"The Bucky" dual sport - near Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by madwrench, Sep 23, 2009.

1. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank You to all the M m/c members, land owners and others that got this off the ground! It was a great event, and it really wasnt THAT muddy! at least not when you ride last bike before sweep:lol3 . I had a great time and as always got to see some real nice countryside, along with meeting some very nice folks I hadnt know before. lj
  2. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, not that muddy, but really damn slippery!
  3. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill (West Coast Hippie) Woodson. Bill flew in from Washington to ride with us (I loaned him a bike). Despite the distance, Bill is still a MMC club member and is the guy who taught us all how to do a dual-sport roll chart when we put on the first Big Woods nine years ago. At that time, Bill was the only one who had ever even been to a dual-sport event. This year he will ride the LA-Barstow-Vegas dual sport event for the 15th time. His 65th birthday was a few days before the Bucky.

[​IMG]

I get a lot of the credit for the Big Woods, But if it weren't for Bill there probably wouldnt be a dual sport in WI yet. He is the one that came to Wabeno on the first scouting weekend ( and every weekend from fathers day till the 21st of sept that year) helping set things up, because I had no idea what I was doing then. as if I do yet ( ha! beat you to the punch on that one Brian). Thank you Bill and the Madison m/c , because if some of you wouldnt have helped the big woods get up going and help set the bar up where it is. There are also about 600-700 really great guys and gals I would have never met, or gotten to ride with, and my life wouldnt be what it is today. very full of friends and greatful for it. lj
  4. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    I can't understand why Sue doesn't hate him. :rofl
  5. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    well today is our anniversary , the one day a year you can say you had enough and want out:deal , she re-upped for another year already this morning,when the florest showed up at work, so I guess she is just as nuts as I am to stay with me:clap .
  6. weggieman

weggieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! I'm sure there are many more to come. i'll toast you later this evening :1drink
  7. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Cool pics everyone! :thumb I really enjoyed the ride! The mud made a very interesting dynamic.:lol3 I am really happy I took the 2fiddy. It handled everything with relative ease.. The only thing it didn't like is the roost from Sparky's bike.. Holy cow!! It was like a wall 'o mud!!
    [​IMG]

Remeber these three words... Momentum, Momentum, Momentum!:lol3

Nice Job guys!! I look forward to next year!:thumb
  8. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The road route was perfect

Very nice photos Brian, Matt and Dan. I was busy trying to do the hills and I didn't have much time to use the camera. I also think the old BMW is generally more photogenic the the newer green Kawi

Brian, that photo of me on the 250 kinda answers why I had a harder time with the hills than the other KLX250s. . . What is the old saying :gerg . . . don't weigh more than the CC of the motor. . . 20 HP is probable best if you weigh under 200 LB

[​IMG]

This part of the state,
    the flat areas were farmed
    the hills were the woods​
  9. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

To me it seemed the route before lunch was less hilly than after lunch

BTW great lunch,
    wish I could of stayed for the supper, but I wanted to get home before the cold set in.​

[​IMG]
  10. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Lot of elevation changes in one ride

I liked the grass cycle track that we ran on

[​IMG]

Lot of nice single track​

[​IMG]
  11. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This above small hill was grease

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Early 50's Chevy pickup truck, restored worth about 5 G

Cost to restore this early Chevy pickum up truck - about 5 G

Seeing an early 50's Chevy pickup truck on the trail . . . Priceless​
  13. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I chatted with the farmer who owned this barn
    The farm was in the same family for one Century
    He was also one of the farmers who let use cross his land

Below, one of Wisconsin's famed round barns​

[​IMG]
  14. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode past a few churches . . .
    and one Jail​

[​IMG]
  15. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank Madison Motorcycle Club :clap
  16. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, as always, Klasjm.

Random thought:
    Assuming that the fallout from this event isn't too bad and we can continue to do it in the future, that makes three dual-sport venues in Wisconsin: Wabeno, West Bend, and Cross Plains.

So...how about the Driftless area over towards Prairie Du Chien or up by LaCrosse or such? Talk about elevation changes!! Even the paved sections would be a blast. Any clubs over that way? Step right up.....
  17. ffchick

ffchick FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer:
    On our way out we stopped and got gas (always try to give some business to the local venue). Anyway, a resident came back in the store after seeing us (he saw our bikes on the truck) and said he had seen a bunch of bikers and asked what we were doing. He thought it was pretty cool that the event was held there. So seems like at least one person was in favor of it being in there town. We had a great time and are looking forward to next years ride.
  18. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Kira, and also Klajm and everyone else who took a few minutes to talk to the landowners and any other local folks. From what I've seen over the years in Wabeno, and now see again at the Bucky, the best diplomacy occurs in the taverns, in the restaurants, at the gas stops, at the chili feed, and so on, when riders have their helmets off and simply strike up a conversation. :thumb
    As I was loading Carl J. into my truck (broken collar bone) the last thing he did before we drove off was say thanks the landowner!
  19. ffchick

ffchick FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer:
    How is Carl? We don't know him but heard someone broke their collar bone so hoping he's ok.
  20. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    He's OK! He was worried initially that it might be something that would require a hospital stay, and he had to fly out to L.A. yesterday morning for work. He's out there now, and says he's doing fine (although I can't imagine that it was a very comfortable flight:huh).