The bike I want doesn't exist

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Jun 22, 2019.

1. st3ryder

st3ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new Ducati ST. Looks like an overgrown Desmosedici with locking, hard side cases. V-4, 150hp; 100 lbs/ft torque; 540 lbs wet. Fully manual top shelf Ohlins and Brembos.

That is all.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    2021 Multistrada is getting the V4.

Its not going to look like a Desmosedici, but the rest will be there.
  3. st3ryder

st3ryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Deal breaker. :-(
  4. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    For anyone that's interested, the bike I thought I could make my own turned out to be a colossal failure, you can only change a bike so much before running square into limitations set by the engineers. Lost a lot of money in a very short period of time, I was really down over it. So from there I decided to reach back to the bike that could do no wrong, the one I mentioned in the first post. Is it the same? Maybe for a few minutes, but of course not. I am however enjoying the hell out of it and plan to finish up the best years of my life on it, until I turn roughly 50.

There is a lot to be said for nostalgia if you approach it correctly. If you go in hoping to feel like you're 20 years old again forget it, but if you're looking for a special way to superficially revisit your youth I highly recommend it. This bike gets hotter than shit and would be a fatal flaw on any other bike I could buy today, but there's just something about it that makes me not care.

Also got very luck to find a 2003 model (Last year of production) with 5000 miles on it in showroom condition. Mechanically and physically it's flawless.

IMG_1123.JPG
  5. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Wow. That's a twist - WTF happened with the Triumph?
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Wow! Seems a little defeatist. I got my first ever brand new, expensive, dream bike (KTM 1290 SA) at 53 and have had some of the best, most adventurous rides of my life since turning 50. I plan on a lot more to come. Maybe the bike or riding will have to be softened at some point but I don’t see that coming soon.

Glad you found a bike that ticks the right boxes for you. Try to enjoy the things you do on it rather than worrying if it’s perfect or not.
    mitchxout likes this.
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, going through a mid-life thing but I feel like my days to ride in my prime are limited. Every year than passes I think more and more about the dangers of riding and less about having fun.
  8. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why I call my bike "Moody Blues"
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    RowBust - that like is for your signature line. Me too.
  10. dave 6h

dave 6h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d like Honda to make a naked version of the VFR 1200.
    It would still be a shaft drive and be pillion friendly.
    Traxx likes this.