The Break the KTM 790 ride - A trip around the USA.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 8, 2019.

1. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the list of mods.

Also, when you give your post ride report on the overall performance on the 790 A/R, please let us know if you considered any other bikes before buying this one...and post this trip, would you get the same ride? If no, which bike would you pick? If yes, what would be your second bike choice.

Thanks
    Pete S, MTBRALPH and windblown101 like this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 24: Arkansas and the Ozarks.

The eastern edge of Oklahoma is rolling and has trees and reminds me a bit of home in the Shenandoah Valley even though I'm still a long way from home.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants at this point of the trip and not bothering to load the GPS route I had laid out before starting this journey into the GPS. In fact I haven't bothered to load any of the original planned route onto the GPS screen since I left Ouray CO. The original route is a bit south of where I am but timeframe on this trip is running a bit short at this point and taking the time to research and make a route plan doesn't hold much interest. I opt to just point the bike towards things that may be interesting that lay generally in my intended direction and follow the squiggly lines on the map to see what I stumble across along the way. The Ozarks hold some promise so that's the direction I point the bike.

I enter the western edge of the Ozarks and ride dirt roads until mid-afternoon.
    DSC00737.JPG

Saw a bunch of old cars slowly rotting away on some fellows property. I wanted to inspect closer but no trespassing signs were on display so I respected them and took a few photos from the edge of the dirt road.
    DSC00738.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00739.JPG
    DSC00740.JPG

Whatdoyouknow. They have some longhorns over here in Arkansas too.
    DSC00748.JPG

I stumbled across this interesting structure while on a remote section of dirt road. The architecture seems oddly familiar but I can't place it and it's driving me crazy. :(
    DSC00751.JPG

Having had fun poking around on the dirt but not stumbling across anything challenging I switch gears and jump on Hwy 16 along the northern edge to continue east. It's a wonderful twisty road, lightly traveled and good pavement which I followed up with a run up Hwy 7 which was equally appealing. The bike ate it all up and my inner squid had a lot of fun. These roads definitely remind me of home as well.
    DSC00757.JPG

Spotted an old mill and stopped to investigate.
    DSC00759.JPG DSC00762.JPG DSC00758.JPG

Towards evening I checked Google and found the town of Pocahontas AR not too far away on the map and called a motel there for a reservation. As I first rode down the street it looked like a sketchy neighborhood and I considered moving on. However when I arrived at the motel it was packed with sheriffs vehicles from all over the state (like 50 of them)! I spoke to some of the deputies at the motel asking what in the heck brought so many cops from all over the state to this little town. It turns out there is a training academy just a couple of blocks away. After we had chatted a bit and were on friendly terms I told them that if anyone stole my bike overnight there would be no end to the razzing they were going to get from me about it. ;)

20190919_191102.jpg

Slept like a baby...
    Venturer, Hovieone, ejm4 and 11 others like this.
  3. b56tc

b56tc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks from many including me on this excellent chronicle, really a terrific report. When appropriate, fascinated to hear more details about living with the 790

At some point - can you detail your process for the CGR mirror attachment? It looks like you fab'd it as best as I can tell from the pics. Very nice look and appears functional as well.

BTW - if you are still on the road - and still having some NSAID gastritis - get an over the counter proton pump inhibitor (PPI) like Prilosec or Prevacid - and double the dose, twice a day for 5-7d; will really raise the pH of your gastric secretions and allow your stomach to heal. Persistent pain past that time frame probably needs a scope -
    Dr Twisty, bobw and windblown101 like this.
  4. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day 25: Crossing the Mississippi River - Not much of a report for today.

I rolled wheels in four 4 states.

Left Arkansas and crossed into Missouri.
    DSC00775.JPG

Took a pause to play around on some sandy wildcat trails along the Saint Frances River that forms the state line between Missouri and Arkansas for a bit.
    DSC00778.JPG

Crossed over the Mississippi into Tennessee. Dang, I already miss being out west... The first town I came to in Tennessee was very small. I stopped at a gas station there to fill up and get a bite to eat since they also served food. I felt like I had been transported back in time to the late 50's early 60's very deep south. It was a bit eerie actually, but the locals were friendly and everything was cool, it just had a very odd and unfamiliar vibe.

