THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. rodjr

rodjr n00b

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I have one just like yours in same condition. Wish I could find the rear rack like yours. The mirror is also something I could use, where did you find?
  2. Doink!

Doink! 54 ATV bikes since 2002

Oddometer:
    If you have the money, cycleracks (https://cycleracks.com/collections/yamaha-motorcycle-racks) makes reproduction front and rear racks. Fit is excellent and finish is very good. I had mine powder coated so it would last longer. And if you think the cost is prohibitive, price the cost of an OEM rear fender. One wheelie is all it takes.
    As far as the mirror, there are many universal fit items. Just make sure you know your handlebar size.
  3. rodjr

rodjr n00b

Oddometer:
    I remember the rear rack hanging in the Yamaha store $50 collecting dust. That was also when the BW200's $1500 new, my mom bought two BW200's that sat on floor of shop for 2 years, not much demand back in '87.
  4. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great score lilstinker! Looks like a well cared for and low, low hour bike. Two thumbs up!!!

I finally got the new tire installed on the bw80 wheel. Getting first side in tire was no problem, just jam it in, then leverage rest of way. The other side took a few tries. The piece of kindling sticking out in pic is what really helped, worked as an solid anchor point. Was using the brake hub previous two tries & it would pop off right when getting close to end. Seating the bead was tricky. Tried the strap method first, then I rolled the dice and did the light up the brake cleaner method which worked great seating one side and sealing up the air leaks. The hairs on top of my fingers got singed which is no big deal. Then inflating to 27psi popped the bead in fully on the other side. Next time I'll make sure I have a special tire cutting tool if I need to ever cut a tire off again...that was the hardest part by far. I am happy with the new duro tire, it does have a nice rounded profile.

IMG_0125_rsz.jpg
  5. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    Some essential goods arrived today...

Very happy with the red color vinyl for the seat project.
    IMG_0127_rsz.jpg

bw80 carb rebuild kit from freedomcycle, now I know the main nozzle isn't threaded and can start tapping it out of the old carb.
    IMG_0128_rsz.jpg

New duro K-102 front tire. Summer is the best time to change tires. Need the sun to heat 'em up good!
    IMG_0129_rsz.jpg

Action pics! I know y'all want 'em, stay tuned!!!
  6. KDouble

KDouble AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer:
    Got the whole gang out!

Attached Files:

7. jag299

jag299 n00b

Oddometer:
    these things are SOOOOOO awesome. I finally got a 87 bw200. I'd LOVE to make it street legal, but having big time problems finding DOT approved tires for it. anyone know how to get something for this?
  8. Doink!

Oddometer:
    Every BW200 I've owned with a title (17) are title-branded off-road use only. Though I guess with the correct running gear you might get away with it.
  9. jag299

jag299 n00b

Oddometer:
    correct. there's requirements that have to be met (brake light, horn..etc) but the thing I'm REALLY having a hard time finding is DOT approved tires. I've seen people selling street legal BW's, but I have no idea how they figured out what to do with the tire situation. with all you folks on here, figured this would be a great place to ask
  10. Doink!

Oddometer:
    Fattireconversions has 2 options for road tires. In fact, there are 2: the ITP Ultra GT ($55) and the KENDA Road Go ($138).
    Their ITP rear tire needs a 10"x8" wheel ($55) and a hub adapter ($95), both sold at FTC and mounting is free.
    So, if you go this route you're looking at $350 or so plus shipping. Those tires can be bought elsewhere in different sizes,so maybe you can use the stock wheels.
  11. jag299

jag299 n00b

Oddometer:
    weird... I actually called them and talked to them on the phone and they didn't suggest this... lemme check again
  12. Doink!

Oddometer:
    I found a lot of DOT approved options just by searching DOT ATV tires. The hard part is when the size you want is out of stock.
  13. lanesmatb

lanesmatb n00b

Oddometer:
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to the guy. Seems straight up and direct. If It had a title I wouldn’t pass it up. Surprised it has been for sale this long.
  15. Doink!

Oddometer:
    That price is below average for the 350. Last one I sold went for $4k with a bald rear tire.
    Of course, I still have the never-gassed, never-oiled dealer find... :D
    greasyfatman likes this.
  16. navinjohnson

navinjohnson n00b

Oddometer:
    This is a really long thread but I am enjoying it a lot.

I am looking for 1987 BW 350 upgrade lists. Been researching street legalizing mods with some luck but I am assuming/hoping all of the great upgrade/modification info has been consolidated somewhere here.

Questions I have:
    What is the difference between the 87 and 88 models?
    Will the Tusk XR600 harness work to make the 87 BW350?

Thanks for the help!
    NJ
  17. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    they don't sell well out here, very few real lunatics around these parts haha

Is she parked in the living room? :D
  18. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are you again?
  19. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    Riding There...
  20. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    For example, here's a nice one with a title. Been on sale for over a month. Bet they'll take 3,200 for it. Maybe 3,000 even:

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/d/sherwood-1987-yamaha-350-big-wheel/7165106644.html
    "1987 Yamaha 350 Electric Start Big Wheel, All Original, Great Condition.
    Resent oil and filter change and carb rebuilt.
    This bike goes anywhere dirt, sand and snow.
    Hard to find 350 with title in hand.
    $4000.00 "
    ---------

dealing with a leaky faucet today after waking up to a puddle in the kitchen, damn. But bw80 carb clean is going well. After three taps with a wooden dowel the (bw80) main nozzle popped out. Very happy to see that it is still good. It has markings on it, a 506 and D-8 so it is original. Here it is next to the Keyster nozzle. Comparing it with the Keyster nozzle, the Keyster nozzle looks like a suitable replacement if needed.
    IMG_0136.JPG

markings I found on the other (bw80) carb parts:
    Pilot jet - 20
    Main jet - 87.5 (manual says 82.5, interesting)
    Needle valve (screw) - 1.2