The Bike is the But

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dogjaw, Apr 29, 2019.

1. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone Supporter

Oddometer:
    No tethering of any sort to the bike, either on mr DR or CB; if I were to go down, and I frequently do when offroad on the DR, I want her to be thrown clear and not attached to a cartwheeling bike.

As far as food, dog food is pretty much the same price everywhere, and it's a lot easier buying it in the road than taking up invaluable storage by carting it all the way from Arkansas.

As far as her wanting to ride, there is no doubt. I can't keep her off o the thing. This last trip really kicked both of our butts, but she was back on and rolling just a few days later for the Special Olympics ride we do every year. IMG_20190523_235510_895.jpg IMG_20190524_101750_848.jpg IMG_20190523_234558_560.jpg IMG_20190523_234745_240.jpg IMG_20190523_235144_933.jpg
    Amphib, JB2, bluestar and 3 others like this.
  2. dogjaw

Oddometer:
    And this is her when she's pretending to be all tired out; the shameless hussy

Amphib, horseiron1, HPPants and 2 others like this.
  3. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a pair!
    Really Enjoyed our brief fellowship @ Warped dogjaw. Having been away from adv for awhile i was unaware of all this (btw, “Go West..” was the 1st R.R. when lurked) until greeting Shunka @ the rally. Asked about progress on his project hack,...

It was an honor to be near this adv awesomeness. I go now, long day in construction dust/debris etc.

IMG_1996.jpg
    MrKiwi, Shunka and dogjaw like this.
  4. dogjaw

Oddometer:
    is whole trip actually started six years ago when I first saw the SUV parked at the Baptist rehab center, and with return home, it didnt feel like it was yet over. And it has continued to this day, the crazy coincidences that have heaped one upon the next even before I had my own get-off that left me with a ruptured colon and a 40k helicopter bill. My first phone call while laying in the hospital was from Pam:

"You have to write that book".

Then, as a result, we found Charlie Bravo, and that story took off from right here in the Basement, under the title "insert your rant here", and that's been a crazy ride as well. The two interconnected journeys have continued to evolve, but I have never been able to pin down as to what final destination.

Thecharliebravostory.com

And on top of that, I have lost two jobs in the last three years, but both being corporate nightmares in an industry that is dying a prolonged death, and killing all those sycophants that must operate within it's confines. And both losses have produced great results; if I hadn't been canned from the last one, I couldn't have even considered taking the last trip and being gone for almost a month. I realize that for you world travelers, this is small potatoes, but to a fifty+ guy from Arkansas, this has been the trip of a lifetime.

Except it's not. I had it in my mind that this trip would tie a knot in the Trevor/Charlie/Dogjaw saga, so why do I have the sneaking feeling that another is right around the corner? My long-suffering wife has been more than understanding, but my own conscience dictates that I settle down and "get back to work". So where do I go from here? The answer is what you get when a elephant has carnal relations with a rhinoceros: an "elephino", something that you can't describe but will take you on a helluva ride should you choose to climb on, but will stomp you flat should you get in it's way.

It did come to me amidst the whistling silence of my helmet somewhere in Idaho, "relax, and let it come you", but that requires blind faith, something I have precious little of. But it did prove to be true, with the unloading of the sidecar rig, the accidental discovery of Bonneville, the countless times I should have ran out of fuel in Nevada, Idaho, and Utah, but somehow didn't.
    The unexpected encounters with moose and pronghorn, the mindblowing surprise that Pam was going to learn to pilot the sidecar, hanging out with Tyler, Trevor's autistic brother while waiting for Pam and Trev to arrive home, the chance to hang out with the heathens at Warped, never suspected but incredible experiences all.

Even though I have no idea what it meant, or what it means, or will mean in the future, all I can do is "vini, vici. Velcro";

I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Now for a quick breakdown of how the equipment held up:

The Honda CB1100: Plenty of smooth power to hammer through the mountains with 160# of extra weight on the back, including Charlie. Two areas that need improvement are range, as 160 miles is not confidence inspiring out west, and weather protection, as storms blow up so quickly in the mountains that you don't have time to gear up before you're totally wet. Other than that, the CB is a great tribute to Mr Honda, an old school bike that rides like new, and air-cooled at that.

