"The Bucky" dual sport - near Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by madwrench, Sep 23, 2009.

1. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    why were you and the wife hitting Lily????:lol3 :lol3 :lol3

there are actually 2 sound check units in the there, I can drop you the new one and if guys cant catch you I can do some too.

if they passed at Wabeno or West Bend are you going to make them re-test? just thinking if they have the offical sticker with the db on and it was obviously low it would save you time??Just me thinking again. maybe we should ask West Bend if they do the same for guys that had been to the Big Woods ??

let me know when you want it. and stop hitting Lily.
  2. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brian, did you drop your bike in the grass track just before the bridge crossing at Charltons on friday??? I hope it was you because I got it on the trail cam!!!:clap :clap :clap :rofl
  3. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    We're planning to test everyone, but since the KMSR ride is just 7 days prior we might expedite the folks that still have a KMSR pass sticker on the bike. Depends on how we're doing for time that morning. I don't know if Crowbait and I will be able to make the KMSR run. I think we'll need that day to work on the Bucky. Kinda sucks in that regard.

If you could bring in one of the test kits, that would be great, otherwise I can swing up to your house some night this week.

Yes, that was probably me picking up my bike at Charleton's. grass track. I did a couple laps of the single-track, and then a couple more of just the grass track. Ice racing tune-up, I suppose. The bike wasn't handling very well on the grass - I discovered when I got done that my rear tire was flat.
    I see Bonebag has some pics posted on the BW thread - including one of me ducking under those low hanging KTM flags. Didn't notice how low they were until my wheel was up. :huh

The laps of Charleton's was the only riding I did all weekend. Finnegan had a hell of a good time, though. Jarilyn too, probably...I didn't ask.
  4. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of us that have never done a ride like this, should we have any special stickers purchased prior to the event?

:dunno
  5. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    No, no stickers or such are necessary. All the off-road sections are private property, and all the road sections are regular public roads.

A few things that I've been asked about a lot:

Knobby tires: YES

Gas: You will be able to buy gas at stations along the route. You should not need an oversize fuel tank for this ride.

Total route mileage: We actually don't know for sure yet, because some of the sections we use aren't available until the crops are out. Something over a hundred miles, anyway - should have a better idea after this weekend.

Is there still room: Yes, there is still room for more. I will post here and on madisonmotorcycleclub.org when we get close to full or full.

What happens if a buddy wants to come along at the last minute: He (or she) will probably be out of luck. You can contact us and ask, but be prepared for 'Sorry, but no'.

By the way -- we are also putting on a ROAD ride (poker run) the same day, starting and finishing at the same place. This is actually a completely separate event, although it will share some roads, etc. -- all pavement riding. If you know someone that might want to do a pavement ride while you're doing the dual sport ride, let 'em know - the road ride will be a $10 deal or so. No need for pre-reg on the road ride, but the dual sport ride is pre-registration ONLY.
  6. Mr. Salty

Mr. Salty Pretty quiet. Mostly.

Oddometer:
    Dav.Iowa- Wishing I were up in da North Woods...
    Sounds like the route is a work in progress. :clap IS there a chance that a GPS track of the route will be made available here? :ear
  7. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is a work in progress. Someone is out there almost every evening now setting up trail, and we'll be hitting it hard the next couple of weekends.

I will try to make a GPS track available, but can't promise. The route may have some very last-minute changes depending on harvesting. Also, some landowners could possibly object if they think it might lead to someone riding there when they aren't allowed. But...I will try.

I don't know what the on-road to off-road ratio is mileage-wise, but you will sure be spending more time off-road than on!
  8. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the on-road to off-road ratio is mileage-wise, but you will sure be spending more time off-road than on![/quote]

sure probably pushing my bike out of a marsh or up Bong's hill!!:lol3
  9. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    LJ, I'm going to put a gps tracker on your bike so I know when to be at Bong's hill to enjoy your show. Or I may just grab a lawn chair and sit out there all day.

Years ago when we were riding mileage for the enduro, Willie, Richie and I were at the top waiting for Ken, who hit a rock as he was accelerating toward the hill and tipped over. Willie yelled, "Try it again, Ken! You almost made to the bottom that time!" :lol3
  10. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea Richie gave me a Cat hat after I gave up trying to make it up the shot rock and "dozered " my own path thru the briers and brush. I think it was actually easier going up that way! Oh and no reason to put a transponder on me, I'll just call you on your cell when I get there and need a winch:eek1 to pull me up.

