"The Bucky" dual sport - near Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by madwrench, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    I heard the start location was possibly changing. Anybody know about that?
  2. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How bad is the mud looking (for those of us on dual sports)
  3. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked with Madwrench over lunch hour. He was out hanging last minute arrows and reset signs, He had heard of no changes to the start or rumors of change started by them. He also said expect the soil to be very soft tommorrow. as of right now he is putting lath in the feilds and most times not having to use a hammer to push them in ankle deep! so be ready for a mud fest. lj
  4. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Decision time.. 640 or 250 EXC??:D
  5. lamoson

lamoson something catchier

Oddometer:
    i would say if it is ever more than 50% dirt over pavement. ALWAYS choose the exc.
  6. FZ1 Matt

FZ1 Matt Better last than crashed

Oddometer:
    Decision time... KLR 650, KLX 250S, or KTM 625 supermoto with slicks?

I don't think the tires will matter. All my tires will be slick after the first mud section.
  7. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which one is easier to pick up? That's how I made the decision.:D

Also, I'm hoping the 525 is light enough to float on top of the swampy stuff.

Yeah, I'm just fooling myself.

See ya out there Shawn.
  8. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    See you tomorrow morning for the road ride, I'll prolly be in the cage.
  9. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    Hey, there are a bunch of dirtbikes on my street. Maybe I'll mosey out the door and see what's up...
  10. FZ1 Matt

Oddometer:
    My name is mud.

I seriously paid money to throw myself and my bike up greasy muddy hills all day long?

Man was that fun :clap

Remind me to bring actual dirt tires next time. I'm a dummy.
  11. Squidjuice72

Squidjuice72 n00b

Oddometer:
    I couldn't make it to "The Bucky" this year :cry so please post pictures of what I missed!
    Looking forward to seeing 'em!
  12. ffchick

ffchick FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer:
    You missed a lot of mud and snot filled hills. It was a blast! I learned the art of utilizing my back brake on steep slippery downhills yesterday. Can't wait for next years ride!
  13. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    You'll see a lot of pictures of me paddling up (and sliding down) some really slippery hills. But it was a great time! The weather was spot-on, and the late colors were fantastic.

Maybe next year will be even better when they can use all of the dirt sections. They had to abbreviate this year's because of the mud. But dad and I hd to shorten our ride even further; it was just a bit much for us.

Sorry, no pics from us, but I saw lots of people with cameras, so there should be a few coming up.

What a great day of riding...

Dave
  14. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome job by the people that put the Bucky together!! It was nice to meet some of the folks on here. Big thank you to the land owners too, many were out spectating as you rode their property. The cool cloudy morning turned into a beautiful sunny fall day. Perfect riding weather. Too bad about all the rain the week before soaking the trails. Like they said at the riders meeting there wouldn't be much dust :rofl. Super fun day. Good food, good riding. Mud is kinda fun sometimes. I'll put up a few shots, but I cant wait for Klasjm's pics. (Good to meet you Jim) It turned out to be a beautifull day for pics too.
    Thanks guys and gals!!!!!!
    Dan
    [​IMG]
  15. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sound check station. Oh oh, little muddy.
    [​IMG]

Head em up, move em out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trouble ahead on the hero
    [​IMG]

The offending slippery spot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't make it up either. Had to drag it out under the downed tree, along with the guy before and after me. Maybe if it wasn't so slippery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    A huge THANK YOU to everyone who rode this event. :clap Friday night we were almost in panic mode, wondering if we would be able to have any off road sections at all. Thank you for your understanding of the situation.

Everyone kept a good attitude despite our having to cut out a bunch of trail, and despite the muddy, slippery conditions of the trail that was there. As far as I know, everyone did everything right; kept out of the soybean and hay fields, stayed off the gas in the sensitive areas, etc.

Here's what we were dealing with. 2.5 inches of rain in a couple of days, on top of already wet ground. This is the rain gauge in Crowbait's front yard.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Tom Weber, Andrew Jensen, Dan Mancl, and Mike Theis for standing in a cold muddy field for hours to do the sound testing.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Sue Newton for pitching in and doing what she does so well: keep track of all of us.
    [​IMG]

I did not take very many photos - I was running around all morning, and then when I was on my way to set up and shoot pics at one of the after-lunch spots I was called away to transport a rider with a broken collar bone. (Heal quick, Carl!) But, here are a few that I clicked off at Dirty Dan's property (Dirty Dan was the guy with the Yosemite Sam mustache and the big cowboy hat. His property was the one with the winding grass track). Sorry about the poor photo quality! I was having some lens issues.

