The Break the KTM 790 ride - A trip around the USA.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride and report now my hope is the 790r is readily available at dealers this spring since there are none to be found now! Thank you for taking the time to do the ride and report
    windblown101 likes this.
  2. zoo

zoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yep, awesome ride report. Thanks for taking the time to describe the bike in such detail for us still buying. Mine comes in this winter.
    Fuel range, I saw the 50mpg, so at what mileage on the dash does the reserve come on? What is the longest distance you will push, comfortably before looking seriously for fuel?
    Baldy likes this.
  3. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

I don't run down to the reserve level often but around 205-215 miles is when the low fuel light typically comes on. However when the tank is low and the bike is on it's side stand the low fuel light will come on much earlier so don't let that throw you. It will sort itself out after it takes a few readings with the bike back upright. The bikes range is right around 250 miles depending on the riding being down. Before the trip I got 254 miles out of a full tank before it started to sputter on fumes. That was an unintentional test...

I generally start keeping an eye out for gas around the 150 mile mark and will fill up as soon as the opportunity presents itself at that point. Sometimes I'll push further if I know I'm in an area where gas is plentiful, other times I'll fill up earlier if I'm heading into a remote or sparsely populated region. Nothing worse than sitting on the side of some trail thinking "Geez, I wish I hadn't ridden past that last gas station".

Enjoy the bike!
    juno, BLucare, MaddBrit and 3 others like this.
  4. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is alawys good to know what the eco cruise speed is, my 650 gets 43 at 80 mph. almost 60 at 50 mph
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  5. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just want to add my appreciation for the time and level of detail you put into this report, particularly for doing it live as it happened, takes a lot of commitment after long day of riding. I discovered your RR while out on my own ride across the country so just got to finish reading yours now. Things like the detailed packing list and weight of what you took along is invaluable for newer riders looking at how to pull of something like this. Someday I hope to be as confident in getting off the pavement. Again, tip of the hat to you.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    In truth there was some lag on the daily updates for a variety of reasons. A short daily personal log helped in putting it all together and keeping it straight a bunch.

For me hitting stuff off the beaten track was a process I became comfortable with over time. Certainly didnt happen overnight!

Local rides off the pavement with others, Then local rides solo. Lots of time spent locally improving skills and confidence. And yep, most importantly reading the stories and reports of others who had already been there and done that. I still learn more about myself and the things that work and dont work for me every single trip, still learning from others here as well!

I enjoy putting a bit of time into a ride report for my own satisfaction. If others enjoy it, get inspired by it, or pick up a tip or two that's awesome. A small payback to the community that I continue to learn so much from.

About time to start thinking about the next one... :)
    Dr Twisty, Baldy, dano619 and 5 others like this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amen to still learning. I've been riding since 1965 and still learn something every time out, whether it's riding skill related, scheduling do/don't, the people mix, and at my age things to just stop doing now. :hmmmmm

...ken...
    Baldy, windblown101 and rsteiger like this.
  8. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completely agree. I've done five long rides now, did RR's for four of them. That one trip from Germany to Greece and back I have all these pictures, some memories, but a lot of blanks, too. So much easier to remember the other trips after a few years when I have a RR to look back on, especially written or notes taken as I go.
    Oldschoolrocker and windblown101 like this.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride and report. I just discovered it and enjoyed it immensely.

I am wondering how you planned this trip. You found some classic stuff. My guess is a combination of BDRs, TAT, other classic rides. I suspect some Cannonshot tracks were used.

How did you find and what made you decide to do the single track in the Black Hills? That looked like a great find for the big bike.

I knew you were in for a challenge when you attempted that power line road near Gunnison. These roads can be notoriously difficult because they pretty much have to go straight no matter what the terrain is and tend to be lightly used.

I imagine you are a well above average rider given all the really tough stuff you did on that big bike?

Finally what were a few big advantages of the 790 over a 690 for you?
    Baldy and windblown101 like this.
  10. pzvt

pzvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very kindly!
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

A lot of time here on ADV rider, google maps, and Garmin Basecamp. The short version is I found what I thought would be cool places to ride in various parts of the USA. Searched for details on each area, selected ones that were within reasonable reach of one another and just connected the dots while avoiding interstate as much as possible (I probably had less than 300 miles spent on interstates the entire trip. And yep, parts and pieces of some known rides were thrown into the mix. ;)

I could have spent a week or more in every "main" area of interest and still only brushed the surface with new things to see and ride but I wanted as much variety as possible in the time allotted which made for a limited amount of time in each spot. It's the type of ride a lot of folks generally suggest avoiding due to being constantly on the move but that was exactly what this ride was about to a large degree.

Dumb luck. Seriously. All the singletrack I ran during the trip I stumbled on.

Man, that's a tough question to answer. I'm not a racer and don't have an extensive dirt background. I'm a converted street guy. Above average? I dunno... That depends on the playing field. I'm very fortunate to have been able to ride with some very talented riders over time, some of them are inmates here. Ex-racers, current amateur racers, and just damn naturally talented riders. I suck compared to all of them but as the saying goes: "Want to be a better rider? Ride with riders better than you." I heard that one of them when asked once about my skillset simply replied "He's a rider." Best complement I ever got, especially considering the source. :)

In no particular order the standouts are:
    Long range comfort - I did not enjoy long pavement runs on the 690. Pavement runs don't bother me on the 790.
    Predictability - The 790 is a big bike and physics can't be denied, however, I find the 790 to be utterly predictable and composed and that instills confidence which provides the ability to commit when commitment is desired or required to get through a tough spot.

Great questions BTW! :)
    Motor7, wbbnm, Black Rhino and 6 others like this.
  12. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Just got in from a 10 day road trip (in your neck of the woods @windblown101 ) , only on page 5 , where you are currently in one of my favorite riding areas. Loving the RR ,and will catch up on it this evening. Keep delivering the goods my friend.
    windblown101 likes this.
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Well dang man. You come up here and don't give me a shout? I see how it is... ;)

Hope it was a great trip!
    Black Rhino likes this.
  14. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    Not a great as yours. But man , you guys have good motorcycle roads all over up there.
  15. Black Rhino

Oddometer:
    Nice , Humble answer. You're a good rider. :beer
    windblown101 likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same Chinese company makes Ryobi (consumer quality) power tools and Ridgid (contractor quality) power tools. And a number of other brands in between in quality. They'll build, and guarantee, any quality you want to pay for. They'll even assist with the designs.

I'm old enough that this whole "Made in China = Junk" thing strikes me as exactly the same, and exactly as ill-informed, as "Made in Japan = Junk" was back in the day.

...ken...
    Hivernaut, JP4 and rsteiger like this.
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Orange Crush is just around the corner folks. Lots of discussion about manufacturing there. Just sayin...
  18. NovoLibra

NovoLibra n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Enjoyed your ride report, comments on the 790 and gear. Enjoy the bike and look forward to future adventure updates.
    windblown101 likes this.
  19. ilmothefinn

ilmothefinn Last snail in the coffin

Oddometer:
    Just found this - will read it through... Very nice pics and video. I think the bike is nice, soft bags are what I think is the correct way. I know people love to hate unfamiliar things and be sort of nationalists but because I come from a small country it's not my piece of cake. Actually there are lot of people that are like me... But my (long forgone) father was born in USA so I'm a little biased anyhow...
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. Kevs

Kevs n00b

Oddometer:
    Great Ride and review, thanks for taking the time to share it , with the rest of us. Recently bought the 790 and agree , what a great bike.
    windblown101 likes this.