"The Bucky" dual sport - near Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by madwrench, Sep 23, 2009.

1. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    It was big fun! Pictures start on page 8 of this thread.

First-ever Bucky Dual Sport Ride will be
    Saturday, Oct. 24,:clap

The ride starts and ends in Cross Plains, WI, west of Madison.

INFO HERE
  2. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    I'm in ,:ricky

Who else is going?

Looking forward to some new trails​
  3. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking forward to this ride, but I'm concerned about the exhaust being too loud on the 525. It's the stock pipe, and I don't think its loud, but I'd hate to show up and can't ride. Anybody know of a place around Madison where I can get a test?:ear
  4. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie Custom fabricated dual sport accessories

Oddometer:
    I'd like to attend, but I too would wonder about my supertrapp exhaust. I've never had any complaints but hate to ride over to be turned away.
    Ernie
  5. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Dunno if I can make it yet. I hope to.

As far as loud....I know the stock EXC pipes tend to pass, but they are very close. If you haven't drilled anything, you should be OK. THE, the Supertrapps usually test good with the IDS series even better.

I'll be running sound checks at Wabeno Saturday morn, so I'll keep an ear out and see if there are any similar setups and what the numbers are.

I do have a sound meter that reads about the same as the AMA kitted one and can check sound if you are in the area.
  6. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    RE: The Bucky sound testing. We truly don't want to be hard asses about it, but if we piss off the local powers right out of the gate, then this will be the first and LAST Bucky, guaranteed. The ride starts right in town, and the entire ride area is steadily changing from rural to suburban, so plenty of "not in my backyard, even if it IS just one day a year, and I just moved here 6 months ago" types around.

Additionally, the WI clubs (KMSR, WIDSR, MMC) are trying to hold everyone to the same reasonable noise standard at all the DS events. Being less obtrusive is the only way to keep the rides going (I know...blah blah, you've heard it all before...but it has become critical). Even the quieter bikes need to stay off the throttle in some areas.

Claybuster: The stock pipe on your 525 will be fine if the packing is in good shape. :D I ride an '05 525 w/stock as well, and it passes. I do repack it on a regular basis.

Ernie: Obviously I don't know about your setup, but if the folks you've ridden with in the past have never made a comment about it being loud, then I suspect it would pass. If it's adjustable at all, obviously set it up with the quietest stuff. We don't want to turn anyone away, especially if they've traveled a bit to get there, and we'll do anything we can on-site to help get you to 96dB (this does not include some ass who shows up with an obviously obnoxious setup - we will send that guy home). Most of the DS folks have done a great job of quieting down.

I should have sound testing equipment available after I get back from the Big Woods ride this weekend. PM or e-mail me (that's my e-mail on the Bucky entry form) if you want to bring your bike to me in Madison and have it tested beforehand - I'd be happy to help however I can.

-Brian
  7. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Officially out in the interest of marital harmony.
  8. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Fookin poosie..:lol3
  9. yeroc40

yeroc40 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe that is what he'd like to preserve access to:wink:
  10. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    See ya at the Big Woods ya freakin pansy..........Oh wait, :rofl
  11. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in, mailed the registration today.
  12. truax

truax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could make it (especially since I am a U of WI alum). ANy excuse to visit Madison is a good one.

BTW: who is joining me Feb 6, 2010 for five ours of OUTDOOR hockey at Camp Randal?

Finally don't mean to be a smart ass but, you can't have a...
    1st Annual
    “The Bucky” Dual Sport Ride

It would have to be the...
    Inaugural
    “The Bucky” Dual Sport Ride

Nothing can be a "annual" until it is in it second year. Have fun, ride safe.
  13. zagger

zagger chopped & dirty

Oddometer:
    So - did I miss something basic like how far this ride goes? I'll be interested to see what kind of off-road is in the Cross Plains area.
    zag
  14. Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty Pretty quiet. Mostly.

Oddometer:
    Dav.Iowa- Wishing I were up in da North Woods...
    Me too- I'm in, along with Dirt Hammer from the Quad City area (Davenport /Moline). Looking forward to it! :D
  15. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy, I'm going to send my money in, and see if there are any spots left. At 125 spots it sounds like they will go fast. The wife told me I should go?? I'm kind of a rookie with the rides. I did the Forest city riders dual sport in Leaf River IL last year and loved it. (got 2 laps in, so I think I did ok)
    Are there going to be opportunities to get gas,( gas station along route, gas can trailer) or do I have to strap a jug on my 1.8 gal bike?

Thanks for postin the info.
    Dan

[​IMG]
  16. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Registration sent!
  17. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is understood, however the club's Obfuscatory Promotional Flyer Language Mitigation Committee decided to take some poetic license to clearly indicate that this will be
    a): The first Bucky Dual Sport ride, and
    b): It will be an annual event going forward.

But, hey - go ahead and change your copy. Might I suggest First Anal. :D

- B.

P.S.: The generally accepted spelling of the colloquialism you used is "smartass" - one word, not two. I'll let it slide under the assumption that it was your inaugural use of the term, and you'll do better next time.

P.P.S.: The above is all in fun. I'm not hatin', just pokin'.:amazon
  18. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Gasdocter: Cool, Shawn - see you there.

Zagger: The ride will start in Cross Plains and go in a big, almost circular, loop with the farthest point being out past Mazomanie.

The ride will be structured very similarly to the Kettle Moraine dual sport ride (an excellent event, BTW), which is essentially a lot of farmland sections tied together by roads. Paved roads, in our case, 'cause that's all there is around here, but they are scenic and twisty, at least.

Dan888: The off-road sections will be field roads, fields, woods 2-track, and ATV trail with some single-track in the mix as well. We are trying to set it up so we have a main route that will be fun for everyone; it appears there may be a wide range of ability and equipment. There will be some challenges, but they are optional. If you were comfortable at the Leaf River ride, you will not have a problem with anything at the Bucky. We do intend to add in more (optional) technical single-track as we go forward with this event.

Gas should not be an issue for this ride. There will be gas available on the route. We actually are never very far from one town or another (which has been part of the challenge of setting this ride up). We are still in the process of determining mileages, but you'll be fine.:thumb
  19. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:

I have the WI DSR club trailer home and the sound test equiptment is in it . we could try and meet and check it some night. little john
  20. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    LJ, I meant to borrow the meter from the club trailer before we left Wabeno - I remembered about the time we hit Lily. Several people have e-mailed me, worried about being too loud, and asking about a pre-test, which I would be happy to do once I have the equipment here in Madison. I believe the MMC has another test unit coming, but hasn't received it yet.