The bike I want doesn't exist

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that rx is tempting isn't it?
  2. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's supposed be S1000XR.
  3. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you need an H2 SX SE+ to scratch the blackbird itch
    bigdog99 and Drop_Center like this.
  4. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Dear OP,

You are fine. I would love to have your problem.

Ride safe.
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    As said in "Jerry Maguire", one needs to find their "Quan", IMO.

The bike seems to become less important when I focus on the ride, the adventure, the exploration. I'd find an ADV bike that excited you well enough, throw some versatile tires on it and look for adventure. For me, something like a DR790 with Cogent suspension and long-wearing pavement-friendly knobs would set me up to explore just about anywhere. Several large thumper dualsports or small adv bikes would work about as well for my purposes, from a 950SE down to an XT225.
    Drop_Center likes this.
  6. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    This right here, I picked the one that excels in the areas that make me want to go ride, and I'll modify it best I can to minimize the compromises.

Then stop obsessing about what I'm on and just ride. Sick of wasting time.
    Amphib likes this.
  7. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Two sets of wheels can really help a bike feel like TWO bikes.
    DR790 w/ motard wheels for road riding and light dualsporting.
    DR790 w/ knobbies for offroad and dirt heavy dualsporting.
    boomsling and Project84 like this.
  8. Blether

Blether n000b

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much of an ADV bike a Blackbird is, but anyway... bikes are cheap. It's easy to own lots of them. Me? Where I live space is at a premium. It's not the cost of the bike, but where you're going to keep it.

Right now I've two bikes. A CBR750 and an XLR250. One on-road, one off. I'm in my fifties and I've been riding since I was 16 (well, 14 if you count the illicit joyrides). Before I was 20 I'd toured the European alps on a 250. I've been all over the country on the CBR (they're good, aren't they, those CBR's?), and over ten years or more I did monthly off-road weekends that saw 100-150km's of dirt riding. I've not done much track work, but I've ridden both my CBR and someone else's Hayabusa round a race circuit.

These days I still really enjoy the dirt riding. On road, I tend to go out for day rides when the weather's good. A dozen years ago I swapped bikes on an off-road weekend, with a guy who had a 650 Dakar. I don't know if I'd have liked the weight long-term, but on the way home I found myself scraping the pegs through curves, surprised at how good it was on-road. Later that summer I borrowed it from him and took a weekend in the mountains with my gorgeous girlfriend. On the Sunday night we were late getting onto the road home, and it turned into a bit of a mad dash along fast curves down the riverside for a couple of hours back to the city. Again I was surprised how good that bike was on the tarmac.

I still love my XLR - I guess I'd find an extra 50kgs a struggle on some offroad days - and the CBR's great, but for a long time I thought that if I had to settle on one bike, the BMW 650 Dakar (now Sertao) would be it. Latterly, I've wondered about a BMW 800ST or the like, I guess in part because I'm not in my twenties any more and I think being comfortable (I'm a six-foot caucasian) on a bike is worth more than 10HP here or there.

"The bike I want doesn't exist" caught my eye. I was thinking just this last couple of weeks (while taking melamine sponge to the bodywork of my XLR), with the ultra-short maintenance intervals on dirt bikes like KTM's and even the CRF450 these days, that I'd be hard-pressed to replace the old croc. I change the oil sometimes, and just did a first brake hose swap at 25 years and 50,000kms.

So what is the bike that you want?
  9. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike I'd like to have that doesn't exist is a street bike with the 650 Rotax single as in your Dakar. I have a 2005 F650gs with the same glorious 650 single. Yamaha's mt-03 660cc would work but it's not available in the Us.
    UY025L9_a.jpg
    Johann likes this.
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    "Old World", "New World", "Third World" were the original designations. I guess "First World" now means Old+New, there is no "Second World" - Hahahah
  11. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    Being skint and having very low expectations helps. Any bikes requiring expensive rubber every 4k miles immediately ruled out. Any bike that can´t be serviced in the street ruled out. Anything getting less than 50mpg is a complete non starter, if it can do 60mpg or more it immediately moves to the front of the potentials list. Walking everywwhere or sharing public transport with old people that smell of wee is another way to make your existing bike more attractive. Having Scottish family history that makes it physically painful to spend money also helps. YMMV.
    tankshooter, AwDang, Rockred and 3 others like this.
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    A company I rented from once told me that their 650 Vstroms had a far lower operating cost-per-mile than any other bikes in their fleet, including various smaller singles and larger touring bikes. The Wee also gets pretty good fuel mileage - might be what you're looking for?
  13. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    F650CS

Or 650 X-whatever.
  15. mitchxout

Oddometer:
    Not interested in those....haha!
  16. bearcat1

bearcat1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh Grasshopper, it's the curse of prosperity. We need to be thankful for what we have. I'm now in my mid 50's and have lost count of how many dirt & street bikes I've had the privledge to own. Most were purchased used, ridden for a few years then sold for the next one. The fun of the research, hunt, and finding a bike is part of the hobby. I just have to keep things in perspective when portions of the world are riding 50cc machines as the main mode of transportation for the family. The perfect machine does not exist, perhaps build your dream machine out of something close, even then it will not satisfy for long. Priorities change as we enter different seasons in life. Enjoy 2 wheels while we can still ride.
  17. mitchxout

Oddometer:
    74167764-A77F-4077-A072-BAEBBC0AEF46.jpeg Here’s another bike that only exists in Bizarro World
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Nothing's wrong with it. Definitely better than heroin or meth.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    "Second World" used to be USSR, now it's no more. I guess it's now China...
    wopa12 likes this.
  20. Owen Snell

Owen Snell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not being able to find the perfect bike is why farkles exist. Higher / lower seats, lower pegs, different screen, adjustable shift / brake levers, bar risers, aftermarket bars, upgraded suspension .........
    Drop_Center likes this.