BTW It was great to make it back to a M m/c meeting and see everyone last night. looks like Crowbait has it really figured out! I'm looking forward to going out and helping to do set up and trail work this weekend. Sorry you had to wade thru that cespool to get some of the info you guys needed then you were thinking about starting this. If I could I would have cleaned it out before letting you in there :lol3, to be honest that place kind of scares me too .. lj
  11. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    I now have the sound test equipment in Madison (thanks, LJ). I would be willing to test anyone ahead of time if they want to set up a time to bring the bike to me.

PM me or e-mail me (that's my e-mail on the Bucky registration form).

-Brian
  12. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alrighty, the check went out yesterday. Hopefully there are still spots available.

:thumb
  13. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    No problem, Hotspice - you'll have a spot.

We were out working on the route yesterday, and will be again today. Arrowing fields, cutting bits of fresh singletrack for the "hard way" detours, brushing out some old atv trails. etc. Everything is coming together. :thumb
  14. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hard way sounds good. :D Thanks for all the hard work you all are putting into the ride.
    Dan
  15. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    One note: We're trying to put in "hard way" options (we're referring to them as "red" trail because they will be designated by red arrows) wherever land, time, and manpower allow. It's enduro guys setting up the routes, so if we could get away with it, we'd make it ALL technical!

However, since this is our first DS event in Dane County, our primary focus has to be on the "main" (blue) route for this inaugural year. Once we have that established and know it's workable for all riders, (and that we will be able to continue to put on this event in the future) then we can spend more time putting in "red" options. I'm sure that after the event I will hear some riders say,"We want more technical trail!", to which I suppose I will answer, "Then come back next year!"

There absolutely will be some challenging options this time around, though. :thumb
  16. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    O was able to make it to Cross Plains on Sat to help out a few hours. The main loop I worked on was pretty cool! and was very simular to the 2 track and snowmobile sections at the bigwoods and ride 4 research. Sounds like Crowbait is renting a tractor and brushog to mow all the main trail parts( that beats the crap out of doing it all with hand held cutters). all I can say is expect a lot of elevation changes on this ride!:eek1 Brian I have a couple of main trail pics and will try to post them or pass them to you. lj
  17. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Yup, Crowbait will be out wreaking destruction with the brush hog. The single track section Duane, Willie and I cut last Saturday was unbelievably dense brush (mostly buckthorn, of course). No arrows needed in there - you couldn't leave the trail if you wanted to!
  18. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Confirmation letters are going out starting today.

For those who are coming on Friday (10/23) afternoon or evening, we will have sign-in available at the bowling alley (Cross Plains Bowl at Gopher Crossing) on Friday evening. NOTE - so there is no confusion - this is sign-in for PRE-REGISTERED riders - all riders must be pre-registered, no walk-ups.

We will also try to do some sound testing on Friday evening.

I'll try to post a few photos of the route on here soon.

Brian
  19. lamoson

lamoson something catchier

Oddometer:
    ok so first of i apologize if i offend anybody. i am NOT trying to. and i don't want to be a stickler about this, but it seems a little pricey to me. i know the proceeds go to local community stuff, and you get a meal and all, but it seems a bit high. the byron ride last year was 35 bucks for a non ama and 25 if you were. that was 60 miles of really fun technical dirt.

maybe this is a totally different kind of ride, and maybe setup is crazy for it. i am always ready to ride some different dirt, but i am a student working part time construction, so $65 is not easy to throw down on riding my bike.

so again, not trying to be a jerk, but why so much?
  20. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    No apologies necessary; it's a perfectly reasonable question. I can't speak for the Forest City Riders club, but here is the situation from the MMC perspective.

The Leaf River ride (Nov. 1st) is a really fun event, which uses a fair amount of the trail which is already set up from the enduro the weekend before. (It's a very fun enduro, BTW - Oct. 25th). So, the club gets revenue from two events with that trail - the enduro and the d/s ride. As I recall, they have food available for sale at the d/s, but it's not included. I don't believe a ride t-shirt is included either.

We are in a different situation here in Dane County. Yes, the $65/rider (which is the same cost as the excellent Kettle Moraine Sport Riders dual sport ride - Oct. 18) should more than cover our expenses, including the two meals and the shirt, but we aren't keeping the money. For us it is absolutely essential that we contribute to local causes so we have firm local support for this event right from the start. Otherwise there won't be another one, period. The higher our profile is (in a good way!) the more land will be opened up to us and we can improve and enhance this event in the future.

P.S.: For what it's worth - the club members pay the $65 to ride also. I sent my registration and check in just like everyone else.