THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. stephanektm

stephanektm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my rear shocks are shot, who makes replacements? Yamaha? Or aftermarket?

Attached Files:

2. Doink!

Doink! 54 ATV bikes since 2002

Oddometer:
    My fat tire conversion love affair has ended. I have a DR350/BW200/Honda ATC for sale. This was built by motocrossmatthew (youtube channel). It needs throttle work and other odds and ends, but it starts, runs and rides. I'm taking offers and it's located in Laurens SC.
  3. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got pictures or a link or something?
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Doink!

Doink! 54 ATV bikes since 2002

Oddometer:
    $4,500 is to keep out the casual riders. For those on here, I think $3,500 is fair (OBO, of course).
  6. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a complete motor that came with my most recent BW200 that is in a crate. Apparently it smoked bad so the guy took it apart then ended up getting a replacement off ebay.

Anyone interested in some parts? I will check over everything before selling to ensure its serviceable. I have not even looked at it other than to see that there was no rhyme or reason as to how he did anything as far as labeling or bagging parts.
  7. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    Still have 2 sets of these swingarm extensions left. New lasercut for the 200 to drive a 25inch rear tire.
    15$ for a set + shipping.
    Send me a Pm if interested.

20210511_181456.jpg
    20171012_174250.jpg
  8. rodjr

rodjr n00b

Oddometer:
    How are those tires on smooth pavement? Do they have bumpy ride?
  9. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    If you mean the ITPs, these tires are great. Not bumpy at all!
  10. rodjr

rodjr n00b

Oddometer:
    We ride in the desert with lots of sand and rocks, does anyone make a current tire that resembles the original tread pattern and size?
  11. Laner

Laner n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Rohrich, I was wondering if you could (if you remember) tell me the details of what you used to make the speedometer work? Something from a TW200? Or a DT125 or something??
    I’ve been trying to figure out what kind of speedo drive is compatible with the 350’s brake plate….it has the plug there, so obviously some other bike had use of that….

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  12. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    Good question..
    When I remember it right, we took a complete brake hub plate from an XT250. It is completely the same as the 350, but already has the speedo drive in it. You could buy the speedo drive parts and put it in the 350 brake hub plate, but then you have to adapt some things to the plate. A complete plate from an XT250 is cheaper I think..

20200830_112054.jpg
    The Tachometer looks a bit like the ones for the FatCat. I don't like these digital meters on these old bikes, thats why I put this one on it. ( don't know the modell anymore... )
    20200830_154448(1).jpg
    Here is the BW on my 400km trip last summer
    Nathan_66 and Pezz_gs like this.
  13. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    It schould be from an XT250 1989 Modell. The one without the disc brakes.
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  14. Laner

Laner n00b

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Thank You!
    Looking on eBay, I’d say you’re right…get the whole XT250 brake plate..

Now, if only there was a way to have an analog speedo, and the Yamaha Tri-z disc conversion at the same time….
  15. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    This is possible I think, but then you have to find some kind of speedo drive that fits on the right side of the wheel on to the hub. I have build a few for a FatCat and an 125M ATC. Its not that kind of difficult.
  16. Laner

Laner n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, yeah I’ve been doing some detective work on that front….there is definitely room I would think, on the right side, where that wide spacer would be….and, as far as I can tell, the Tri-Z uses a 15mm axle…so a speedo drive would have to be that size I guess..looks like a TT600 one would maybe be suitable.

I wonder how critical the orientation is, for the fork… i.e. the disc on the left side, axle leading the fork vs. disc on the right side, axle trailing the fork. Obviously it would affect the rake/trail somewhat, but I wonder by how much. An experiment I suppose…
    If that worked, it would be very easy to find a speedo drive for the left side. A TW200 would work I believe (15mm axle)

….But on to a far more serious question, have you found any sources for a starter motor? My project here has the body of the starter, but no armature…
    I ordered a cheap starter from a Warrior/Big Bear, hoping the armature would at least work - and it even has basically the same Yamaha part number - 81800-50-00…..But, it is definitely not suitable. The center part of the “body” (with the magnets) looks to be correct, but the “nose” and “tail” of it are definitely different. I knew that. And, unfortunately, the armature isn’t a match - the shaft with the splines doesn’t stick out near far enough.
    I’ve also looked into a starter for an SR250, but the armature is different in that too… it uses a sprocket and chain?!? By the looks of it to turn the motor over. I think the 3 pieces of the “body” are correct though…

So, any other ideas for a starter for a 350? eBay doesn’t have any, I don’t see any on any Yamaha parts websites, Stockers.com doesn’t seem to have any. I think I’ve hit a bit of a roadblock here…
  17. Laner

Laner n00b

Oddometer:
    Out of curiosity, which model is it for? Electric Start or Non? What kind of price are you looking for, and what would you estimate shipping would be, to Pembina, North Dakota? 58271 That is, if you’re willing to ship..

Thanks!

Lane
  18. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Non electric. shipping the whole thing would probably be very steep.
    As for price I would rather sell as parts as needed to keep other BWs going even though it would be more of a pain for me.
  19. terriblemog

terriblemog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    right side case cover? I may need more, but that's fist thing I know.
  20. Yoshi_>

Yoshi_> Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clutch cover can also be adapted from TW200 If necessary.
    terriblemog likes this.