The bike I want doesn't exist

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    The internet is a huge part of the problem for me. Say I'm riding along, and suddenly decide there's something this bike does or doesn't do... then in an instant, this rush comes over me at the very idea of even looking at the specs on a different bike. Starts with pictures oooh aaaah, then the fuel capacity, then the drive-train, then check for one on craigslist and on and on and on. Ours brains thrive on this kind shit, and I don't want to feed it anymore it's taking everything I love about riding away from me.
    TxTrvlr, Buzzbomber and DesertPilot like this.
  2. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Nice combo!
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I want a Suzuki DL 750 ABS V-strom. 95 HP, Ohlins USD front, rear shock. 400 ish lbs.

Probably year 2041, the year I kick the bucket. :doh
    RowBust and mitchxout like this.
  4. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling. I love my Bonnie. It does 100%of what I need to do, and 85% of what I want to do.
    But that 15% would require something with serious 2-up long distance capability Something like a Rocket III Touring.
    Then I would have have a bike that did 85% of what I need to do and 25% of what I want to do. Or something like that.
    So I would need both. Then I would need to to build an addition on the garage or a separate storage building to make room for both bikes.
    Or a Ural. Maybe all 3...
  5. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Husky made some 650 street bikes with the Rotax too.
    mitchxout likes this.
  6. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also Aprilia Pegaso but not what I'm after.
  7. Blether

Blether n000b

Oddometer:
    The MT-03 is a 320cc twin? D'you mean the MT-07/FZ-07 (690cc)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MT-07
  8. PARDAL1970

PARDAL1970 Going somewhere...

Oddometer:
    That’s almost exactly what I did. I have an old (pristine) 2001 Yamaha XT600e, bought a low miles used Supertenere (1 year ago) and now I bought a brand new MT07. That’s a trial (overland modes) bike, a big adventure bike I take on long rides and a small nimble hooligan bike to enjoy in weekend rides and going in to town. All that for the price of a BMW Gs (a bit less if you consider a GSA). I also have the “bug” and I’ve changed rides, sometimes after only 3 months in my possession, which is mad. So I “stabilized “ and now have a choice of rides. II’ve owned literally hundreds of bikes over the last 35 years (all kind) and I can honestly say this is the best solution for a “compulsive” biker...
    AwDang likes this.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Yamaha does make a quite nice 660cc water-cooled single that appears in quite a few (non US) street and dualsport models, including the (now discontinued) XT660Z Ténéré, original MT-03 and Aprilia Pegaso. The current MT-03 bears only a passing resemblance and has a 320cc twin cylinder engine.
    Alexander B and mitchxout like this.
  10. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do your bikes have names? Maybe some are more sensitive to a bike's personality and think of them more as friends than possessions.

Valentino Rossi, who is having a long, bad time with his Yamaha --and can't change bikes right now -- talks to his motorcycle before each race. He said recently that sometimes a bike is like your mom who loves you and just wants you to be happy and sometimes it's like a girlfriend and things are more complicated.

In a relationship, when things aren't going well, maybe we can be part of the solution.
  11. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike I want is one with a beautiful Korean woman on it. Until last year I thought that no such thing could possibly exist. Then my wife started riding :D
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Cute! Does she read your posts?
  13. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still alive, so the answer must be no :D
  14. motorhead748

motorhead748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in the same boat a few years back. I'd put 250K on first gen Connie's, a great bike but nothing special. Then tried a new strom 1K in '12, another great bike but nothing special. In the fall of '14 I traded for a new multistrada gt. A awesome bike for sure. On the ride home I knew I'd have another strom. When a buddy was selling his well farkled '08 strom 1K I bought it and couldn't be happier. I still have the multi but the strom sees. 5X the mileage
    Little Bike likes this.
  15. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I can help ;)

however:

- PERFECT doesn't exist in my opinion... it really doesn't... spend enough time with anything and you'll find faults or annoyances... with ANYTHING.

- I personally don't care about "new" ... I need something that gets the job done (preferably in style ;) ) over and over again and doesn't disappoint me daily.

- Identify what bothers you the most about the bike you have / had... sort of make a mental note on what you truly want to avoid with your next bike.

- Same goes for what you really liked.

I'm in the process of finding a new bike myself, I can relate to you thust to some extend (my last bike got killed by a car couple of weeks ago).
    My last bike wasn't perfect... it was good though... I was pretty happy with it and wouldn't have replaced it right now.
    it was a R1150GSA

In short what I did really not like about it mostly:
    - weight and size... it's a beast. sometimes navigating it through dense traffic somewehre remote, or off-roading it...it's too heavy, it's too fat.
    - the original suspension (rear mostly) .. it's ok but could be a ton better.
    other than that, there's not much I can really fault with the bike...
    - standard seat was crap, and the better one from bmw far to tall.... (seat hight wasn't adjustable)

What I truly liked
    - reach (the mileage is amazing)
    - it's damn sturdy & reliable
    - rather low maintenance issues over the years....
    - comfort (overall ergonomics are great, long long long miles without much problems)
    - power.... not massive but not a slouch either... comfortable touring in the 60-90mph range on the highway...
    - all terrain capable (ok fuck sand, here, I've said it... sand sucks on heavy bikes).
    - broad range of farkles to modify it to my needs

So with that I think it's "easy" to nail down a list of potential bikes that don't have the "bad" aspects - and feature most of the "great" aspects from above...
    and then it's about test riding and finding which (used - I never buy new ;) ) bike is available and doesn't kill the piggy bank completely.

And just accept the fact, the whatever "new" bike you buy, you will find annoyances and other issues... and you'll sometimes wish for your old bike back ;)
    And remember, that lots of shit can be worked out by farkling the hell out of the thing !
    Drop_Center likes this.
  16. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do you prefer about the strom over the multistrada?
  17. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    I'm right in this boat. For me, it is more (I think) about being a tight-wad.

I want a Multistrada 1200 that never needs serviced, and maybe it would be cool if it somehow sounds like a Tuono V4. Or maybe I want a Tuono V4 on a Multistrada chassis but it needs to make 45-50mpg. Or all the performance and style of the S1000XR at DL650 money. An R1200RS but with 160hp at 12,000rpm instead of 120hp at 7,700rpm.

:fitz
  18. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Dad likens my problem to people that go out on a lot of internet first dates and never talk to the person again. Except these dates cost me thousands.
    EastRoad likes this.
  19. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. I'm on the market for a third bike. I have an ADV bike and a plated 250 dirt bike. So right now I want a sport touring bike. I'm trying to decide between an R1200R or a Super Duke GT. Or an R1200RS, or Tracer GT. Or the last gen VFR800. Squirrel!

But I do like the rush that comes with shopping for another bike. no matter how many bikes I go through, it is still cheaper than drugs and women. :D
  20. motorhead748

motorhead748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. The key. The multis keyless ignition answers a question that wasn't asked. It'd be ok if it worked all the time. Yea you can enter a code to bypass the fob but why? The original key in my model T ford is nearing 100 yrs old & still works fine.
    2. Fuel range. Under 200 miles for a touring bike? This isn't so bad until you read #3
    3. Undependable fuel gauge. I'm on my 3rd fuel sending unit and I have ran dry at 180 miles when I still showed 3 bars. Luckily only a short push to the station.
    4 comfort. Subjective I know.
    5. This will sound funny but it's to nice to ride it like I use the strom. I'll ride to bonneville salt flats and out on the salt. The bike will be covered in salt
    6. The brakes. I've never had a vehicle that constantly needed the brakes bled like this one. The multi is an awesome bike tho even with a few quirks.
    Alexander B and Little Bike like this.