THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    04DDA0CE-05FE-4B49-850B-884BA3843D55.jpeg

Fully adjustable and I swapped in a 1000lb an inch spring. Got about two hour night ride on them a few weeks ago.
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    5F0A5FF2-BA2E-4209-9D77-856C84311B17.jpeg
    94780797-8623-46EE-961B-4C7CB5B1007B.jpeg

think the next lows trip I grab stuff to run a snorkel tube up behind the front mask.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  3. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you made it out of TimeLapseLand before too many years passed ;) Agreed, Outstanding job!!!
  4. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    and you leave us on the edge of our seats?! LOL, how was the ride did it handle the rough stuff good?

I didn't know these two air plugs with filter on the other side were custom until I saw one on ebay with these installed on both sides of the intake snorkel:
    IMG_9952_rsz.jpg
  5. Tonyje123

Tonyje123 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just joined and just bought an 87 bw200es have one concern, it has a 233cm³ cyl and head on it, what's going on? It also has a tw200 carb and modified airbox, any help would be greatly appreciated
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Night ride was great, out on the Hatfield McCoy trails. It’s when I determined I need a little more mud protection. The over size tire shovels stuff in the air box and roosts up your back.

every time I think I can get started on building the third one shit happens. Selling some bikes to simplify soon.
  7. GarlicGreg

GarlicGreg n00b

Oddometer:
    Went on a two hour trail ride yesterday. Dialed in rear shock dampening and tire pressures. What a difference! That coupled with front suspension rebuild, ruts, washboards, rocks and sandy hills were no problem. We did 2500' of elevation. Great torque and traction going uphill and excellent compression braking on the way down. Such a joy to ride these things. I'm stalled at the moment on the third one. Turns out it also needs a complete top end rebuild. I'm also in need of a serviceable gas tank as mine leaks. I was missing the airbox but fabbed up a pretty good solution. Pics coming soon.
    Nathan_66 and greasyfatman like this.
  8. GarlicGreg

GarlicGreg n00b

Oddometer:
    Just throwing this out there,,, Im thinking a BW350 would be a nice addition so if anyone has one that they would like to trade for one of my restored BW200s let me know. Or if anyone wants to have me restore one of your BWs in trade for a BW350 I'm open to that as well.
    Michael Burns and greasyfatman like this.
  9. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    3E73943F-0AF4-400C-891A-EC44A8356DDA.jpeg

the BVC big wheel. If I got the right deal on a plated 450x I would go down this road. Just so happens that the CRF is one of the bikes christini convers to all wheel drive too.
    Bucho and Nathan_66 like this.
  10. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! I thought the 3.5K price tag on the bcv kit is a bit much but together with a christini front drive it would be the bomb!
    Would require quite a bit of custom work - the triple clamps, hub, & gear rod aligment from top triple clamp to the main gearbox. Sounds like fun!
    christini_bottom-clamp.jpg

I wonder how beefy the tube gears really are...might be like installing a front wheel drive from a little car on a big truck...lots of extra mass to lug.
    christini_tube-gears.jpg

Thanks for mentioning this! I didn't know christini was making awd kits for other bikes. Good stuff!
  11. jag299

jag299 n00b

Oddometer:

I FINALLY got everything I needed for a MO street license! there was ONE DOT legal tire for the back! what a fiasco.
    as far as it riding "smooth" on the pavement, no... it does not lol
    but this was just something I've wanted forever and I live ~5 miles of backroads to work. should be a fun little scooter! and thx to all that helped me out with my questions!

I'll try (being a n00b and all) to upload a pic or two
    Bucho likes this.
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get video of people seeing you ride it to work.
  13. Lowrider49

Lowrider49 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any idea where to find a serviceable BW front end that would fit my TW 200? Perfectly happy with the TW but it would be really cool to have the same tire on the TW front as the ATV tire I have on the rear. Been looking at a Trailmaster MT200 mini bike...cheap and they appear to be very capable off road. Besides, who else would have a plated TW/BW 200?
  14. Bigbeardedbastard

Bigbeardedbastard n00b

Oddometer:
    So I have been steadily working on my BW350 over the past month. Rebuilt the swing arm and jack shaft using DMO parts, replaced chains and sprockets. Installed atc350x front forks after having the BW triple trees bored out to accept the 35mm tubes and installed the front hub and disc brake for the 350x And a new red label front wheel and new mud lite tires front and rear.
    It still needs a some tweaking and tuning. Rear brake needs adjusting and it feels as though the clutch slips in higher rpms. But here it is as of this morning 08750565-D64B-4160-AF11-4D999224D350.jpeg CCAC582F-985A-45B3-B291-0BBCDF467935.jpeg DCD27054-4998-459A-A9E2-8C8C3ECD6F66.jpeg
    Bucho, greasyfatman and Nathan_66 like this.
  15. Nathan_66

Oddometer:
    Looks great!!! Good job on the front too! Do you like how the rear shock mod is working out? switching gears here to get my 350 ready for winter, been thinking about trying out a tri-z rear shock. Only got 4" of slushy snow here last winter, expecting more this year, I wanna do some AK style snow hopping!! haha
  16. Bigbeardedbastard

Bigbeardedbastard n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I like both the front forks and the new rear shock. It did raise the bike about 2” but both feel much nicer so far. The rear seems to work much better and is very smooth throughout the range of motion. I picked it up from eBay for 26 bucks with the remote reservoir. I’d say money well spent! The front forks are nice too and I like the disc brake as well. The tri-z forks were nowhere to be found near me and the ones I did find were way too expensive. Plus I never liked the look of the following axle. So I paid to have my stock bw trees bored out to 35mm keeping the same angle as stock but I get a little over 2.5” more travel now and a beefier tube
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  17. jag299

jag299 n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

Nathan_66, greasyfatman and Bucho like this.
  18. Michael Burns

Michael Burns n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey All,
    I'm looking for a fuel tank for an 85 BW 200. Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    MB
  19. KDouble

KDouble AKA BeefCurtain

Oddometer:
    Here's one, On eBay

Attached Files:

20. jag299

jag299 n00b

Oddometer:
    ok.... so got a problem and I'm sure you guys will know the dealio. been riding this for a few months now, but the other day about halfway to work it started cutting out about halfway thru the band of whatever gear I was in and started backfiring. so dumped the tank and put fresh gas in, and replaced the plug (altho it didn't seem too horrible). started right up, and ran great.. for 3 mins. then started the backfiring/stalling again. thoughts/suggestions?