1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

The Canadian dollar at $0.75

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RumRunner, Jan 29, 2015.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Big ST gathering is in Colorado this year. I am still kinda planing on going as I try to go every year, plus I could circle back through Utah. I haven't seen much of Utah. Depends on how rich I feel this summer. I also tend to disagree with Steve, when I travel state side, sure gas is cheaper but I've never found the motels much cheaper or the food. Of course a lot of my travel is two up so Mrs. B likes a little more up scale place to rest her head. When I go by myself, I camp and eat cheap. I still seem to spend a bunch.
    With so many BC back roads I haven't seen I think I will stick to Canada this year. Better bang for the buck when you have limited time
  2. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    Cheap fuel means it is still a good time to ride in the US if you rough it (no hotels and no fancy restaurants)

Last July I went to Colorado for 2 weeks to ride the trails and spent around 12-1300 US on the whole trip.

If I had done the TCAT instead, Trans Taiga or gone to Anticosti (other options I had) I would have spent more.
  3. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    You better go. I seem to remember owing you a beer or two from a great deal on the ST1100 wheels.
    MGV8 likes this.
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  5. Rizzman

Rizzman n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm heading down the coastal highway in the end of May or beginning of June. Heading out to Van to visit a friend, then to OR to visit my sister's family. Then all the way south along the coast. Pick up a friend in Pacifica with his new Multistrada and continue down the coast. We thought about MX but I'm not sure it's in the cards this year. It will probably be down to San Diego and then back up through Yosemite before heading back to Pacifica to chill out for another day. Then back home the same way I came I think.
    It won't be a "cheap" vacation but I need it. I'll be camping and cooking my own meals (if you can call what I do cooking), as much as possible. I don't have a budget as yet but I should probably make one. Probably about 8,000 kms return. If we head to Cabo, it will be more.
    dustin2 likes this.
  6. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I just got back from SoCal and paid $0.67 on the dollar with my credit card. I wonder how much worse it'll get :)
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Million dollar question.....but I think a little worse maybe .63:(:
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Expect it to test the current low from the Cretien years, around $.615. Iran goes back online in a couple months, the glut in oil, coupled with vastly reduced consumption, means oil should go below $25 a barrel, Brent, and WTI pricing.,
  9. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    It will take some time to diversify our economy and ramp up manufacturing before we'll see the dollar rebound. Right now it's too closely tied to the price of oil to do anything but drop. Lumber is doing well and I suspect auto manufacturers might be looking north again to take advantage of our cheaper labour costs and open up a few manufacturing lines in their auto plants.

It's sure a bad time to be in the oil business.
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The price of oil has been artificially propped high for years , I'm surprised it took as long as it did for the bubble to burst... It's too bad there was no foresight and measures put in place to help absorb the impact when it crashed in the form of a rainy day fund..
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our currency would have to drop to $.50 or less for any car manufacturer to consider Ontario as a viable option over Mexico. Union wages in Ontario mean car manufacture is on a fragile life line. You think $7.50 for a head of couliflower is expensive?
    We've got to ride the next 2 years out, and we simply must sell our oil to other countries besides USA. Resource selling is all we've got.
  12. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Going to spend a lot more time in Canada this riding season. Spending money in Canada is a good thing!
  13. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    there is still a huge market for oil in the eastern provinces, Canada spends 26 billion in imports to feed refineries out east. why the fuck can't we build a pipeline from the oil rich provinces to get that oil out east instead of importing? I'm sure that savings would be a substantial shot in the arm to the country's economy.
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a very good idea, mainly to reduce the importation of foreign oil. But we need external investment into the country, in the form of outside purchase of resources, and/or companies investing or in fact, placing themselves here so our government can collect taxes, royalties, etc. . Maybe if we ran a pipeline to the east coast to distribute east coast needs, and shipping product east from there. We have to do this.
  15. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    one would certainly expect a lot more US investment in Canadian oil extraction/production with the exchange the way it is. the Liberal gov't as well as the new NDP overlords here in Alberta are sketching out possible investors with their proposed carbon taxes and royalty reviews. I doubt the northern gateway pipeline will happen, we will be still trying to export oil via truck and rail. we sure can't count on the US to help us out in that regards, they can produce oil far cheaper than we can.

[​IMG]
  16. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    http://action.energyeastpipeline.com/?gclid=CI--yK34usoCFcMRHwodZzMNjw
  17. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the upside in my personal situation I know what I save at the pump in ONE fill up buys me months of cauliflower.
  18. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    that's nice and all, and I've already signed....but as long as Ontario and Quebec oppose the pipeline it will not happen. I sincerely wonder about your end of our great country. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...e-warn-of-environmental-risk/article28309715/

fuck bombardier. let that sinking ship go down like it should have years ago instead of wasting taxpayer dollars trying to keep it afloat.
    Steve G. likes this.
  19. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    b b b but it's in Kebec
    Steve G. likes this.
  20. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    But they "employ" so many... Unproductive unskilled unionized labourers. Can you imagine the burden to society and social services when all these people are unemployed and not paying taxes? It might cost millions before they run out of benefits and get another job. As compared to the millions it costs Canada every few years to bail out Bombardier.
    whambamthankyoumam and Steve G. like this.