The Canadian dollar at $0.75

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RumRunner, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Can you show a chart of the US vs Aus for the last several yrs. For us we were at a 1.10 for US in 07 and began below in 08.
    In the 80- 90's til 2014.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    No admission price needed.... and no exchange rate..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the famous Meat Cove...
    [​IMG]

3. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    NS is my second favourite place in Canada, I love it. Too bad there's 7000 km of nothing between here and there. I've done the coast-to-coast road trip before, I know the nothingness very well. My next trip to the east will be by plane, I'm sure.

And make no mistake, the 100 roads in Nova Scotia may be nice but it's almost unfathomable how much there is to see and do on the west coast. I'm sure even old farts like Steve have only just scratched the surface.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Kinda like everything else on earth.
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

I can certainly understand your lack of knowledge where you reside, the heaven on earth that is California, Oregon, and Washington, for street and dirt biking, spitting distance from southern BC.
    I go where the best bang for my buck is. Even with a $.62 dollar, it's still riding the roads and small towns of the 3 western states.
    Ridden all of BC. Western Alberta. The prairies, most of Ontario, not on my radar, and don't need to see it. Quebec, well,,,,,,,no. Maritimes, love to ride them all, gonna have to put my bike on a truck cause I'm not riding 4500 miles to start really riding.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed, every ride south, I find new roads, seemingly better than the last ones.
    Riding northern California for 2 weeks this summer, Quincy, CA as a home base for 1 week, John Day, Or as home base #2. Hotels 1/2 price to Canada, gas 75%, food a wash, beer, a wash.
    dustin2 likes this.
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Steve, we've been through this before about the west and BC. I guess your alzheimer's hasn't caught up with you, or it must be in recession, good for you if so.

Enjoy the US riding and money spending.

Cheers bud, i'll end it here..
    RumRunner likes this.
  8. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stunning, I'll make it to Canada one day, thanks for the awesome shots :-)
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

LOL, we have been through this before. Only recession happening must be in Ontario, all good here.
    A few of us rode our bikes to Thursday coffee tonite, talk bikes. Nice out. Hope you didn't hurt your back shovelling snow.

West Coast U.S., probably second best riding on earth. $.68 dollar, just the price of admission, I'd rather east tenderloin than hamburger.
  10. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty happy to ride, here, there, anywhere. Haven't ridden everywhere in the world so can't say with any authority what I think are the best places to ride in my opinion.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I rode most of the roads on the east, rode many roads out west, and covered some here in the middle. Each have their draws and id say all pretty equal in the end.
    But this is about our dollar and with its exchange right now, I'm not spending it south.

12. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    The point Steve was making is that even though we lose 45% on the exchange, everything is 45% cheaper anyway, making it pretty much a wash. It's a small price to pay to ride twisty heaven in glorious weather.

I'm headed to YVR right now to spend my CAD in SoCal for a few days--my annual winter escape. It'll be 25° for my whole stay and well worth the exchange rate.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I understand what he's saying. But for me, if it's the same cost or as you say " a wash", which I also agree with, I'll stay in Canada.

If our dollar is at say 91, then I'll make the trek to get the most for my money. As for roads, there's great twisty roads here and on the east coast and I'l not willing to pay the "small price" to travel to the US. I'd rather travel around the Muskoka's for a local beer and burger, or travel to Lunenburg for a lobster, or NFLD for cod tongues.

MGV8 and dustin2 like this.
  14. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dustin2 "7000kms of nothing between here and there" :rofl
    Try the Tcat....
    But I do know what you mean,..having Ridden and driven across our great country numerous times.
    I also really like Riding the Pacific northwest US, Mt Ranier, mt St Helens, down to Astoria, etc... But with a $ .69 dollar, no thanks!
    I will pick and chose better times of year to ride some of my old Local favorite routes, ie: off season with less traffic!
    The real kicker with our low dollar is Buying Parts! Most of the fancy, shiny stuff I "need" comes from the states and is scary expensive with the exchange.
    dustin2 likes this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not count on 25C in SoCal I just got home last week and the highest it got in LA for the 3 weeks I was there was 17C El Nino is alive!
  16. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    Cast it into bullets and shoot your food.
  17. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)

:)
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time for a Limbo Pool?

How low can (will) it go
    jfman likes this.
  19. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Say you go on vacation to the US and you spend 2000$ US in 2 weeks

2000 US Dollar equals
    2907.20 Canadian Dollar
  20. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Since it is a fiat money (not backed by anything tangible), it can disappear at a moments notice. It is headed that way right now. Global trade has stalled (there is not a single transcontinental container ship under way right now), it is only a matter of time before we feel the effects.

But don't worry, the bankers and politicians will help us. Just like they did in the previous Great Depression...

EDIT: Found a different site for tracking ships and there are a few underway. Only a few. Most container ships are clustered near ports.