THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can start one here or in Some assembly required. I get to NC a few times a year hope to see your build, dig me some two strokes.
    https://advrider.com/f/forums/some-assembly-required.83/
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. 1enick72

1enick72 n00b

Oddometer:
    BW 225 project started. My vision is to match my YZ with new Yamaha colors and graphics. Plastics will be blue with white and black graphics. TTR 225 engine 6 speed. Hope to be finished by the end of winter. Has anyone upgraded the rear shocks on a 200? I'm only 150 lbs and could use a little softer ride without letting too much air out of the tires.

Attached Files:

RebelYell, Bucho and terriblemog like this.
  4. bikerbill2021

bikerbill2021 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well that was fast, got me a BW80 coming to me from a friend back east, he actually was able to find two of them, but they are ROUGH to say the least lol. However I have been spending a ton of time researching them and will get mine back to former glory with some neat little hop ups. My buddy will build his back east so kind of having a fun little build off, albeit a slow one lol

Attached Files:

5. sixpepper

sixpepper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey 1enick72, I also did a 225ttr in a BW frame, wondering what kind of boot you used to connect the air box to the carb. any pics of the area?
    dkom95 likes this.
  6. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that sold out of GA? I think I looked at them.
    I am down for some BW80 solo cup racing? Keep us up to date on your build. I have just put another one together.
  7. terriblemog

terriblemog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! I saw your post on one of the facepage bigwheel groups!
  8. bikerbill2021

bikerbill2021 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    lol yup, my buddy in NC was looking for one for me and found those, like i said they are rough, total resto, really not much to them left, but the important bits like the extended out put shaft, swingarm, front end, side cover etc are all there
  9. Quick10

Quick10 n00b

Oddometer:
  10. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:
    I'm using a piece of straight EPDM radiator hose with 1-3/4" ID. It fit nicely onto the Blaster carb inlet. Hole sawed a new hole in the BW airbox lower than the original so the hose had a straight shot from the airbox to the carb. Took the piece of plastic I cut out, trimmed it to size, and used it to patch the original hole with the help of some JB weld plastic epoxy.
  11. bikerbill2021

bikerbill2021 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my BW! Total POS, but it'll be a good little project to tinker on. Got too many irons in the fire at the moment so trying to get these other bikes/machines done, but not totally deplete my project cache, this will give me something to play with after dinner for during the week nights

Kind of weird how it showed up, my buddy put everything in a big heavy duty bin, and it showed up with everything in that box and the frame just on its own. Nothing damaged or lost, just odd, maybe the crate broke and UPS re-boxed it? Idk, but I'm happy that whoever at UPS did repack took the time to do it right, have had bad experiences with them in the past fucking up packages, as I'm sure most of us have

Attached Files:

12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Box O Bee Dubs nice.
  13. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:

She lives. Hooked the wiring up and had no trouble getting spark. We were off to the races from there.

Completed:
    -Cut and reset the downtube. Welded up some front brackets. Build to ride, not to win pageants.
    -Installed 12mm ID / 16mm OD bushings at the rear engine mount / swingarm bolt. They went in without issue.
    -Made a spacer to fill the 8mm empty space remaining on the rear mount bolt. Pushing the engine all the way right aligns the output shaft sprocket with the inner jackshaft sprocket.

Trouble spots remaining:
    -Switched primary chain and sprockets from #50 to 530. Swingarm adjustment is worthless, and mine is seized anyway. Need to find the right sprocket combo for chain tension. Can make tooth count adjustments at the final drive.
    -Carb needle valve refuses to stop pissing fuel despite cleaning, checking, and calibrating following protocols on Blaster forums. Ordered a new one for install.
    -Exhaust is going to scorch my leg unless I wrap it up
  14. terriblemog

terriblemog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50 and 530 are pretty much the same, 530 higher quality or more refined I guess. If you have new chain and sprockets, tension should be fine. Not looking for guitar string tight.
    dkom95 likes this.
  15. dkom95

dkom95 KLRk Kent

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. Problem is it's either too tight to connect, or so loose it's dragging on the frame. I hear the issue is fairly common.

Has anyone heard of a Honda ATC tank fitting a BW200? Something like this <--
    I believe I saw someone on a BW fbook page claiming a stock ATC tank of this era fits right up.
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. onnalee

onnalee n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there all. We are in process of rebuilding our 4th BW200 and have run across a snag. We are looking for a Voltage regulator for the electric start model part #1RL-81960-90-00. Does anyone know where we can find one? Thanks.
  18. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Sooooooo, I just rebuilt my son's PW80 and I just might could be picking up a BW80 project soon.
    Two main issues: are there any replacement plastics available? Are there any tires (doesn't have to be stock) available?
  19. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes to both plastics and tires are out there. White and black plastic are available. Off the top of my head things that are a problem. Seat pan, gas tank, air boot, any of the chain guard, left side cover.
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not far from western NC if you decide to pass on it give me a heads up. A dirt nasty one popped up here I may grab for parts.
    dbarale likes this.