The Canadian dollar at $0.75

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RumRunner, Jan 29, 2015.

1. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dollar sucks for travelling across the border, no doubt. Makes me glad I bought my tractor last year!

The flip side is that this should lead to greater exports. SHOULD. I know the local Lobstermen have been having trouble shipping to the US becuase there aren't enough trucks available because the 'Muricans are buying everything that they pull from the water. We'll see if it continues.

Did you read some of the comments on the story? Apparently, its all Trudeau's fault.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not good....

I just sold my FJR that I bought in Mi a couple yrs ago. Our dollar was 94 cents and good deals were very plentiful. Now, not so much. Guys are down below talking about coming north and buying Africa Twins when they show up. Similar MSRP's in both countries.
    I was looking at some used Tenere's. Cheaper to buy a new 2015 here, then it would be to buy a used 2014 there.

Faaaack...

But I suppose, if not bike shopping or planning to travel south, it's less of an issue. I guess it could be good for business trading..

3. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    If the trend stays like this, we will be spending the summer in the pool again! No south of the border rides for us! Should have bought more US money when it was at par! Live and learn! Too bad I'll be dead by the time I figure this shit out! :lol3
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I am making a B-line from Plattsburg NY to Mexico. I dont stop for nothing but gas and 1.00$ (err 1.42$) burgers

:-)
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Be interesting to see what the pump price for gas was in 2003 when the loonie was last this low, what was the price per barrel in 03? Our local fuel price has finally dropped to 1.05 per liter, Cosco in Courtenay is 94.9... Seems to me it should be more like 0.70 per liter now, but I guess the profit taking for the oil companies is coming at the refinery level now...
  6. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    Mexico..... Tell me more! Do you believe you will survive the border crossing, if so where will you cross? Might be a plan.....:hmmmmm
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Oil was around 20 bucks a barrel, gas about .70. But ranged from about 66-92 depending on where you were.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-402-x/2010000/chap/ener/tbl/tbl03-eng.htm

8. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    A recent article in the FP alluded to the fact that the oil barrens are making it at the pump as opposed to the well head.

Bend over, how does that feel now. Still hurt, here, have some more.

DW

PS, Then there is that Air Canada "fuel surcharge" lol
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read an article recently that the "fuel surcharge" has now been rebranded as a "carrier surcharge".
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you guessed that the Federal/provincial $.60 / litre taxes [outside Metro Vancouver] at the pump, and the fact that most of the gasoline we burn in Southwest BC comes from Washington state refineries, which of course sell gasoline in U.S. dollars, you would correctly guess that it's not the oil companies making huge profits right now.
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    U.S. border town malls used to high spending Canadians will suffer the most. Followed by anyone in Canada who enjoys California/Florida produce and fruit at the local grocery store.
    As for travelling to the USA, on a bike, to me it's pretty well a wash. Gasoline is still $ .15- .25 a litre cheaper, hotels, always WAY more in Canada, are pretty well the same now. The street roads in the USA are 10 times better, and 10 times more plentiful than Canada. It's going to have to be $.60 before I start seriously thinking of NOT going down there. As mentioned before, we went to Laguna Seca all through those $.63-.67 years, the price you pay I think. Yeah it sucks, but thankfully I'm not one of the 160,000 people who've lost their jobs in Alberta, no chance of my job being affected by a low dollar. The quality of street riding in the USA is close to that of Northern Italy and Tyrolia, and it's 50% cheaper for a Canadian in the U.S. than Europe riding.
  12. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    My problem is that I have a DR 650 just crying for some upgrades. The carb and suspension upgrades are now on hold until a more favourable exchange rate. I might be waiting a while......
  14. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you Mercenary.

Yesterday I got a smoking-deal on new, never installed moto accessory from a guy in FL. New price US$230 + shipping, I bought it for US$100 + $50 for USPS delivery, $150 total. Great deal, right?

Paypal cost in Canadian pesos? $222

Ouch. Still a great price, but doesn't feel that way.
  15. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are some great Canoodian online retailers.... I've got to wonder if Twisted Throttle Canada, Dual Sport Plus or Canada's Motorcycle will keep their product lines somewhat competitive?

I'm glad I'm pretty well farkle out at the moment though...
  16. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mercenary....
    buy 'em now.
    peach
  17. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    The carb alone is over 650 dollars CAD. Too rich for my blood....
  18. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was some talk by our American friends earlier about buying things in Canada because of the currency difference.
    In a word, the best time to buy is NOW.
    Most of this stuff is not made in Canada. As a result, when it is removed from the dealer, it has to be replaced.
    The replacement item is bought from Europe or Asia or the US with the lower Can. dollar.
    There go your savings.
  19. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best friend lives in Cowtown. Asked him if the situation is THAT bad.
    4th BIG bust since the '80's.
    Free office space downtown if you keep the lights on, wow, 24 million ft2 of empty space.
    Suspect LOTS of great deals to be had with 2nd homes, rv's, boats, bikes going on the block.
    Time to spend if you're not in the oil patch.
    What a forecast 59 cents.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/macquarie-loonie-forecast-1.3401644
    whambamthankyoumam likes this.
  20. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Not loving the impact on investments either. Happily I have time to wait it out before I retire.