatfoot

Arflatfoot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry! I just saw your question. I can use the center stand but I roll the rear tire over a 1" block. You really have some heavy lifting to do if you don't roll it up on something. I cut the side stand down and bolted on the large pad from T-Rex. The bike handles fine. I don't ride as "sporty" as I did years ago - I haven't dragged any hard parts with it lowered.
  12. Bud Holly

Bud Holly n00b

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Zumo XT GPS for my 2021 SE. Can I plug into the 12 volt socket on the dash?
    Any reason not to?

Thanks.
  13. brider

brider Long suffering Cub Fan NO MORE!

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  14. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
    A fitment issue that I am soliciting opinions on.

The Cobra RAD 480i fits nicely above the screen and under the dashboard. It is out of the worst of the weather, and hidden enough that there is plausible deniability if the user (i.e., someone more irresponsible than me) gets pulled over. There is also mostly plastic in front of it so it's range shouldn't be too badly affected.

Do any of you have a suggestion as to how best to secure it in that space. There isn't really any room for brackets. I thought maybe some super velcro on the top of the screen and bottom of the detector, but there's not much surface area there. Maybe building out the back of the screen (and even front) somehow to get a better shelf for it to sit on?

The underside of the dash is curved, and the top of the detector has various protrusions, so velcroing it to the top won't work. Although... can I mount it upside down?

[​IMG]
  15. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer social distancing since before it was cool

Oddometer:
  16. gleite311

gleite311 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I replaced mine early because I wanted more aggressive pads. I went with Galfer 1370 HH pads and like how they feel a lot better than the stock ones. This was done at ~11,500 miles and the stock pads still had plenty left on them.
    ryder1 likes this.
  17. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motonirvana likes this.
  18. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    I'm looking hard at Gen 2 bikes. Is this a MadStad windscreen and if so, would it be difficult to take it back to stock? I'm assuming the current owner doesn't have the stock screen any longer. May know more tomorrow. Thanks!

a19a_l.jpg

82c0_l.jpg

c278_l.jpg
    rauchman likes this.
  19. Frankencycle

Frankencycle Margarita????

Oddometer:
    That's what it appears to be. It wouldn't be difficult but you have to have all the parts and there are several of them. I would try the MadStad you might like it. Heck if you don't, I may be willing to swap with you.
    Jetpilot5 likes this.
  20. Jetpilot5

Oddometer:
    Dealer confirms it is a MadStad. I’ll give it a try if I buy the bike but generally like to start from stock before I make changes. I looked at the parts fiche and it does appear there’s quite a few parts required for the stock screen. A straight up swap could be a possibility. I’ll keep you in mind and post if I get her bought. Going to look it over and give it a ride tomorrow.
    Frankencycle likes this.