The Break the KTM 790 ride - A trip around the USA.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 8, 2019.

1. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Great follow-up so far! Out of curiosity, how many miles were on the bike when you began the trip? Sorry if you mentioned it earlier. Cheers :thumb
  2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report.
    Enjoyed it more since I was in some of the same places through UT, CO this year.
    Going to have to take a closer look at Quickshifters now that you rated- meh :)
    I am thinking you like QS in general just not on the 790?
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had right at 3000 miles on the bike prior to leaving on the trip. 11,203 miles on the bike now.
    BLucare likes this.
  4. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Don't want to get too far into the weeds on the subject here however I brought up the QS so I'll give a quick summary for my position:

I dig quickshifters, and enjoyed playing with the one on the 790 on a few spirited backroad twisty runs, good fun! Both the up and downshifts were very smooth. I especially liked being able to just tap down while leaned over and approaching the apex in a corner to keep the bike in the desired rpm range for a blast out of the apex. Very Cool!
    :super

But... it intruded into my existing habits, namely it thinking I wanted to initiate a shift the very moment my boot ever touched the shifter. A change in riding habits would have solved the issue, but the real life advantage of a QS is the speed of a shift under full load or full deceleration and a 10th of a second advantage here and there wasn't worth the necessary mental reprogramming I would need to work through. Old habits are hard to break! :)
    juno and DCTFAN like this.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    So far I've focused on the positive aspects of the bike because honestly, I really, really like this bike, but it's time for the trail carnage and gremlins commentary before moving on to other subjects and videos.

The bike performed admirably during the trip, however there were a couple of gremlins that reared their head from time to time, and I did take some trail damage along the way. I don't fault the bike for the trail damage, that's on me but it's only fair to show that the bike is not impervious.

Gremlins
    On day one when I had to get turned around on the single track I laid the bike on it's side to spin it 180 so I could backtrack because the trail was tight and rocky where I was (In other words, I suck at pivot turns). When I stood the bike back up I noticed the rear licence plate reader light was flashing on and off. No other lights were doing this and the ignition was off. Odd... Then when I started the bike the TFT display (which I keep on night setting) had a grayish and grainy looking background rather than black as it normally would have. It was like it was being over-driven with voltage, yet my voltmeter on the dash showed normal running voltage. The odd flashing licence plate light and TFT dash issue cleared up on their own by the time I got back to the gravel road and did not act that way again the rest of the trip.

As I was crossing Wyoming on pavement (Day 7 maybe?) the TFT dash went black. I immediately pulled over to check it and it came back to life on it's own before I had even completely rolled to a stop. It never gave me any more trouble the rest of the trip.

At one point in Idaho as I was running through a town at about 35mph the bike started to stutter a little like there was a fueling issue. I had a bit over a half tank of gas at the time. I kept riding and 2-3 minutes later it sorted itself out. Never did it again the rest of the trip.

Oh, and just after I started this trip the front brakes started pulsing under hard braking at low speeds (issue had been sorted once prior to the trip but no new parts installed). That never went away completely but by the end of the trip it did not seem nearly as bad. I think it was better, and I worked around the issue by finishing stops on the rear brake rather than the front.

Trail Damage:
    Yeah, there was a bit of that. Gouged the front rim catching a rock just wrong here and there. No taco'd rims though.
    trip tire.jpg

Only significant trail damage to the bike was up by Medicine Wheel when I dumped the bike while riding some rutted two track and the bike came down on the rocky ridge between tracks right about mid front Fuel Tank Spoiler plastics. It cracked the left side plastics. Broke the inner left liner. Popped the regulator connector off (no damage to the regular or connector though). I thought that was the extent of the damage and just wrapped up the mess with a ziptie until I got home.
    trip fairing 1.jpg

