The Break the KTM 790 ride - A trip around the USA.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 8, 2019.

1. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like they bolted stuff to the radiator so any hit on the fairing will transfer force to the radiator. Not sure that's a good idea.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing bolted the the radiator is the inner fairing piece which since it's just plastic would snap (as it did) if hit hard enough. What I can't quite figure out is the rather large amount of damage to the outside edge of the radiator. Not only is it fairly well sandwiched between the upper and lower parts of the fuel tank, it also is tucked fairly well inside of the outer plastics which while damaged didn't really show signs of a hit where the radiator got bent up. If it wasn't for the fact that another inmate suffered almost identical damage I'd absolutely rule it an unfortunate fluke.

As it is I am still inclined to think it was more of a fluke than a weakness in the design, though I will probably order up a replacement and put it on the shelf. Nothing like having a spare part on hand to ensure you never need it. ;)

trip radiator.jpg
    Rich Rider likes this.
  3. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure looks like a design issue to me.. and a common one at that. A lot of bikes with radiators suffer from this type of issue and I suspect some people who have dropped their bikes on a trail don't realize the radiator has been dinged unless it is leaking. I had a little incident on my CB500X with a Rally Raid Stage 3 kit on a ride and I messed up one of the fairings - didn't look too bad and since parts for that bike were cheap I decided to order a replacement at some point. Part came in but I never got around to installing it until about 6 months later. When I pulled the old fairing off I was shocked to see a crumpled radiator tank even though it was well protected by the gas tank... or so I thought.

Some of the radiator guards and plastics for the WR250R attach to the radiator directly and when dropped you are at risk to tweak the radiator and it has happened to several people.

Since I know I some point I will be dropping my bike I pretty much make sure what ever guards I put on the bike will cover the radiator as well. While I have yet to punch a hole in a radiator I sure don't want to start doing that in a remote area far from cell service.
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks. Q about that fuel tank: How does it get fuel from the other side to the side with the pickup when you get low?
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    KTM uses a fuel line to connect the lower lobes on each side of the tank to each other. It acts as a balance tube to keep the fuel level in both sides the same. They used the same technique on the 1xxx bikes as well.
  6. -2wheelsgood-

-2wheelsgood- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another big thanks for the RR. Fantastic summary of what looked like an amazing trip.
  7. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell from the pic, but can that Rad mounting area be armored somehow?

Hey I was also nearby in the Monongahela a few weeks ago riding back from a New England tour. Did some MABDR on the way up and pavement on the way home...it was good.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I suspect it can though I don't even play at being an engineer. Material strength and destructive analysis is far from my area of expertise. I'm thinking some sort or u-shaped metal sleeve down each side would add quite a bit of strength to the sides however it would likely need cross bracing to help prevent the additional strength of the side from transferring the force of a hit onto the much more fragile cooling tubes/fins area. Better to have the force of a hit be absorbed with a dent in the solid side of the radiator than a fractured radiator... At least that's my shade-tree theory.
  9. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Towards evening I checked Google and found the town of Pocahontas AR not too far away on the map and called a motel there for a reservation. As I first rode down the street it looked like a sketchy neighborhood and I considered moving on. However when I arrived at the motel it was packed with sheriffs vehicles from all over the state (like 50 of them)! I spoke to some of the deputies at the motel asking what in the heck brought so many cops from all over the state to this little town. It turns out there is a training academy just a couple of blocks away. After we had chatted a bit and were on friendly terms I told them that if anyone stole my bike overnight there would be no end to the razzing they were going to get from me about it. ;)

View attachment 1916692

Reminds me of that scene with all the cops at the motel in the Matt Dillon film Drugstore Cowboy.
    windblown101 and Ken in Regina like this.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Lol.