The BSA A65 & A50 series.....

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by England-Kev, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a wonder it ran at all with that tap. They suck a lot of fuel under acceleration and my Spitfire MkIII would die unless both taps were open. Those barrel marks are probably a minor nip up - pretty common if running hard and long in very hot weather with newish pistons. I've had it happen a couple of times in over 100F temps and a hone will sort it out. While the barrels are off have a good look at the cam and followers as I've seen them wear out quickly on some bikes, and also check the movement in the rods for bottom end wear. If there is any rocking at all (a bit of lateral movement is OK) then the shells are probably shot, also a common problem. Personally I'd replace the pistons with a set of JP or other lower comp jobs and give the bottom end a bit of an easier time. Be careful with that centre-rear rocker cover stud as the hole is bored straight into the oil gallery and if it comes loose in the head it will piss oil out around the nut. I'd also take the right hand cases off and run a wire rod through the breather hole in the cam as crud can build up in there and partially block it. And until you split the cases and clean the sludge trap, don't use multigrade detergent oils or the crud will come out and grind the guts out of it in a very short time. I had what was supposedly a fully rebuilt "new" engine in the Spitfire destroy every bearing in less than 500 miles as the cretin who had rebuilt it didn't bother cleaning the trap.
  2. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of pictures from todays visit to my lockup, first up is the front wheel I picked up yesterday at Shepton jumble, as you can see the brake plate is nice, but the rim is shot, so I think I may well get a new rim fitted when I do the front end change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left and Right Amal 930's, R41, and L42, soon to be heading for the ultrasonic bath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old pistons were/are Hepolite's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back at the last Kempton Jumble, I picked up a nice set of Craven Comet panniers, and an old rack that may well end up being fitted to the Lightning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    WP_20160907_001.jpg
    Another bike we have in common Kev, a '69 Tbolt I picked up a few months ago after a 10 years slumber. The bike that is. Pictured in front of the 'Kirk O Shotts' in Lanarkshire. Legend has it that there's pirates buried in that there churchyard.....

Attached Files:

fxray and Rich B like this.
  4. England-Kev

Oddometer:
    Very nice Dave
  5. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    aye, don't have a Vincent yet though....
  6. Jakeytrumpet

Jakeytrumpet n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, have you still got the A65, does it still have the wrong instrument mountings? I also have the wrong set for my A65 but the right ones for you. Like wise yours are right for my bike. Any chance of a swap?
  7. England-Kev

Oddometer:
    I do, on all counts, and yes maybe we could swap over.

[​IMG]

Still sorting things out, one bit at a time
    fxray likes this.
  8. Jakeytrumpet

Jakeytrumpet n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reply, will post a pic of them...
  9. Jakeytrumpet

Jakeytrumpet n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_2178.JPG IMG_2188.JPG
    The hole in your mounting plate is where my steering lock should be.
  10. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Jake, is that a real Clubman or a replica?

My replica:

[​IMG]

One of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden
  11. Jakeytrumpet

Jakeytrumpet n00b

Oddometer:
    IMG_1134.JPG
    I saw that picture a few weeks ago, a fine looking beast! Yes Kev it is a real Clubman, numbers look good and come's with a green buff log book. Trying to find a few bits that are wrong on it. I also need the head lamp shell. I've got a 69 export A50 which I use most days commuting round London.
  12. England-Kev

Oddometer:
    That was Rich, not me who commentated on your bike:evil

I shall take the clock bracket to the next Kempton Jumble if you want to swap them over.:thumb
  13. Jakeytrumpet

Jakeytrumpet n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry Kev, got the posts mixed up, that would be great to see you at the next Kempton. In March I think... hope the weather is better than last weeks. Will contact you nearer the time?
    Thanks again.

Just thought... does this include the clocks housings? I need these as well, but if you prefer them to my rubber ones (that should be on your bike) and what to keep them.
  14. Rich B

Oddometer:
    The correct headlight bucket is around, but most likely in black. The Lightning Rocket, Rockets with dual clocks, and an A50 Cyclone road model used the same bucket in black. Some Velocette & Matchless models used the same one also in black. Only the LC used the chrome bucket.

I have a TR/Rocket version sitting on the shelf, but is the version for the speedo to mount in the shell. I had a couple of LR buckets but sold them.
  15. Beezer Josh

Beezer Josh Moto-Amish

Oddometer:
    I think that is the smoothest BSA I've ridden.

16. Rich B

Oddometer:
    so Josh, gonna see you Saturday or you bobbing around some Dog forsaken body of water?
  17. GBen

GBen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the 80s I joined a BSA club because I had a Goldie and a Road-Rocket and a Spitfire and the club was relatively local. I was member #70 out of what eventually became thousands of members. By the 1990s I had got rid of all my BSA bikes, after all I had Norton twins to ride and my old man had been a Matchless dealer/racer, so when I needed space the BSA and Truimph bikes got the ax. In the time I did have some BSA twins though I had the engines of some of them apart and I could not believe how crappy they were engineered compared to the Trumpets and Norton twins, they were the bottom of the barrel as far as the British parallel twin went with their alloy rod-caps that went out of round and the chintzy timing-side crank bushing/oil-feed. When I was at one of the BSA club meetings I got a laugh when I heard a group of BSA owners complaining to each other that their twins were not trading for the same prices on the open market as their Triumph and Norton contemporaries, they could not figure it out, but they were the only ones who couldn't. Love is blind......
  18. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    If you'd ever had to do any work on an A10, the A65 was a dream engine.
  19. Jakeytrumpet

Jakeytrumpet n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Kev, just to ask if your still up for Kempton next Saturday (10th March) ? If so how do we meet??
  20. England-Kev

Oddometer:
    I shall be there, the easiest place to meet is in the pub over the road at 12