The CLUNK gremlin...

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by BuffHunter, Sep 6, 2015.

?

Does your 1290SA clunk when topping out or crossing speed bumps? Check all that apply.

1. Yes; when topping out.

68 vote(s)
    42.8%
  2. Yes; when crossing speed bumps.

91 vote(s)
    57.2%
  3. No; Clunk? What's a clunk?

40 vote(s)
    25.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BuffHunter

BuffHunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do they really ALL do that?

KTM Customer Care number 1-855-215-6360,
    Leave your VIN and name or it does not count.
    jrc58, MUDHWY and Rob barnes like this.
  2. NewToMe

NewToMe safety 3rd

Oddometer:
    Only when the steering head bearing is not snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AlexHawnPhoto likes this.
  3. Sparc145

Sparc145 '14 1190 ADV

Oddometer:
    What he said.
    AlexHawnPhoto likes this.
  4. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 1290 continues to transfer a metallic clunk (topping out) and I have adjusted the head bearing twice, 11500 km and its done it since new.
  5. Latebraking

Latebraking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My service department has run the gauntlet three times while trying to address / fix this clunk issue. Steering head bearing tension, remove & hang upside down the forks overnight, ECU / software checks, and KTM even overnighted a set of forks they said were tested to be 'in proper working order'. No change, as 'the clunk' is still there. One other thing I also noticed is that 'the clunk' all but disappears when the 'offroad' damping selection is activated. It is all documented in their maintenance system. In the meantime, while I don't hold my breath while waiting for a solution, I ride. "Clunkily"......
  6. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps on the side but I have a clunky front end on my 1190r as well. I've traced it to come from the floating brake-discs...

Al
  7. Latebraking

Oddometer:
    Mine definitely has nothing to do with brake discs.
  8. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    Ditto, sounds like the damping mechanism has vertical clearance inside the tube.
  9. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aha, clearly different from mine then.
    Best of luck to all of you with solving an annoying issue!:baldy

Al
  10. Korndogg

Korndogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear it on mine, but I'd say it's pretty rare. Not something I'm hearing all the time. Damping mode seems to make a difference too. I'm often in Comfort but many have reported it's more pronounced with other settings.

I'm most likely to hear it if I'm on a curb and ride off. I think I hear it as the suspension maxes out. Lifting the front wheel doesn't have the same effect though - strange.
  11. IgorBorisenko

IgorBorisenko adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a 1290 for test ride. It surely did clicking sound from the forks. Looks like an active suspension feature =)
  12. Cactusbasher

Cactusbasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer adjusted my head bearing yesterday, but now it's WAY too tight. Is this a user-adjustable deal and if so, is it as simple as removing the big nut on the top of the triple clamp then loosening the stearing head nut?
  13. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    Yahoo!

KTM NA just called me back. He says they have a fix - replacing the right side rebound cartridge.
    They got the fix from Austria, and are testing it on 2 NA customer bikes right now. If the fix seems reliable there, they'll call me back and arrange the warranty work. Fingers crossed!

My bike has already had the steering stem bearing tightened and the front rim straightened, so I guess they figure I'm another good test case.
    Toy hauler likes this.
  14. sflash868

sflash868 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah last time I spoke to KTM NA about the clunk in the forks that results form the forks topping out, they said it's something that all the bikes do (referencing 1290s) and is part of the active suspension design. I was told they were working on a fix and would issue a "service bulletin". Like the issue with the fuel sensor.. even though the part is defective, they aren't going to email you to bring the bike in and change it. Mine crapped out at 2K miles and only then was I told there was an updated part. Some people seem to not notice the clunk or aren't riding in a manner that causes the forks to exhibit the issue so I imagine only a hand full of bikes would get a rebound cartridge if that was the fix. I sure as shit notice it though..
  15. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and my fuel gauge is currently stuck at a FULL.
  16. airwater

airwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
  17. Latebraking

Oddometer:
    I think mine is the other getting this part in NA, then. My bike is going in to the shop on Tuesday, so Wednesday, I will know if it's a fix, or not. KTM would not give any details on how it is different, only that its a 2016 part.
  18. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    Yep, the 2016 detailed parts list shows new tubes in both sides of the forks, but they seem to be trying to cheap out the warranty fix by replacing one. If it fixes the apparent problem I guess I'll be happy, but I can't help but wonder how much better it'd be with both new parts installed. Going by history their willingness to put one in under warranty is outside the norm.
  19. Latebraking

Oddometer:
    It makes sense to do it this way, since the rebound stroke is where the problem is. If it fixes the problem, then I'm happy. If not, then we keep trying to find the source of the issue.
  20. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please let me know when you know something.
    joaquinrichter@gmail.com
    BuffHunter likes this.