The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mmmoto71

mmmoto71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are in AUSTRALIA, and have an unloved Megamoto lying around. Im interested.
  2. air-cooled

air-cooled Been here awhile

Oddometer:

first trackday

standard HP2 MM exept for HK-suspension progressive coils in front fork,
    fitted with conti race attack comp endurance with 2.1 and 1.8 cold.
    for exemple to compare, Troy Corser with a HP4 on slicks does easily a 2:00 while giving some instructions to another rider, that rider needs to let go now and then.
  3. ktatlarge

ktatlarge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi fellas. I took ownership of a 8000miles Hp2 MM and wanted to replace lighter fork oil (7w) for a cushier feel. Upon taking it apart, I discovered this setup instead. I’m new to front suspension mods. Can anyone guess what kind of a setup this is? It is different from what is described in the manual and parts fiche. I am assuming the black plastic tube (measuring 238mm) is a spacer and the spring is a lot shorter than stock. Thank you all inadvance for your insights!

A6752160-932E-421B-BB95-09B30E85096D.jpeg
  4. air-cooled

air-cooled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that your guess is correct.
    My front suspension is also fitted with another spring which was just a bit shorter than the original. Spacers were added to come back to the original length.
    Your setup seems the same in a more extreme way.
    For a softer feeling a longer progressive spring with and a shorter spacer seems to me the first step.
    A little bit more air a second.
    Thinner oil the last.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
  5. Rangy

Rangy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Australia, but not unloved. Good luck with your hunt.

After a pre-winter run in Tasmania
    [​IMG]
  6. shreddr

shreddr No try, do or not do

Oddometer:
    Can one of you owners let me know the dimensions of the HP2 decal on the fairing and whether the white portion is the paint showing through or is the sticker itself. Thanks!
  7. mmmoto71

Oddometer:
    Ive got 1...I want another:)
  8. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I simply dont use mine enough with good roods way to far away time wise. In not pushing to sell it but it is available.
    Sno Dawg likes this.
  9. mmmoto71

Oddometer:
    Unless Virginia is also an unknown suburb of an Australian city, I guess I wont be chasing that one:)
  10. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazon can deliver by drone!
  11. Rangy

Rangy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sticker is 208mm x 48mm (largest measurements), but the top edge follows the letters so is not straight. So the white within the letters is part of the sticker, but not around the top of the "H", or above the "2" - if that makes sense??
  12. shreddr

shreddr No try, do or not do

Oddometer:
    Thanks brother!
  13. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is what looks like a really nice MM for sale at a dealer in Nevada. They have an ad on our local (Portland, OR) craigslist.
    3353 miles and asking $16,995. A bit deceptive about their location. But they list a number with a 702 area code. Says "Used Bike Superstore".
    I'd post a link, but apparently the mods frown on that sort of thing. ;~)
  14. mrjon

mrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,
    I wonder if any MM owners would be able to answer this question for me, thanks in advance.
    Is the original tail fairing the same glossy finish white plastic as used on the tank and nose fairings?
    I’m acquiring a MM shortly and it’s fair fairing is a textured thicker plastic from the other fairings. I’m presuming it’s an after market part but can’t be sure as it’s the first MM I’ve ever seen in the flesh and you can’t tell from pictures.
    Cheers
  15. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Anyone owned an MM also owned a Ducati Hypermotard? How do they compare?
  16. ktatlarge

ktatlarge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rear plastic fairing on my MM is a thick piece of textured white plastic. I took ownership of the bike at 1000 miles so I’m assuming it is stock.
    mrjon likes this.
  17. edzt

edzt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True, and it’s a right sod to get marks off
    mrjon likes this.
  18. mrjon

mrjon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s great info thanks gents.
    It looks like I’ve got the correct part installed then. It makes sense as I was in the dealership yesterday getting the price of the new left and right tail fairing sections. I got quoted about £300 which I presumed was the price for each side,and still rather less than I expected, when they said no that’s the total for both I was amazed.
    As an owner of an HP2 sport I’m familiar with the price of HP carbon fairings and was expecting a big price.
    That’s good news then I can perhaps divert the cash towards some HP levers instead.
    Cheers
  19. mmmoto71

Oddometer:
    As previously stated, they are textured plastic. £300 is bloody ridiculous for what they are:) For perspective, imagine paying that for the rear plastics on a jap dirt bike?!!

To clean them, I use “gumption”. Makes it easy.
  20. Rangy

Rangy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, a textured plastic that gets marked easily. It is also a "whiter' white than the tank which is more "cream". After getting marks on the rear panels which I couldn't remove (and seeing the cost of replacements), I applied a plastic wrap which matches the tank, and is much easier to clean.