THE BIGWHEEL THREAD!!! Yamaha BW350, BW200

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Mr. BigWheel, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Bosshog8

Bosshog8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see there hasn't been much activity here but I figured I would start here with the enthusiasts. I'm getting rid of 2 1987 BW350's. They are both in similar, very nice, condition. The main differences: gold wheels, bark busters, no title and silver wheels, no bark busters, state issued title. I'm located in southern NJ and looking for $5200 for gold wheels and $5700 for silver wheels. The pics are all the gold wheels as I have not detailed the silver wheel one yet. I have plenty of pics to show how clean it is.
    Yamaha BW350-1.jpg Yamaha BW350-2.jpg Yamaha BW350-13.jpg Yamaha BW350-18.jpg

Attached Files:

2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I would be interested to see what you get for them on bring a trailer.
  3. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, I'd seriously consider one if they could be made street legal in NC.

Charles.
  4. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Tasty

Nathan_66 likes this.
  5. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nathan_66 and Pezz_gs like this.
  6. vortex ring state

vortex ring state Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I just bought a BW200 and it's currently being shipped. I got a good deal on it because it dropped a valve and needs a new top end. Would it be simpler to swap in a XT225 engine or is that a lot of work. Every time I search it just takes me to this thread.
  7. 175grams

175grams Old Town Outfitters, Antigua, Guatemala

Oddometer:
    Recently cleaned up my BW200, painted the plastics and made a faux-leather cover for the gas tank. Looking pretty nice if I say so myself!

Wondering if people would be interested in these tank covers. It zips on, tight fit and I can screen print whatever logo. It was the only reasonable solution I found to clean up my old faded yellow tank. If I can get a few orders, pricing would be ~$50 + shipping. I'm making a list of people interested, already have 3-4 committed. If you want on the list, shoot me a PM with your details (email, color, logo).

BW200-14.jpeg
    bigwheeled and UncleRandy like this.
  8. BigWheel'n

BigWheel'n SEND IT

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Rohrich for the swingarm extensions. They gave the 25x12 Mudlite some breathing room on my BW200.
    20210922_132922.jpg
    Before
    20210922_140726.jpg 20210922_142121.jpg 20210923_091101.jpg 20210925_115841.jpg 20210925_115749.jpg
    Nathan_66 and Bosshog8 like this.
  9. vortex ring state

Oddometer:
    Those are cool? Where did you get them? Was it hard to line everything up so it runs true?
  10. BigWheel'n

BigWheel'n SEND IT

Oddometer:
    One of the forum members had them for sale on here in an older post.
    It was a fairly easy process. I measured a lot beforing cutting the old ones off, then used welding magnets to hold it true before tacking them.
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  11. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  12. Nathan_66

Nathan_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic, great job!!!
  13. vortex ring state

Oddometer:
    Ever plan on making more?
  14. Röhrich

Röhrich big wheel freak

Oddometer:
    No, I don't think so. Finished my 200 years ago, and had a few extensions left and lying here for years..
    I'm happy there gone, and used somewhere else on a BW..
  15. vortex ring state

Oddometer:
    Good news: after putting the entire bike in a press and using 15 metric tons (I checked the gauge) of force the swing arm bolt came out. Bad news: The adjuster thingies are toast. Eccentrics and plastic bushing look good though. Looks like I will have to shell out a few hundred for the DMO adjuster kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also good news all the parts inside the intermediate shaft look useable. Only part that needs to be replaced is the outer seal which seems to be readily available. I remember seeing some people replacing the bearings with sealed bearings, is that a thing?
    [​IMG]
  16. Bosshog8

Bosshog8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you use sealed bearings then no grease will ever get to them. If you're thinking the grease that's in a sealed bearing is sufficient, it's not. You can use sealed bearings if you at a minimum remove the inner seals to allow grease penetration.
  17. vortex ring state

Oddometer:
    I guess I will just save my money and keep the stock bearings.
  18. vortex ring state

Oddometer:
    Well even though this thread is a little dead I will post anyways. I would post on the facebook group but it's a public group and I don't post on those.

I needed a new primary chain slide and none are available so I thought I would take inspiration from my home made TW200 skid plate and make one out of a cheap cutting board.

Prior damage welded up already.
    [​IMG]

What I'm starting with.
    [​IMG]

Template I made.
    [​IMG]

After some cutting, scoring, heating, and bending here is the final product.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total cost was about $5 for the cutting board and I have plenty of board left to make other stuff. If this works out I will consider making one out of UHMW plastic.

Also, does anyone know which bike these CDIs belong to? One was mounted on my 85 and the other one was in the parts bin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nathan_66 likes this.
  19. Bosshog8

Bosshog8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They appear to be electric start cdi’s
    I also make my own chain sliders and guards but I use black because white seems ridiculous as it’s always dirty

Attached Files:

20. vortex ring state

Oddometer:
    Cool, that looks better than mine. What material did you use? Greasy dirty tools squeezing semi molten white plastic did me no favours in the aesthetic department.

Any way to test an CDI? The engine on mine had a dropped valve when I bought it. Instead of rebuilding it I just decided to get an TTR 230 put into it. I think I am going to part out the engine, and CDI, so others can keep their 200s running.