Ken "SSK" Schuck. District 16 President and one of the B.B. enduro vets. When we were wondering what the hell we were going to do about the event on Friday night, it was Ken who picked up paper and pen, wrote down all of the possible "leave in, take out" options, weighed 'em all, confirmed the decisions, and then went out and remileaged it that night so I could rewrite and reprint the roll chart (which I finished at 1am). He has similarly pulled my ass out of the fire when we've had to make last-minute changes at the Ruff-e-Nuff enduro. He is a get-it-done guy.
    [​IMG]

Bill (West Coast Hippie) Woodson. Bill flew in from Washington to ride with us (I loaned him a bike). Despite the distance, Bill is still a MMC club member and is the guy who taught us all how to do a dual-sport roll chart when we put on the first Big Woods nine years ago. At that time, Bill was the only one who had ever even been to a dual-sport event. This year he will ride the LA-Barstow-Vegas dual sport event for the 15th time. His 65th birthday was a few days before the Bucky.

[​IMG]

Phil Terry, another Bucky Badger Enduro vet, and one of the nicest guys out there. His son, Brian, runs the AMA District 16 Hare Scramble series.
    [​IMG]

Bill Smage. You think riding on greasy mud is hard? Try it using only one arm. All of Bill's hand controls are on the left side. Bill is the uncle of Observed Trials Champion Patrick Smage.
    [​IMG]

Always good to see the ladies out roosting it, too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim Klas, who hopefully took some photos; his pics are always good. So this is the ironically crappy photo of the good photographer. I'm guessing that Jim was happy about his choice of mount for this ride (i.e.: Not the Beemer).
    [​IMG]

Dave Iverson airs it out. Dave is always there to help lay out the Ruff-e-Nuff enduro trail up at Pearson.
    [​IMG]

Sparky slides uphill:
    [​IMG]

Followed by Tony Baggadonuts (?? Not sure if that's him or someone else.)
    [​IMG]

LJ did his own thing all day. I think he likes mud.
    [​IMG]

Some of the MMC crew. We sure were happy to see the sun come out. The dogs are Crowbait's, Shannon and Hydrant.
    [​IMG]

A couple of generic photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch was at the Wisconsin River Sportsmen's Club. It seemed to work out well.[​IMG]

Back at the Legion Hall, Whitey Hellenbrand had hauled his old Rokon out of the shed and put it out on display. Whitey used to race enduros, on that bike and others. The rest of the sign says "33 years ago" The trophy on the left is from the 1976 Bucky Badger Enduro, First Place Open B Class. Whitey is also the guy who cooked supper for us at Legion Hall. Very cool.
    [​IMG]

And...Da Man himself. The mighty Crowbait. :clap
    Would you ride an event that this guy put on?
    Apparently so.
    [​IMG]

More 2009 Bucky photos can be found here: https://madwrench.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Bucky-2009/
  17. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    A couple more things: :D

When Crowbait builds trail, he does NOT f^ck around. He DOES have fun, however.
    <object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkyMDU1MTgxJms9dXZRckQmYT05OTk5ODkzX1BOS0dUJnU9bWFkd3JlbmNo" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkyMDU1MTgxJms9dXZRckQmYT05OTk5ODkzX1BOS0dUJnU9bWFkd3JlbmNo" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

His Dalmation, Hydrant, did not care for the NO DOGS policy at the lunch stop.
    <object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkyMDU2MDY3Jms9QWVkUEomYT05OTk5ODkzX1BOS0dUJnU9bWFkd3JlbmNo" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjkyMDU2MDY3Jms9QWVkUEomYT05OTk5ODkzX1BOS0dUJnU9bWFkd3JlbmNo" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
  18. MMMOTORCYCLE

MMMOTORCYCLE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics....a definite ride for next year, sorry I missed it.

KLASJM-this looks like it would have been a perfect ride for the TW200:D I just got the feeling back in my @** from the R4R. Lookin forward to your pics.

See ya at Leaf River....or maybe not if this rain keeps up. The Enduro was cancelled, I hope the DS ride isn't as well.

Mike
  19. FZ1 Matt

Oddometer:
  20. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supposedly the slipperiest substance known to man is wet ice on wet ice......I beg to differ. I have never been on anything as greasy as those hills. Hell, oil on a road race track has better traction!!

But dang I had fun and no flats this time! This ride will be a blast with drier weather.

Great properties to ride on, thanks to all the land owners!

Props to MMC for all their hard work and last minute adjustments to the route.