The bike I want doesn't exist

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    First world problem, here but not another "Which bike should buy" thread.

I had a CBR1100XX for 10 years and ever since I haven't been able to stay happy with anything for more than a year. There always seems to be something that drives me crazy, too much engine heat, too much vibration, too much turbulence, to small, too big, bla bla bla poor me.

I'm wasting time, it's been 5 years now and I'm hooked on the buzz you get from buying/selling and shopping. I need a mental approach that is going to let me settle down with a good bike and accept it's flaws.
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    While I'm really good at drooling over new bikes, latest offerings, different genres, I've gotten pretty good at spinning my mind around to the fact that 1st, it's a mode of transportation, and 2nd, hopefully the chosen bike ticks off better than 2/3s of the boxes. Ultimately riding is about the experience, the places I get to go and see... Having a connection to my bike certainly makes this more enjoyable, but it's still just a vehicle....a means.

I'm grateful for adventure bikes which I have fully embraced....the performance, comfort, reliability, and the go anywhere design. I feel lucky to have a bike I love that takes me to these places I want to go. In doing this I do have to accept the compromises.....i want to pretty much go everywhere. So while I pine for a road king, it's not the proper bike for me at this time.
    klaviator and neanderthal like this.
  3. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never found a bike I'm completely happy with. My first bike was a Harley Sportster, and I liked it! Did a ton of stupid mods but never grew to love it. Then a Ducati Streetfighter. Stupid fun, very little you could do in the way of mods. Made it more comfortable for longer rides, then ended up selling. Now I have my Scrambler. Modded the hell out of it. Really enjoying it for what it is, but always day dreaming about finding that one bike. One day it's a sports tourer, the next it's a big adventure bike, the next a power cruiser. I'm constantly doing the math in my head. "Okay, I still owe this much on the Scrambler, so if I traded it in..."
    TxTrvlr, BobcatSig and Bucho like this.
  4. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean "first world problem" a third world problem is trying to find clean drinking water or having to hunt for your next meal. :rofl
  5. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, fixed. Surprised I didn't get banned for CS&M content . :lol3
  6. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you actually need two bikes...
    JaySwear, motorhead748, ACR and 3 others like this.
  7. tankshooter

tankshooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the solution. But a low mile CBR and keep one extra bike in the stable to swap as your whims strike.

I can't decide whether I want a metric power cruiser or a sporty with a ludicrous motor build on any given day, but used examples minus the motor are out there every day. Used bikes, as many as you can fit or afford are the answer.
    neanderthal and Grestil like this.
  8. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    What about finding better geography to go riding in?

I haven’t looked up where you live, but the whole deal, it seems to me anyway, is to have fun in the rides regardless of the machines.

Easy enough for me to say, I guess - for the last 40+ years I’ve always had a choice of at least 5 machines in my shed to go riding how, where and when I feel like. (Hint: 37 is too many, however.)

One constant theme on this forum is that there is no one machine that does it all perfectly.
    klaviator and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Argh, I’m in “do I buy another bike?” decision mode right now. My vstrom isn’t doing it for me anymore. I’d really like to test ride a bmw s1000rx and a Ducati multistrada, I’ve never ridden a really high quality bike.
  10. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    One of the best ways for me is if it's not my only bike. The flaws may not really matter if you're not asking it to satisfy you all the time.

Another thing along that line that might be good is riding an antique for awhile. You can enjoy the visceral experience of the old bike for a bit, then be happy to get back on a smoother, emissions-clean newer bike in your stable.

Or you could find another CBR1100XX.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Some good advice above.

Just to add one more. Have you considered something totally different? Maybe a cheap dualsport, dirtbike, or even dare I suggest a trials bike?

Or whether you go street or dirt the new generation of electrics are pretty amazing.
    DHAM and The_Precious_Juice like this.
  12. ddavidv

ddavidv Dark web dangerous

Oddometer:
    Best answer: multiple used bikes. I own three for the price of a new BMW.
  13. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    or 3...

Rick G
    DeepBarney and Malamute like this.
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me there is no more fun than going out and buying a new motorcycle. Raising two boys and having a spouse that liked my motorcycles means that I have bought a lot of them over the years. Every one was a treat too, even if it was for others in my family. But the ones I buy for myself, I keep a long time. My latest purchase is a 2016 Honda Africa Twin. It is probably the finest machine I've owned. I've been coast/coast with it a couple times. I think I'm going to replace with a smaller and lighter machine for touring. Something I can pick up if I drop it. My needs are changing now that I am nearing the end of my motorcycling.
  15. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I have two primary bikes: an FJ-09 and a CRF450L. I've got all the types of riding that I do covered with those two.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  16. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here, two bikes, FJR and Versys-X 300.
    Tried to do it all with NC700x but not powerful enough sometimes and too heavy the rest of the time.
    Would like everything in a FJR but just 2/3 the weight (~450lbs) and power (80-100hp) but to keep everything else especially shaft drive. That bike is just not made yet.
  17. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love a 2/3 FJR. I wandered into the FJR thread with my desire for this unicorn and got chased out.
  18. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    "Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." Shakespeare
    " The best is the enemy of the good." Voltaire
    " Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without." Confucius

There is not a perfect anything: woman, man, car, house, job, career, hobby, motorcycle... and if there was, the moment I got involved, the perfection would be ruined.

My perspective is skewed by the fact that I didn't have a motorcycle for a few years after I sold my SV1000, which was a great bike. I loved it, had it sorted perfectly for me. But I got enamored with the idea of an adv bike or something like a ZRX1200 or a big supermoto: which should have told me something. Those are wildly different machines that all have limitations as great or greater than a modern sporty standard like the SV. Then I had an injury from another "extreme" sport. After I got back on my feet, it seemed like a prudent choice to get off motorcycles for a season. My wife and family appreciated the gesture.

Fast forward, we are in a different place and I started working on a plan to get a new bike.

I cannot own more than one motorcycle. My resources are wrapped up in lots of priorities that rise higher than a stable of motorcycles or a full on motorcycling, traveling every weekend lifestyle. Wife and young kids... they really are more important. So when, by a fluke, I had a windfall of cash and an agreeable spouse, I started looking.

I had a list of bikes that I could afford. A used SV was on that list. I wound up getting a gen 1 FZ1 with low miles. Which is a sporty, modern standard.

Is it "perfect?" Nope. Does it tick enough of the boxes I need/want? Yep. Do I ride it as much as I can and think about it all the time? Yeah. I love it for what it is. It is my one motorcycle and it's a pretty good one.

Someday I will probably get a new ride, maybe more than one. I have a few ideas in mind.

Right now I have a good machine that I like and I ride it as much as I can and that makes me happy.
  19. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    I'm just posting my signature as it seems relevant here.
    tankshooter likes this.
  20. BigBaltic

BigBaltic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both of those are more upright sports bikes than an ADV bike, if you want to be more adv capable it's probably better to check out the F800GS. THat being said...I sorta want a S1000RX
    Little Bike likes this.