The Blackbird Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cplus, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at a really nice '99 with 9000 miles for 4K. Mostly stock except for some bar riders, screen and low pegs.

Is that a fair deal?
  2. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Yup. ^^:johntm
  3. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or for $4500 I could get his extras, Corbin, Staintunes and OEM pannier's + the stock pipes and seat. All pristine.
  4. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, just did the balance adjustment. Turned out to be quite simple, once the fairings are off and the left adjuster is located under the hoses and cables and debris.

Tightening them almost brings back the VFR whine, hehe, but overall, it seems to be quieter. The sound that was bothering me, kind of a metallic brushing sound, seems to have gone away. Will have a better feel for it once I go for a ride.
    217959 likes this.
  5. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a steal, given the mileage. Service history?

Must have been sitting for long spells. Test ride is a must.
  6. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So uhm.. anyone need an Ohlins rear triple-clicker, or a Corbin w/ backrest? Or any other parts, for that matter?

Looks like I don't have to worry about engine noises any more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  7. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    That'll buff right out.. you ok?
    Mazaev and davyjones like this.
  8. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Ohhhhh… That's not ideal.

Looks like it's just cosmetic though, wouldn't take much to fix 'er back up.
    davyjones likes this.
  9. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm fine. The gear sacrificed itself gloriously.

As for the bike, all the fairings are basically toast, since it flipped pretty hard. The sub-frame that holds the front end was almost on top of the triple tree, and at least one of the engine covers cracked. Also, there was no power and I couldn't find the reason.

Will pick it up next week and have a better idea, but I'm not about to rebuild this thing.

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk
    davyjones likes this.
  10. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I have a 99 XX that has a tired rear shock..
    In Oregon...
    Sorry for your loss..
    Just killing time today and stumbled on this thread.
    Picked up my dream bike a few months ago '05 GSXR1000 and my XX is just sitting.
    Do want to keep the miles down on the GSXR...so rethinking selling my XX? ? ?
    From the photo of your bike Mazaev, looks like you are on the right coast?? I see hard wood trees..not fir and pine like out here.

hum....do like that XX for longer rides...then again...I might still want to sell it...
    something to sleep on...you up for a fly and ride ??
    Shoot me a pm with the price you want for the rear shock if you want..
    davyjones likes this.
  11. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch Mazaev glad you are Ok.
    I am guessing Arden Valley Road?
  12. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. Been taking people there for years and have seen quite a few friends and randos go down (we have some named corners ), so I guess it's fitting that my time should come.

Looking at parting the bike out, although I still haven't been able to pick it up (aiming for next week). Any of you guys need anything? So far, just the shock is spoken for...

13. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

How did the inner left side fairing/trim pieces and the tail section fair?
  14. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The left side fairings are rashed from sliding. I don't remember the inner trim piece. The tail had cracking at the mounts before the crash, but was other wise clean. I think it still is, but will know better soon.

The fairings are overall in pretty bad shape and need to see if the forks are still good, but it does have some goodies:

VFR bars
    Power commander 2
    Corbin seat with backrest
    1 wwek old series rectifier with all the right wiring
    1 week old stator
    Wheels (wonder what they're compatible with)

(Will add to this post as I remember, and will have a forsale post soon)

davyjones likes this.
  15. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arden Valley is a probably the trickiest road up there, it's caught more than a few riders off guard. Glad you're okay.
  16. Smathersfish

Smathersfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stumbled on this thread for the first time today.

I've got a 1999 xx that I rarely ride because I keep trying to top my top speed on it and it scares the sugar out of me. I thought at 50 years old I was ready for a bike like this but I'm not. I have 4 other bikes so this one gets little attention. I took it on a 400 mile trip a couple of weeks ago and set a new record time going to visit my sister! I'm sure ya'll know what I'm talking about.

I got it last year with 8,900 miles and now it has 9,900 miles. Has yoshimura 4 into 1, seat cowl, & various chromed bits. It has been lowered by previous owner. I have the original exhaust headers and mufflers in great shape as well as the original rear suspension links to put it back to stock. Also have a box of parts that came with it that I've never explored. Has new front tire and good matching rear. It has a few small paint imperfections but nothing major. This thing runs perfect and makes all the right sounds! I would like to pass it on but not to an inexperienced craigslist youngster! $4,000. In Western North Carolina. PM if interested

Thanks, Josh
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open

Oddometer:
    @Mazaev

I managed to drop this thread somehow. Glad you are OK - sorry for your loss.

What are you riding these days? Do you plan to replace the Bird?
  18. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been riding my beat up old 919 since it happened.

Not planning to replace it with anything similar. The one thing about the bird that bothered me is it just wasn't fun around town at all. It was amazing in the twisties, but between the stepped up enforcement here, and my own scaling back on the crazyness, it's just not what I need right now. Plus, I got tired of always having to stare at the speedo.

Next bike will most likely be a Ninja 400. It just seems like the most practical thing, and it will be fun to wring out keeping up with the sportbike / track crowd.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 04 Honda 599 last week, it's going to be my replacement commuter between Hoboken and Coney Isl.; previously I had a $850 04 Ninja 250 that I sold to a friend to have his boy start riding moto.
    At the price of $1600, I don't care so much if it gets ding'ed up or stolen.
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Mazaev

Mazaev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heh, it's funny how similar your fleet looks to the bikes I've had... a 919, an F2, a '99 VFR and a Blackbird. They were all great, but the 919 was the rear keeper out of the bunch, and I suspect you may have a similar experience with your Hornet. They're just good at everything, and it's amazing how much easier maintenance is without all the plastic. And they crash well :p
    Cat0020, Hobbomock and davyjones like this.