The Canadian dollar at $0.75

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RumRunner, Jan 29, 2015.

1. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    That certainly looks like where we are heading. I am sure it is going to put a big dent in a lot of Farkle shopping for our bikes south of the border. I know retailers are already seeing new landed costs for items they source in the US.

I am also thinking that we will see lots of our US buddies heading up here this summer.

Thanks PetroLoonie

DW
  2. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I hadn't been paying attention to the exchange rate the past couple weeks. I was "thrilled" this afternoon when I saw that PayPal's exchange rate was $0.766988 :huh My US $50 ($40 + $10 shipping) purchase became CDN $65.19 So the great deal I got was reduced to an okay deal. Now a weeks wait to see if Customs reduces my pleasure even further.

I guess I should have bought tires and farkles before Christmas...
  3. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    I never did understand the whole "free trade" thing. Customs can be the bane of existence at times.
    whambamthankyoumam likes this.
  4. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    See you this summer, you hoser, eh?
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember going to Moto GP and WSB at Laguna Seca for years when the loonie was $.63us. Can't let geopolitical trends stop your trVelling. It will mean a life saving boom for local dealers who were always 50% more than down south, now they are just 20% more, not worth heading south now.
  6. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no duty on this stuff from Canada customs. It's GST.
  7. atarijedi

atarijedi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Free Trade primarily means no government restriction on what is traded, then it follows with no monetary restrictions on business to business transactions.

Tariffs are still levied on consumer to business transactions though. Unless the item is tariff free.
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    75cents of the dollar...

Well good thing my vacation time isnt tied to the loony because that is my most precious commodity.

CO for two weeks this summer and a few rides within the country as well.

At least fuel prices are down.
  9. canadian chris

canadian chris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like I picked the wrong time to buy a bike that needs expensive American farkles

[​IMG]
  10. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    I received a Touratech Canada free shipping voucher (promo code "motoshow2015" good until Mar.15) for orders over $100, at the recent Vancouver mc show, after a chat with the new owner (aprox. 1 1/2yrs) Dominque Lemaire.

Promptly placed an order for a set of Touratech pannier racks for my Ulysses, to mount the 41 litre Zegas panniers I formally used, on my departed 04 DL1000.

Dominque said the first thing he did after he purchased the Cdn Touratech franchise from the former owners, was address the stupidly high Cdn vs US pricing. I'd noted online some weeks / months earlier, that the pricey racks ($460 Cdn), were only $25 more on the Cdn site vs the US.

Would've preferred the Hepco Becker Junior 40 litre bags and rack system, I'd had in mind for this new to me Uly, but with the Cdn dollar tanking at present and already owning the Zega panniers, the alternative would've cost me dearly.

Anyways, I jumped on the deal, while there was still availability of the racks and before the sinking Cdn dollar, prompts price increases with Touratech Canada. :bueller

996DL
  11. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Just bought American cash in Kingston at 27% and she claims that was a bit of a deal!
  12. Pay Dirt

Pay Dirt panning the web

Oddometer:
    I was contemplating a big long response to Canada-Us exchange rate history and effects but decided to boil it all down to: I am Canadian, I have a motorcycle and I have gas money..... Happy, Happy!:D

PD
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it certainly can effect the 'deal factor' on merchandise but as far as travel south it's still a bargain. The bulk on my expenses when travelling south on the bike or RV is gas and food and even with the tough exchange now it's still cheaper.

Look forward to my first trip in May...
  14. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Been a very long time since I crossed Canada on a bike to go drink whatever is in my friend's fridges in QC.:1drink

I think I'll do that...at least one way if just for old time's sake and shorter time to get to their beer.:1drink And come back the long way through the US, 8,300 kms last time but maybe 10,000 this summer.:wink:

Good in a sense, forces consumers to buy in Canada I was looking at parts fiches and looks like Honda parts online Canada may be cheaper now than buying south. Don't know yet about BMW they just raised their prices down there......:eek1

Oh well....pay them Canadian taxes I wouldn't want Harper to run out of money for my retirement.:lol3
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Got my US FJR last year when our dollar was 95. Was gonna look at late 90's Class B rvs in the US this spring. But with our dollar at sub 80, finding something local is probably a better option.

Not much we can, and still gotta live life. Still planning a family trip south for a couple weeks. At least the gas is cheap..
  16. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    I have a US Visa card to save the additional $.02 Visa Canada charges on exchange. Payed my bill yesterday and Royal Bank charged me $1.29 CDN for a dollar US. :cry I'll be spending my summer holidays in BC this year.
  17. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see why the US and Canada don't have a common currency? And I certainly don't understand why we have border checkpoints? Why not a "North American Union"?

Perhaps I digress. So, is there an advantage for Americans who live near the border to buy a bike in Canada? Even with marginal import fees it seems like it would be a good deal?
  18. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    definitely going to tour as usual in the USA this summer. unleaded is currently 30-40 cents chepper per litre there than here right now....even if some savings are left by summer, at the pumps, it will be waY less per litre there than here in summer. and food and beverage? fuggettabattit
  19. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Merlin, your questions and suggestions are likely to get a few people's backs up. But a simple, Canadian answer would be "no thanks".

A good deal can be had on either side of the boarder, for the savvy shopper. But more often than not, Canadians buy material goods from Americans, and Americans vacation in Canada during the summer.
  20. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just sayin that there is no need for all the expense and hassle at the border and the money exchange games. You can keep your identy and I can keep mine. Most of my friends here in ME are originally from Canada or one generation removed so maybe my perception is skewed. The money dichotomy thing is is only a product of people manipulating markets and is total BS.