Checked out one of the local crop dusters for a bit. Crop Duster pilots are crazy. I've seen them in action, LOL.
    DSC00782.JPG

Rolled up near Bowling Green Kentucky for the night. The bike continues to run great. I on the other hand am still running a bit sluggish and in need of a tune-up.
    day 25 map.JPG
    ejm4, juno, CaseyB and 6 others like this.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I know I'm breaking the timeline here but wanted to take a pause from the daily log and do a little video editing. I'll get Day 26 added here later today. In the meantime, hopefully you'll enjoy this video with scenes from Little Poe Mountain Trail in PA, all the way back from the first day of the journey.

Day1: Little Poe Mountain Trail
    ejm4, juno, bobw and 3 others like this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day 26:

Got on the road from Bowling Green Kentucky and set my sights on a stop somewhere around Mammoth Cave to play tourist and check one of the cave systems in the area. Then perhaps find something a little epic in the way of some riding to do as I continued on my way home. I thought perhaps Daniel Boone NP would provide that and since I had done no research prior to the trip on that area posted up a plea for some ideas here on ADV.

From some quick research it sounded like Crystal Onyx Cavern was a pretty neat cave system and the tours typically only ran a bit over an hour in length which would allow me to work my way over towards Daniel Boone NP for a run thru it tomorrow.

Crystal Onyx was cool. It's a small family run outfit and I dig that.
    DSC00798.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

DSC00818.JPG

DSC00814.JPG

I got back on the road and headed towards Daniel Boone NF and later stopped at a small town that was holding a "Cow Days" celebration. I have no idea what that is but since they had the streets blocked off I figured I might as well walk around a bit.
    20190921_141439.jpg

If your sense a waning desire for the road on my part you're not wrong... After all the epic sights and trails of the last few weeks it's hard to get excited for three reasons: 1) It's harder to find cool and at least somewhat challenging routes along the east coast compared to just randomly jumping on stuff you see out west that goes for miles and my lack of a plan for this region is showing by not finding much on the fly. 2) This is familiar terrain for me. Even though I haven't been here before, the mountain regions of the east are all pretty similar. 3) As I have both alluded to and mentioned outright - the bike is great. Me? Not so much... but make no mistake about it I'm in this to the finish. This trip will go 8k plus miles and I will continue to work this new model KTM to the end of the ride. I'm on the home stretch!

As I got near Daniel Boone NP I realized I had allowed my route to swing a bit far north so I swung south and stopped in Burnside KY near the southern end of the park for the night. Tomorrow I would source some maps and perhaps get a response here on ADV for some route suggestions in the area.
    Black Rhino, juno, MarkNC and 3 others like this.
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    And another throwback video. This from back on Day 6:

Entering the Badlands of South Dakota via back roads.
    NoelJ, BLucare, bobw and 3 others like this.
  8. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    What are you filming with? Looked really good. Assuming it’s the chin bar mount?
    juno likes this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yep, using a chin mount and a Gopro Hero6. Typically get decent results but having occasional issues with getting a corrupted video files that are completely useless. It happens with different SD cards (all approved for use in the Hero6). I tried reloading firmware, etc. From what I read on the internet it's not unheard of and no one solution seems to work for everyone. This trip I recorded everything in 4:3 as some folks were stating that certain video formats were the issue but I still lost some epic footage to the problem. :(
    ClutchDumpinDan and juno like this.
  10. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a great RR WB! Wish you safe travels home. Definitely liking that 790, miss my 690 every day!
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Last days log entry coming up. Not sure if I'll get it done yet tonight or knock it out tomorrow. ;)
  12. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Great videos, man :thumb Can confirm, the chin-mount GoPro is a great way to go. I have the Dango Design Gripper mount, but there are others. My fairing gets in the way sometimes, but overall I find it's a better place to mount the weight than on the side. It forces me to stand up on the pegs to get a better shot, too :lol3

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled programming.
    MaddBrit likes this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The first thing I thought of was Doctor Zhivago.
    Dr Twisty and windblown101 like this.
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day 27 (and the wee hours of Day 28) - Last day on the road.

Woke up and ran about 35 miles further south before dipping east into the Daniel Boone national Forest this morning. I hadn't gotten any solid tips or advice on the area (though one inmate had a brilliant suggestion though unfortunately it didn't arrive till after I was home).

I got a hold of a map of the forest and started to look for a route that held promise to take me north through it. Sadly I was greeted by the harsh reality that there was no obvious south/north continuous route. For one thing the Daniel Boone National forest is split in two places as you travel it lengthwise by rivers for which there are no bridges within the forest. I checked the map again, I checked Googlemaps, I checked my GPS. I was striking out...

