The Blackbird Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cplus, Sep 10, 2011.

1. jet123

jet123 Using all my gears Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a different BB forum, sounds like an '02 silver with less than 5k miles will be coming up for sale soon. Not mine and it's in the Dallas Fort Worth area.
  2. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don’t ride a ZX14R, it will ruin everything else. XX is fast, but downright slow compared to that damn thing.
    1 wheel peel likes this.
  3. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a ZX12R, and it was enough to tell me I should not possess that much power. It might be okay for some people, but sooner or later it was going to lead me to deep trouble. So I sold it and bought a Buell that never ran :lol3

That kept me out of trouble.
    Plungerhead and Shaggie like this.
  4. Sir Denis Eton-Hogg

Sir Denis Eton-Hogg Tap into America Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a ZX14R in 2014, didn't ruin anything, just, made me realize I don't need a bike that fast.

Loved the brakes.
  5. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about big liter plus fours made in the last 20 years is the power is very controllable. They can putt along all day sniffing flowers, slice through heavy traffic and go to warp only if you want it to. Self control is a must if you are riding the beasts, especially with no nannies to keep you from high siding into oblivion.
    Guano11, Skidmarkart and 1 wheel peel like this.
  6. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
    Pleasantly surprised today that full coverage on the bird with a $500.00 deductible is $21.00 a month for me via State Farm. :beer
    Cat0020 likes this.
  7. linkweewee

linkweewee tantum quantum

Oddometer:
    Driving home from work today in a 45mph zone and I see the obvious headlight of a bird following me. Just sounded mean at stop signs. I never see them anywhere. Was happy I own one all the way home.

:beer
    Plungerhead likes this.
  8. Need For Speed

Need For Speed Is that a cop?????

Oddometer:
    Had mine, which has become mostly a commuter for me, out in the local mountains recently.

Still love this bike, even though it's the oldest one in my stable.

20210601_151640.jpg
    Cat0020, Creekgeek and Hobbomock like this.
  9. -Tom-

-Tom- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Running away from the city heat.

[​IMG]
    mumu37, Plungerhead, Gaslight and 9 others like this.
  10. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    A few months ago, a garage mishap left a gash in the lower left cowl and a gouge on the left side engine cover (stator cover) on my 'Bird, both cosmetic. Had a wood block under the side stand of my XR650R to keep it more upright & when I turned away, the suspension settled juuust enough to shift its CG to the opposite side. Heard the cringeworthy THUNK & when I looked back, the BlackBird was teetering back & forth on its center stand. There was also a barkbuster-sized divot in the concrete floor. Anyway, the 'Bird fortunately stayed upright, but not before breaking the XR's fall, which was unscathed. It's taken me this long to be able to write about it....

Anyway, finally took the bike for a quick 50-miler, then readied it for an oil change in prep for a 3-day ride. While I was at it, pulled the left-side fairing intending to put some epoxy on the backside of the fairing crack, but it's covered by foam matt damping material and I didn't want to make things worse by peeling it back & having it come apart. Crack stays as-is.

But wait, "Is that oil on the left engine side cover? Could that blemish be more than cosmetic?" It sure looks like a gouge, but no way it's deep enough to penetrate....

Side cover gouge closeup:
    20F945F8-6661-4E4C-B908-370161DEDDE8.jpeg

For some perspective:
    3B965868-86CE-474B-AEFD-92D6D5BA7BAC.jpeg

See the oil traces? Pulled the side cover bolts & a couple taps of encouragement with a rubber mallet broke the cover loose. Couldn't figure out why it just wouldn't come straight off; it felt like it was oddly tethered somehow -- then I realized I had to overcome the rotor's magnetic force to get it all the way off (but not so much to yank on the short wiring harness).
    iPhone photo allows much greater magnification/detail than what I could initially see, even with reading glasses.

Here's what it looks like from the inside; it's at about the 1 o'clock position in the pic:
    6B8FD87C-4883-41AD-9BE7-B0C15C035546.jpeg

Closer view:
    154F35EF-82F2-41A3-8944-A6A7E1C87D43.jpeg

Try as I might, I could NOT see daylight through the gouge -- even with the brightest LED I had shining from behind the crack from either side. But clearly there's a compromise.
    And guess who had a new part -- and gasket -- on the shelf? That's right, This Guy (points thumbs at self).:gdog

So cleaned the mating surface & installed the new gasket & cover.... tight as a drum again.

If I didn't already have a part on the shelf, I would've sealed the hole with some JB Weld & probably called it good. If I had skills, I would've soldered or welded something into the hole.

Anyway no doubt more for "The Garage" forum, but thought someone here might want my old part, free of charge. Making the repair would save a few bucks (part is available new, but it's about $150 online I think) or keep for a spare. Take care of the shipping and I'll put it in the mail. I'm not on any BlackBird-specific forums, but happy to send it to someone there as well as along as the contact info comes through a PM here. 2001 model year, if it matters....

Offering it up here (free) before putting it on eBay for $40 or so.
    Shaggie likes this.
  11. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the generous offer. I'm just hording NT650 Hawk parts, well those and all the other crap in my garage :lol3
    Guano11 likes this.