"The Bucky" dual sport - near Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by madwrench, Sep 23, 2009.

1. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    FZ1Matt and Klasjm: Is it OK that I put a couple of your photos on the Madison Motorcycle Club website? If so, THANKS!

I will go back and put credits on each photo, just haven't done that yet. If you don't want them there, just say the word and I'll pull 'em.
    (No, Jim, you did not give up all your rights when you joined the MMC. The hazing is a bitch, though...just a warning:lol3)

I put your pics HERE

Brian
  2. zora

zora the explora

Oddometer:
    "the ladies roosting it too" I think the ratio of me getting roosted as opposed to roosting was about 20 to 1 :D

This was only my seventh organized dual sport event, but by far my favorite. Hey- many thanks to the boys who helped push my butt up the sweet quarter mile mud slide. I wanted to thank you again in person at dinner, but because I did a little too much pre-Bucky celebrating on Friday night, I never made it back to the VFW after the ride for the post-Bucky celebration. Thanks again though!
  3. tsprings

tsprings T-bone

Oddometer:
    Unfortunatly I was just a spectator this year. Didn't get my stuff together in time to join in. I was very jealous watching everyone having so much fun. I grew up out in this area and spent many hours crusing these country roads. Great so see them incorporated in a dual sport ride.

I'm very anxious to do my first dual sport ride. I'm in for next year for sure...even if just to show everyone that John's old ATK is alive and well :D ...perhaps Wabeno and Kettle Moraine too. It was great to meet so many nice people out there last weekend, everyone with a smile on their face...or mud.

a few pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. FZ1 Matt

FZ1 Matt Better last than crashed

Oddometer:
    Sure! that's cool.

That was a real fun ride. The thing I regret about the ride is not taking more pics or thinking more about the pics I did take.

This was my first dual sport ride and I had enough of an adventure just trying to get the ride done on time! I would have never thought that I'd waste 20 minutes at a crack just trying to get up some stinking hill!
  5. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    I only really pulled out my camera when I got stuck, which was a shame. Glad Klaus got a shot of the '54 Chevy (only made that grille for a year, but could be an early '55). Beautiful colors in that old thing.

Lots of fun on the greasy hills. I was going to give Matt's bike a shot up this hill that I was at the top of, ready for pictures, and promptly crashed it with the gobbed-up mud on the tire. Anyways, nice finish to the hill with a stander:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/hawksideshow/redirvda/MVI_0454.flv">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/hawksideshow/redirvda/MVI_0452.flv">

The bigger, greasier hill.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/hawksideshow/redirvda/MVI_0516.flv">

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spin to win!
    [​IMG]

Lots of this on the hill. Actually watched about 8 bikes take the hill. 2 made it all the way up. The difference between the other 6 (and me) was how far they made it up before having to do The Walk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Theran,
    Nice pics! It was great to meet you at the ride. You definitely should bring LJ's old ATK up to Wabeno next spring, for a couple of reasons:

1) The wistful look on LJ's face will be priceless. It'll be like him seeing someone with his old girlfriend, when she looks hotter than ever. :huh
    2) There will be lots of people there who know exactly where to hook the tow strap to pull that bike! :lol3

BTW, re: the pics on this thread of the old Chevy pickup. That truck belongs to Speedy Pete (who did the MC duties after dinner). Someone asked me about the truck, and I told them it was Speedy's, and his wife Rachel, who happened to be standing nearby said, "WHAT?!"
    Oops.:D
  7. ffchick

ffchick FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer:
    LOL! Ooops ;) Who had the farm with the cool old fire engine? I'm a career firefighter/paramedic so had to stop and get a pic or two of this! I tried adding a picture but keeps telling me it failed???
  8. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    The pics I've loaded onto this thread were all done through my Smugmug photo site.
    I can't get pictures to load using the "attachment" tool either. I used to be able to do that, but recently it just says "failed", and I've been too impatient to figure out what's going on. Maybe someone will jump in here and clear it up for both of us.

The old fire engine was on Whitey Hellenbrands property (I believe). Whitey is the guy who cooked our supper and who had the old Rokon out in front of the Legion hall. I'm a little surprised I haven't seen any photos of that engine. By the way, that Rokon might possibly be resurrected for Whitey to ride the event next year - how cool would that be?
  9. ffchick

Oddometer:
    very cool! Ok I'm trying a link for an engine photo...(new to these blogs ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/ffkira/TheBuckyFireEngine#5397723236840634850
    or maybe it worked in the body??? :)

[​IMG]
  10. ffchick

Oddometer:
    ahhh figured it out....
    [​IMG]
  11. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    to quote Sam Kennison. "everytime you get a new girlfriend , do as much crazy and sick & shit as you can with her right away, that way the next poor bastard that gets her has to listen to." in a pitiful winey voice "Oh he was sooo bad, just a bastard, he made me touch this while rubbing that, and he stuck it here:evil and here:wink: and here,:eek1 oh and there too:huh ,, it was just awfull ,,just f'ing awfull and I'll never forget any of it, and I'll have to tell you about it everyday"!!!

sorry to break it to you Theran, that is one hard core wench you are riding, dont ever let her on top cause she will hurt you. :lol3 lj
  12. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

My, my. You do have a way with words, LJ.
  13. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:

You are more than welcome to use the photos. I used a couple of yours (with credits) on the KLX250s web site at which I did a Bucky ride report

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30711
  14. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally washed the bike off the other day. Actually started with a small garden trowel, scooping the dirt off. I found two earthworms living in all the dirt stuck to the skidplate. I think the state of Wisconsin must be 10 lbs lighter from all the dirt I brought home. :D
    Dan

[​IMG]
  15. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    This looks like it was a really good time. You have me thinking about getting a bigger dual purpose bike for the event next year (don't think the DT50 would cut it).
  16. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    Oh, I dunno -- a couple of guys attempted the LA-B-V dual sport ride on Honda 50s one year I was there. I don't think they made it (500 miles), but they gave it a shot!

General FYI: The MMC club meeting is coming up (Thursday night), so after that we'll know what we ended up with to give back to the community, and I'll post it here. This year it will be the Cross Plains American Legion folks, who are building a vet memorial. Next year it will be something else - we'll keep spreading it around to local causes and charities. So far (a week after the ride), there has been no real negative fall-out from the ride, and a fair bit of positive. The landowners are OK with us overall, and I don't think any of the townsfolk have complained too loudly about our taking over a few streets for while. Thank you to all the riders! :thumb
  17. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Looks like you MMC people did a great job on this. Looking forward to putting this on next years to do list.

Sure is nice to see more DS rides in Wisconsin :clap
  18. ffchick

Oddometer:
    did anyone do the organized trail ride the weekend after bucky?
  19. madwrench

madwrench Engulfed

Oddometer:
    I heard the trail ride had 40-something riders. They lucked out with perfect weather, so Dan was able to use a lot of the properties that we had to cut out of the Bucky. The trail ride is not a MMC event (although Dan is a club member and a good guy), and is kind of a touchy subject with some of the MMC club folks for several reasons, a big one being where the money goes (suffice it to say, it does not go back into the local community).
  20. ffchick

Oddometer:
    how does one go about getting a membership form for the MMC? There isn't one on the MMC site so I emailed the person listed on there over 2 weeks ago and never heard back??? We'd love to become members. Any help would be greatly appreciated.