That left me with one alternative test I hadn't considered yet for this ride and now would be the ultimate time to do it. Could the 790 be a bike comfortable and competent enough to drag an aging, road weary, and strung out rider with over 26 days straight of riding under his belt the long final leg home in one straight run? It seemed like a daunting thing to ask of bike and rider at this stage of the game but it would be a worthy last test. I pointed the bike NE and set out to find out.

I did make one stop out of shear curiosity along the way. As I had been making my way south yesterday evening I had spotted folks running quads and bikes at a small dirt drag strip just off the road I was traveling and I had foolishly demanded of myself to not get distracted and keep riding. This morning when I passed it I turned and stopped in. The place was now empty except for the owner who was there taking down the timing system and cleaning up. The owner and I struck up a conversation. They run a 300' dirt drag, Pro/Am, mostly bikes and quads. The track looked sweet and I instantly regretted not having taken the time to stop the night before and visions of making a few timed runs with the 790 complete with camping gear strapped on danced in my head. That would have been epic! LOL.
    20190922_112546.jpg
    DSC00822.JPG
    DSC00823.JPG
    With that out of the way and a seed planted in my brain for something fun to do at some point in the future I got back on the bike and I was off again.

Just to to be consistent with the ride to date, I did find a little dirt here and there along the way today.
    DSC00830.JPG
    DSC00832.JPG

I was still flying by the seat of my pants as to the route. I was all about making time but that didn't mean I had to throw in the towel and hit interstate home. I got to the Kentucky line - Good-bye Kentucky. Hello.... Ohio? I thought I would be crossing into WV here. My bike is lost, guess it thought it would find whatever it's missing in Ohio. Let the adventure continue!
    DSC00836.JPG

Made my way through Ohio and this time did finally make my way to the WV line.
    DSC00837.JPG

I wormed my way on secondary highways up to Parkersburg on the western edge of WV and as the sun started to set I jumped on Hwy 50 which would take me the last long leg home thru WV and into Virginia. Hwy 50 through WV is a twisty ribbon of remote and deer invested asphalt at night. After awhile I felt my energy reserves reaching critical. It was time to pull out the secret weapon. I pulled into a gas station, drank a cup of coffee and dug into my tankbag for the item of last resort - You see, I don't normally listen to music when I ride, but I do keep a playlist of my all-time favorite classic rock music on my phone and carry ear buds in my tankbag for just this type of situation!

Earbuds in, full tank of fuel, playlist cranking out my favorite tunes... Watchout kiddies, we're making a run for the barn and will be coming in hot.
    20190922_220846.jpg

I pulled into the driveway at 2:34am of day 28.
    20190923_023823.jpg

20190923_023908.jpg

last day.JPG

whole trip.JPG

Home safe and sound! Trip miles = 8174. Last day miles 621. (Not a daily record for me but not too shabby). I failed to break the 790 on this trip but it wasn't for lack of trying occasionally.

I'll post up a summary of the bike, my impressions, and some vids from the Blackhills, and Moab in the next few days.

My special and sincere thanks to the fine folks at RideOnMoto who if they had not been there this ride would likely have never happened. (No I'm not sponsored by them, just a grateful customer). Sadly they fell on tough times while I was gone and are currently closed. I am holding out for a Phoenix moment to see them rise again from the ashes.

Thank you all for following along! It's been a ride. :)
    JoJo, Venturer, BigDogRaven and 23 others like this.
  15. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What program/GPS system are you using that traced your route? I'm referring to the last pick above, of the US map, with your blue loop.

Thanks
  16. breeno

breeno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There have been plenty of great RRs here on ADV - but this has undoubtably been one of my all-time favorites. Bravo. Thanks for putting the effort into such a great report.
    Dr Twisty, typeamark and windblown101 like this.
  17. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a screen capture of the track in Basecamp to me.
    windblown101 likes this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Garmin Montana and Basecamp.
  19. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your Ride report. Hell of a trip thats for sure and i’m glad the bike didnt let you down. I can relate to trying to get into Utah and to Moab thinking you should be hot. End of May we hit snow 3 times between Lava Hotsprings and Vernal UT. All we wanted was heat!! Take care and looking forward to your final thoughts. 738C632A-3654-41FB-A58C-DAED3749A538.jpeg
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words. There is a bit of effort involved in the process but it also helps cement the memories for me. A daily log I type into my phone of the day helps immensely from it all becoming one long continuous blur. ;)
    Boxall, breeno, CaseyB and 1 other person like this.