The Big Versys 1000 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nice Goat, Jan 22, 2015.

1. DRconvertible

DRconvertible Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer:
    IMG_1791_S.jpg

Became a Versys 1K owner this week.

I went into one of the local dealerships this week intending to make a deal on a new V-Strom 1050 XT Adventure. When I walked into the nearly empty dealership I was immediately approached by a salesman and I began to play the game -- don't know what I want, want some type of sport-touring or Adventure bike, walk around and throw a leg over everything but the V-Strom.

After sitting on a few bikes, I came to this striking, green, leftover 2020 Kawi sitting at the end of the row. I sat on it, knowing I wasn't here to buy a Versys, and jumped off after a minute.

"What else do you have," I asked.

"Do you know about the V-Strom? We have a couple over here." I've owned both a first generation 650 and 1000 DL, and knew the bike well. I walked over to the DL1050 Adventure.

"Ahhh....there you are. My next bike," I thought.

I threw a leg over the V-Strom and started manipulating controls. I was underwhelmed.

"That Versys was pretty nice. Maybe I should look at that closer," I thought again.

I looked at a Triumph and a KTM and eventually moved back towards the Versys. I checked it closer this time. It felt good. It fit me well. The controls felt high quality. It felt light coming off the center stand. It felt large, in a good way.

"This thing's been on the floor a while. They're willing to deal on it," the salesman said.

That was what I needed to hear.

After a few hours of back and forth, settling on a deal way below the 18K msrp, and a test ride, I rode my new Versys home.

I put 100 miles on it this morning, frustrated with the break-in limitations but impressed with how smooth and quiet it runs and how well it handles. The seat sucks, but I already had a date in queue for Russell and so it will have a new seat this fall.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This the replacement for the king?
  3. DRconvertible

Oddometer:
    It is.
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. MJS5761

MJS5761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats DRconverable! I made my purchase of a 19SE in Dec. 19, pre-pandemic and got a great deal before the shut downs. After really looking at all that is offered on the SE compared to lots of other bikes, including the Ninja 1K that won't support a center stand, it checks the boxes. Fast, comfortable, as you said-super easy to put on the center stand, balanced, and high quality controls. Really a huge step up from the original that I test road and knew immediately that I had to have that I-4 motor. I missed it in my 14 FJR that I sold. I get 55 MPG around the CO with our elevation running mid-grade. My FJR and ST 1300 also achieved remarkable MPG, I think due to the efficiency of those motors with high torque. I also like the tone of the exhaust and Kawasaki hum while cruising. The V1K also has a higher gear box than the Ninja even though it has 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket. It's super smooth on the highway at 80-90. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5. DRconvertible

Oddometer:
    I like that black and white. That was the color that was just a little slower than the green, right?
  6. MJS5761

MJS5761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, Kawasaki in Green will always be the fastest! I do like the Flat White on the sides and the Flat Black on the tank however and the front has a Flat Spark Black that the bugs clean off easily, and no waxing.
    Another thing I did not mention is how much I really like the quick shifter which is a first for me on this bike. I figured it was just a novelty until I started to use it and understand how and when to engage it. That combined with the slipper/assist clutch adds another layer of "ease of use" that I never had before. Also, the combination of analog tach with the excellent TFT display provides easy to see functionality with the old school rev meter.
    Chris-KH2PM and DRconvertible like this.
  7. DRconvertible

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything you say above. In my opinion it's a well-sorted sport tourer with good suspension, plenty of travel and ground clearance, and ergos that work well with my dimensions.
    villageidiot and MJS5761 like this.
  8. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of fan questions. I have seen the temp rise to 212F or 100C (and maybe a bit more) and have not heard the fan come on. I would assume the fan would come on by boiling point.

There is no error message (or maybe I don't know how to check)

At what temperature does the radiator fan come on?

Does the fan stay on after the bike it turned off?

Thanks for the help and info.
  9. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since the rad and cooling system are under pressure, the boiling point is higher than the sea-level, open pot boiling point temp, which is 212F or 100C. I've never heard the fan on my KTM 1290 SDGT, either. If it doesn't spew out the overflow, it's not overheated.
    ryder1 likes this.
  10. DRconvertible

Oddometer:
    In my experience, limited as it is as my bike just hit 600 miles, my fan comes on at 212. I have not noticed it running after shutting down, but again, my experience with the Versys is limited to two weeks of ownership.
  11. MJS5761

MJS5761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience with 2019 SE is same as noted by DRconvertible with 6K miles in Mile High + climate. The only time it gets anywhere near the 212 temperature in CO is when stopped in traffic on hot days as the V1K runs pretty cool between 165 - 180 degrees while moving and the open engine compartment helps with natural air cooling. Some 1000cc + machines with full sport faring hold in the heat more than the V1K.
    Also, the TFT display on this model shows both the ambient and engine temperature at a single glance.
    DRconvertible likes this.
  12. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will have to check the fan tomorrow. My ZRX the fan would come on in traffic and run after shutting the bike off.
  13. Chris-KH2PM

Chris-KH2PM Kawasaki Versys 1000 & KLX650 Supporter

Oddometer:
    The temperature range of the relay that turns the fan on and off is very narrow at 208-212 degrees F.
    When the fan does turn on, it won't be on for very long.
    It'll cycle the fan on and off between 208-212 until you're moving again and there's airflow.

The fan may be too quiet to hear when you're sitting in traffic with the engine idling.

Here are the specs from the service manual:

1534B3CC-21DB-44A2-8E7F-B720F03A469A.jpeg

DB588A6B-C685-4C42-8311-980903476FCF.jpeg

Ride more, worry less!
    DRconvertible and MJS5761 like this.
  14. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out enjoying the big V before it gets too hot. 20210723_130207.jpg
  15. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info @Chris-KH2PM

I didn't get a chance to change the oil today but should be able to do it Monday and idle the bike until hot for the fan to turn on.
    Chris-KH2PM likes this.
  16. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The coolant fan is definately on at 212. I am not sure when it turned on. Yhe fan is hard to hear. If there is a mouse farting within a 100 feet you will not hear the fan. The fan does shut off when the bike is off.
    Chris-KH2PM likes this.
  17. Chucksklrst

Chucksklrst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No words, just time for some pictures. 2019 Versys 1000ES 13000 miles.

SAM_6095.JPG SAM_6100.JPG SAM_6102.JPG
  18. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over loaded for camping.
    20210810_132757.jpg
    Chris-KH2PM, MJS5761 and de Vaca like this.
  19. de Vaca

de Vaca Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good. I've thought about taking my windscreen off too for summer use. Were the screen brackets easy to remove?
  20. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Had to remove the panel with the push in pop rivet and 2 screws.
    de Vaca likes this.