The BMW HP2 Megamoto thread.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Joe Bar, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Surprised to hear that. I'm 5'10" and I find the screen really quiet, with no turbulence issues. It was one of the worries I had before buying it ,as both my KTM950 Adv and my Rockster both had very noisy screens. Never cured the KTM as I ended up selling it, but replaced the screen on the Rockster for a much smaller item that is musch quieter.
  2. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the road through Perthville, Gresham and Newbridge?
    Did you know that the Abercrombie Road from Bathurst to Taralga is sealed all the way through now?
  3. Megaman

Megaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe I rode the bike for another 60 miles and now I realize that the screen works very well. The noise is present sometimes but this is based more on the direction of the wind and the position I hold my head. Under normal conditions the ride was very quite. Yesterday I was really concerned when I first tested the bike now I am a happy camper.:clap

Cheers,
    The Man
  4. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Now got the Aros Marmitte de-cat header pipes fitted. I've not had chance to ride it yet, but first impressions are that they are very light, at standstill noise doesn't seem much altered with stock baffles in and only slightly louder than before with the baffles out.

Very easy to fit and everything lined up and fitted without any problems or modification needed.

http://www.arosmarmitte.it/

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/
  5. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe,
    They look great and you will notice a big difference up top in the rpm range without the cat. Give us a report when you've had a chance to blast around. Have you considered getting a new can? The stocker is pretty heavy and big but I do think it flows pretty well. I just put the baffle back into my Akra race can. It was a touch too loud and I couldnt here those lovely boxer valvetrain noises with it out. I don't think theres much in the way of power loss with the baffle in. All the extra power comes from getting rid of the cat.
  6. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    No, I had been looking for some time to find de-cat headers that would fit with the standard can, as I actually prefer the look of the standard item. Strange, I know, but I just think it suits the bike.
  7. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a five day 2,500km blast round the Aussie Hills (locally we call them the Alps :lol3) and have had great fun preparing my rear tyre for replacement. My question is that I understand the standard is a 180/55/17 Mich Pilot Power, should I replace it with a 190/55/17?? same make & compound?
  8. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Joe, I had a look at your link to their site, are yours the HP2 enduro pipes on their site? Can I please ask what they cost?

Terry
  9. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Ron, the road we used started back of Lake Lyell, via Sodwell, Tarana, Gemalla, Locksely, Brewongle and came out on O'Connels Rd just near Bathurst. Enjoy, Terry. :lol3
  10. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    I too thought it noisy at first but I beleive it allows you to ride 30-40kms + faster over much longer distances as there is much less buffeting.

Only problem is I cannot see out of mine because it is covered in dead flies....:D
  11. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    The difference in sustainable cruising speeds :evil over long distances is remarkable, the biggest benefit of the screen without doubt.
  12. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any thoughts on the rear tyresize?

13. fixinbones

fixinbones Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why do you think you would need anything bigger than the 180?
  14. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Bigger is better right? Well that is sort of the reason for asking, I don't know if I do (but think more rubber more grip?) but given I have to replace the scrubbed one is there any benefit going up 1 size and if there is will it fit? Does anybodyknow what the downside would be?

15. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    They are around 540 Euro's, there is no picture of them on the Aros site, but I emailed them and they sent me the photo's I had previously posted. The guy there called Antonio speaks good English.
  16. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    I'd stick with the standard size, I can't see much to be gained from a larger rear tyre in terms of grip, but it would affect the steering, so why bother?
  17. NakedRider

NakedRider NakedRider

Oddometer:
    +1. No point in going bigger on the MM...on the Sport, however:D
  18. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Your just saying that because you have one, your conflicted!! :lol3
  19. Megathumper

Megathumper +

Oddometer:
    Ron, did you catch my reply to your question?

I have one for you, what do you think would be the most interesting route/road (tarmac) from Taralga back to Sydney? [​IMG]

Cheers, TD
  20. Megaman

Megaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my opinion on the tires. After the original rear Pilot Power was dead at about 5K miles I decided to try the new Pilot Road 2C same size tire, replaced the front tire with the original Pilot Power.

I did a long trip in the summer with the PR2C and got over 10K miles out of it, actually the tire could have taken a few more miles, but the front was ready for replacement and I decided to change both at the same time.

If you properly brake in the tires I don't see any problems whatsoever with the Pilot Road 2C, with my style of riding and considering the California highways that are almost impossible to avoid all the time, I am very happy with my decision. In the twistiest so far I haven't reached the potential of these tires, yet! Actually the new Pilot Road 2C is closer in design to the PP then to the original PR tires.

Now if I say that they are as sticky as the PP, I would be most probably lying, therefor I kept the front PP, but again with my use of the bike, I found a great combo.

At 19K miles on the MM "experience" meters.

Cheers,
    The Man