Upon getting home and doing the whole after ride clean and inspection I discovered the drop had managed to tag the left side of the radiator as well. This surprised me as the radiator is pretty well sandwiched by the stout gas tank top and bottom, but there is a small window where it's vulnerable and I found it. Fellow inmate @TrailTrauma has an almost identical looking dent on his left side radiator from a similar mishap. So while the tank will protect the radiator in a fall under normal circumstances, if you land the bike in rocks you might get unlucky. I smell an opportunity for some enterprising soul to make a radiator guard to protect this area.
    trip front left side 2.jpg

trip radiator.jpg

The splashguard (skidplate)
    Yep, it doesn't look to healthy anymore. Tweaked, bent, and looks like it took a couple of pretty solid hits right next to the lower tank protectors on both sides at some point along the way. The good news? It did it's job, but I'd say barely so. I am actively considering my options in that department.
    Trip skidplate.jpg

OK, that's it for the bad news! Back with some info on gear and videos later.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Misc video snips from my first day exploring around the Black Hills. Some gravel roads, some two track, some single track, and a bit of wandering around finding my way back to camp.

GS2Trout, bbanker, Vrode and 2 others like this.
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thx for taking the time for the R.R. and answering questioning , :beer.
    Kevs likes this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Gear load out:

Mosko Reckless 80:
    Top bag - Tent (less tent poles which get strapped behind the top bag) , cold weather down sleeping bag, air mattress, air pillow.
    Right bag - Fishing rod - electronics bag, toiletries bag, tennis shoes, dirty laundry bag.
    Right rear pouch: Camp chair
    Left bag - 3 pairs of socks and underwear, 2 moto shirts. One set of Merino wool long johns. One windbreaker/jacket liner. One pair of jeans. One small bath towel.
    Left rear pouch: Campstove, Coleman candle, cooking utensils, coffee, sugar, & creamer. (you know, the important stuff!)
    Left side attached to mollie straps: camp/trail machete/saw.
    There is a bit of room in both side bags for food I pick up and I usually have a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade stuffed next to each of the sides bags.
    Jacket shell gets slipped under the beaver tail if hot.

Kreiga 20liter bag (waterproof) Sits on rear rack behind the Mosko so it stays on the bike when the Mosko comes off.
    Tool pouch, tire spoons, spare tube, plug kit, air pump, air gauge, trail stand, chain lube, huge zipties, cable lock, spare brake pads, some spare nuts & bolts, safety wire, couple of small towels.

Tankbag: Phone, small camera, Delorme Inreach, 5 hour energy drink, advils, small flashlight, hat, sunglasses, etc.

Hydro backpack: First aide kit, spare gloves, flashlight, (water of course), some snacks and energy food.

Main riding gear:
    Sidi Adventure 2 waterproof boots
    Klim Latitude pants
    Klim Carlsbad Jacket w/armor removed
    Moose Racing XC1 base armor Jersey
    Arai XD-4 helmet
    Whatever riding gloves are handy

I think that's all but I probably forgot something.
    juno, Pipeman, rjnutt and 4 others like this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Oh, loaded Moab Top of the World video too. Starts slow, good finish, kind of like the ride itself. :)

10. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    I’ve been following your great report since you started..

Excellent easy reading and I was content to just keep reading, BUT after “the Video” I just had to add a comment.
    I felt like I was riding along and man, thanks for stopping when you did. :muutt
    Ten more feet would have really hurt.

Extremely well done and super informative report.
    Thanks
    BB
    windblown101 likes this.
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great thread!
    windblown101 likes this.
  12. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice video. Makes me feel like I was there. Oh wait, I was. :muutt
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Dang glad you were! Top of the world was the type of ride where two heads are better than one as we looked at line choices along the way!
  14. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your outstanding report. Will be putting money down on a 2020 790.
    windblown101 and MTBRALPH like this.
  15. NateLePain

NateLePain Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

Thanks for sharing.

nlp

:*sip*
  16. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Appreciate the reviews on the gear used and bike software/hardware. I’m too cheap to pay for the QS just to deactivate it. Haven’t used it once though, and my accidental shifter “touches” have stopped, thankfully. Really appreciate the ktm grip heater review!
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks!. I considered just unplugging the wire to the QS sensor to deactivate it but my dealer worked with me on getting the software installed without it giving me sticker shock.
    sledneck likes this.
  18. jimmydteach

jimmydteach Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Great RR. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    windblown101 likes this.
  19. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride and report. Thank you. :y0!
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. joenuclear