THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. elgringo-inaz

elgringo-inaz El Gringo

Oddometer:
    BW200 Leaking a lot of oil from what appears to be the kickstarter shaft. Is it hard to change the seal? I think I ordered ( hopefully correct) new one off ebay. Easy fix?
  2. Bosshog8

Bosshog8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Easy as could be. Pop the old one out using whatever you like. Some people use screws, hooks or pullers. What ever you want to get it out and then just use the appropriate socket to put the new one back in.
  3. Schaefer190

Schaefer190 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.

I went a long way back and any links I found are dead.

Has anyone ever sourced out a replacement muffler for a BW200?
    My 85 has blown out, and is rusted paper thin for most of the rest.
    Rebuilding would be pretty tough.
    Pipe is fine so a similar muffler welded on wouldn’t be out of the question I suppose.
  4. Bosshog8

Bosshog8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no experience myself but I have seen a TW200 used as a replacement. It's likely a very close match as far as fitment and there are still new ones for sale.
  5. sixpepper

sixpepper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tw200 head pipe will work, you may need to cut off about an inch seems like it was a bit longer than the BW, {25 years ago}
    but the muffler end is another problem, I have tried for years to find replacements, if you are good at welding you can cut off the muffler
    and add a short 1.25 diameter length pipe to the "middle pipe" there will be a middle pipe when you cut the muffler off...then use something like
    in this link.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperTrapp...171393&hash=item48a1e95b8f:g:P2YAAOSw1G1ZrwhM
  6. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about getting something like a stock WR250 muffler and adapting that?
    Plenty of guys throw them away and fit aftermarket loud exhausts. Therefore cheap!
    Quiet and would flow well enough and could be adapted??
  7. Schaefer190

Schaefer190 n00b

Oddometer:
    I haven’t thought about aftermarket or modifying yet as I was hoping someone had found a bolt-on option as I’d really like to keep it looking “stock”-ish vs a slip on.
    At least my head and middle pipes are solid, but good to know the TW could be used in a pinch.

Once all this virus stuff has calmed down there will be a trip to my Yammy dealer and bike wrecker to compare to a TW or to see which bikes muffler bolts onto the right side and could be cut and welded to my mid pipe.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
  8. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    2337AC8D-1AA1-442F-AA3F-671AE2F48E9C.jpeg
    yard race the other day. Working on the third one dyed a tank black, have black plastics and aluminum wheels. Would like to get some parts to the powder coating place but we are locked down.
    Bucho and Pezz_gs like this.
  9. terriblemog

terriblemog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the skf off of rockauto. Even though a different brand with same number showed up, it fit perfect! Thanks a lot and consider it confirmed!
    greasyfatman likes this.
  10. KDouble

KDouble AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer:
    Great! Glad it worked out!
  11. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the pic! I have just a little more drilling to do...I didn't recall it being that far down the tab. Thanks again!
  12. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that is going to be nice! mmm I smell billet...in the mix...yummy.
    what size rear tire are you running? I need to replace mine, looking em up is headache inducing...
  13. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    19x8x8 trail wolf in the rear
    20 6 10 razor x front

Think my rear rim is one inch bigger image.jpg
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  14. RazBarlow

RazBarlow n00b

Oddometer:
    During this “ Stay at home order, I am making the BW200 Air Intake Deflector .
    I am selling them for $25 shipped in the continental US .
    I am making them to order .
    I know it is an obsolete part that has either rotted off by now or removed previously and some people do not even know that they were originally installed from the factory .
    Shoot me a message if you would like one .
    Thank You

Attached Files:

15. BWlove

BWlove n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got one online at fattireconversions.com for 19.99 but think you could find one directly cheaper, I sent picks of the box. also partzilla has a ton of bw parts. I am also restoring a 1985 bw200

Attached Files:

16. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure the CDI is packing it in on my 85 200
    What are my options for aftermarket that folks have had any luck with

Also im burning a pretty good amount of oil. Compression is good so i am thinking probably a valve seal. Any aftermarket suggestions

Edit: i was going to put this off until next winter, but i guess if i am in there i might as well check the cylinder, piston, rings.
    I do have an entire motor that i bought that someone else took the liberty to disassemble, and not label anything so i might just refresh that head and cylinder then slap it on the bike

Any suggested top end gasket kits too
  17. terriblemog

terriblemog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got valve seals off of amazon or eBay. Working good so far.
  18. gumbellion

Oddometer:
    I tore apart the head on the motor i had in a bin. For sure it needs a new intake valve and valve guide.

Does anyone have a tip or trick for removing and installing the valve guides without the tools specified in the manual?
    I could heat the head and pound out the old ones with a drift since i will replace both guides and valves since i am in there. but hammers and punches probably arent a great idea for putting in the new ones.

I had to get creative and weld a couple bolts together to make a puller to remove the cam cam.jpg
  19. Bosshog8

Bosshog8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bake the head and freeze the guide. You should have no problem.
  20. gumbellion

Oddometer:
    i took a quick look online and cant even find the guides listed specifically for the BW
    I am guessing the guide is fine, but the valve is slightly mushroomed so need a valve and the manual says guide should be done at the same time. How bad of an idea is it for new valves with the old guides?

FTC has valves and seals for a good price even with canadian exchange, but no guides