Schuberth C3 Lite: my beloved Shoei GT Air came unstowed on the trip on the Uhaul, and was banged up beyond saving. Revzilla did a great job in getting me a C3 expedited; I've never been a fan of modular helmets, but people tend to want to talk when they see a dog on a motorcycle, so I figured I should eventually get one. The Schuberth was reasonably priced, very quiet, does not fit or look like a bulky modular, and vents very well, even without a rear exhaust vent(what witchcraft is this?)

Olympia Troy jacket: with massive vents that can be closed against the weather and a utilitarian appearance, this is a great piece for overland travel if you're not wanting to look like a Power Ranger. I was bummed by the lack of response from their corporate when I reached out to them to determine if they would like to outfit Trevor and Pam; a simple "no" I can deal with, but a complete blow off? Not so much.

Alpinestar Scout boots: had these for years, and can't say enough good things about them, as both ADV and touring boots. Dry, comfortable enough to hike in but still stiff enough for protection, these things rock.

And the Charles? She did great. If anything would ever happen to her, I honestly don't know that I could keep riding, as she had become such an integral part of my travels that I'm not sure I could or would even want to carry on without a wad of annoying dog on the back of my bike.

Vaya con Dios, te veo fuera de lo común IMG_20190530_072157_317.jpg IMG_20190530_072157_323.jpg 20190427_154128.jpg IMG_20190530_072157_361.jpg 20190427_210923.jpg IMG_20190509_233029_286.jpg IMG_20190505_102652_175.jpg IMG_20190515_181615_073.jpg 20190505_144632.jpg IMG_20190424_232313_750.jpg
    Amphib, Shunka, Shooby and 5 others like this.
  5. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really cool to see a couple of pics from the Special Olympics. I have a young man living across the street who is a Special Olympics athlete and he'd been after me to come watch him run for a couple of years. The past 2 years I've done just that. Last year i took a half day off work and watched a few events. This year? I just told my boss I wouldn't be in that day. As much as Teddy, my neighbor, got out of my attending I think I got twice as much. He loves motorcycles and I would love to get him on mine for a ride but his mom tells me for all of his talk and bravado when the time would come he would run to his room and hide and I don't want that. I do let him sit on them whenever he wants and blow the horn or work the turn signals or whatever.

Puts my first world problems in perspective.
    horseiron1 and dogjaw like this.
  6. dogjaw

Oddometer:
    There's nothing like it; the ADV crowd around here hasn't missed it in years. I've been told I should charge admission, as I make a complete ass out myself every year, but how to tone it down? I absolutely refuse...

Below is my buddy Willie Popejoy; he LOVES to twist the throttle, seeks me out, (or I him) every year to make some racket... goodcleandirt, SVrader, thumpstart, Yamamojo, natelepain, are among the advers that bring the big wood to these festivities.

IMG_20190523_234745_240.jpg IMG_20190527_173235_539.jpg IMG_20190524_101750_848.jpg IMG_20190523_235645_917.jpg IMG_20190523_235715_371.jpg IMG_20190528_074237_035.jpg IMG_20190523_235415_286.jpg IMG_20190524_103030_456.jpg IMG_20190523_235510_895.jpg
    Amphib, wayno, Cobra5150 and 2 others like this.
  7. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow I didn't know Trevor was living in the Seattle area. I've rebuilt a few CB550s from the mid 70's, I remember helping him with his on the SOHC4.net forums. Jeez that was 8 or 9 years ago. I also remember when we all heard about BOXKNIFE getting struck down by a friggin' drunk driver and left for dead. Why is our society so damn lenient on drunk drivers? That is one of the most unfair issues about or "civilized" society I just don't get. Glad to see Trevor's spirits up and able to get around and enjoy life. The Puget Sound is a great place of healing I've always believed. Just sitting on the beach listening to the waves can help immensely. Great report.

Also mentioning the special olympics, there was another member local to here from the SOHC4.net that is involved in it. FLYBOX1 if he's reading this, Hi Rob!
  8. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Prophetic!