The Break the KTM 790 ride - A trip around the USA.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 8, 2019.

1. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like they bolted stuff to the radiator so any hit on the fairing will transfer force to the radiator. Not sure that's a good idea.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing bolted the the radiator is the inner fairing piece which since it's just plastic would snap (as it did) if hit hard enough. What I can't quite figure out is the rather large amount of damage to the outside edge of the radiator. Not only is it fairly well sandwiched between the upper and lower parts of the fuel tank, it also is tucked fairly well inside of the outer plastics which while damaged didn't really show signs of a hit where the radiator got bent up. If it wasn't for the fact that another inmate suffered almost identical damage I'd absolutely rule it an unfortunate fluke.

As it is I am still inclined to think it was more of a fluke than a weakness in the design, though I will probably order up a replacement and put it on the shelf. Nothing like having a spare part on hand to ensure you never need it. ;)

trip radiator.jpg
    Manny U, Hannda and Rich Rider like this.
  3. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure looks like a design issue to me.. and a common one at that. A lot of bikes with radiators suffer from this type of issue and I suspect some people who have dropped their bikes on a trail don't realize the radiator has been dinged unless it is leaking. I had a little incident on my CB500X with a Rally Raid Stage 3 kit on a ride and I messed up one of the fairings - didn't look too bad and since parts for that bike were cheap I decided to order a replacement at some point. Part came in but I never got around to installing it until about 6 months later. When I pulled the old fairing off I was shocked to see a crumpled radiator tank even though it was well protected by the gas tank... or so I thought.

Some of the radiator guards and plastics for the WR250R attach to the radiator directly and when dropped you are at risk to tweak the radiator and it has happened to several people.

Since I know I some point I will be dropping my bike I pretty much make sure what ever guards I put on the bike will cover the radiator as well. While I have yet to punch a hole in a radiator I sure don't want to start doing that in a remote area far from cell service.
    No-Fret and windblown101 like this.
  4. svneko

svneko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks. Q about that fuel tank: How does it get fuel from the other side to the side with the pickup when you get low?
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    KTM uses a fuel line to connect the lower lobes on each side of the tank to each other. It acts as a balance tube to keep the fuel level in both sides the same. They used the same technique on the 1xxx bikes as well.
  6. -2wheelsgood-

-2wheelsgood- Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another big thanks for the RR. Fantastic summary of what looked like an amazing trip.
  7. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell from the pic, but can that Rad mounting area be armored somehow?

Hey I was also nearby in the Monongahela a few weeks ago riding back from a New England tour. Did some MABDR on the way up and pavement on the way home...it was good.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I suspect it can though I don't even play at being an engineer. Material strength and destructive analysis is far from my area of expertise. I'm thinking some sort or u-shaped metal sleeve down each side would add quite a bit of strength to the sides however it would likely need cross bracing to help prevent the additional strength of the side from transferring the force of a hit onto the much more fragile cooling tubes/fins area. Better to have the force of a hit be absorbed with a dent in the solid side of the radiator than a fractured radiator... At least that's my shade-tree theory.
  9. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Towards evening I checked Google and found the town of Pocahontas AR not too far away on the map and called a motel there for a reservation. As I first rode down the street it looked like a sketchy neighborhood and I considered moving on. However when I arrived at the motel it was packed with sheriffs vehicles from all over the state (like 50 of them)! I spoke to some of the deputies at the motel asking what in the heck brought so many cops from all over the state to this little town. It turns out there is a training academy just a couple of blocks away. After we had chatted a bit and were on friendly terms I told them that if anyone stole my bike overnight there would be no end to the razzing they were going to get from me about it. ;)

View attachment 1916692

Reminds me of that scene with all the cops at the motel in the Matt Dillon film Drugstore Cowboy.
    windblown101 and Ken in Regina like this.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Lol.
  11. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
    @windblown101 Just seen this RR, no idea how I missed it when you were writing it but glad I found it now. Really great report with some amazing pics. Thanks for posting it. The only downside is now I want a 790R as well. Must resist!
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  12. windblown101

Oddometer:
    @TheBritAbroad

Thanks. Other than a few niggles that have cropped up post trip the 790 over all has been a real pleasure to ride. Looking forward to lots more fun with it.
  13. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Thanks .... Very Nice!
  14. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Willing

Oddometer:
    Great read! Every now and then I find myself with a little bit of free time and will check out the RR section of ADV to see if anything strikes my interest. Sometimes there just isn’t anything appealing at the time so I look elsewhere, other times I find something interesting and dive in. Your report drew me in right from the start and i binge read it in a couple day’s time.

You rode through some beautiful areas and told the story quite well and added some nice pics and video to share it with us. It’s rides like these that inspires me to dream a little bigger about my own next adventures. I personally don’t have a lot of motorcycle traveling experience despite having started riding over 30 years ago on a small Tecumseh powered mini bike. My first real moto trip was this past June when I did a half cross country ride from northern MN back to New England on my father’s old motorcycle.

Without carrying on about myself I just want to thank you for not only taking the time to tell the story of your trip but the follow up reviews on the bike, gear, etc. Well done!
    TheBritAbroad and windblown101 like this.
  15. jmcarter

jmcarter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Currently on the AT and while perfectly capable it just doesn’t do it for me and researching alternatives before a long trip this summer. Went to Alaska 3 years ago with a buddy who was on a GSA, his a Camhead, mine a low Wethead. Great bikes but at age 70 and 145 soaking wet the GSA’s bulk has made me search for lighter alternatives. Hence the look at the 790, Tiger 900, BMW 850, etc. Viewing tons of video and build threads and stumbled on this RR. Wow; well written, concise and informative. Think the 790 has been moved to the top of the list, too bad the AT used prices stink! Thanks so much for the RR!
    wilfred and windblown101 like this.
  16. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next time....:D

Takes up no more and can be worn as a layer all day...
    windblown101 and Suncoaster like this.
  17. Bora

Bora Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Superb read! Just binged through your entire ride report! You sir, have big cajones to attempt some of those trails solo, with the 790.

Thank you so much for taking the time out and making the effort to share your story with us.

I have one question - how would you compare the 790 A/R with the Tiger 800 XC. Pros & cons?
    Dr Twisty and windblown101 like this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Tiger is more comfortable and smoother on the road. Engine power comes on very smoothly but is a bit weak down low but it's basically happy anywhere in the RPM range. I wish the Tiger had a wider gear box though. The Tiger crashes well off road once a few basic issues are addressed. I've pressed the Tiger into some long trips including time spent in rocks, mud and deep sand. It does not like soft surfaces and the street geometry rears it's head there. It will get the thighs a bit toasty in extended slow going in hot weather. Over all I'd call the Tiger a dependable "Sensible" bike.

The 790 has the more engaging motor. Not quite as smooth down low. It's feels quicker up top. Bike handling is a bit less stable at speeds over 70mph. It's markedly easier to pick up than the Tiger and tracks better off-pavement. In the rough and especially on soft surfaces it completely blows the Tiger away in handling. Overall the 790 is a bit more like a hot redhead. More fun when things are good, maybe a bit more frustrating when things aren't.
    NoelJ, No-Fret, Pete S and 3 others like this.
  19. Zoaks67

Zoaks67 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR, thanks for highlighting the new bike as much as you have. I'm going to look at the 790R tonight and fingers crossed be bringing one home soon.....
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. Vagabond12

Vagabond12 n00b Supporter

Oddometer: