The CLUNK gremlin...

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by BuffHunter, Sep 6, 2015.

?

Does your 1290SA clunk when topping out or crossing speed bumps? Check all that apply.

1. Yes; when topping out.

69 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Yes; when crossing speed bumps.

93 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. No; Clunk? What's a clunk?

43 vote(s)
    26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Whiteyez

Whiteyez Motowanderlust

Oddometer:
    We are waiting a reply from KTM... :dirtdog
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  2. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Supposed to have been new internals since 2016 and this isn't even the same bike as the SA
  3. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but the 2016/2017 bikes have the same suspension (SAS & SAT) and virtually the same as the 2015 bikes apart from a right cartridge with maybe more oil but exactly the same mechanicals.
  4. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    My point is there just shouldn't be any way an original 2015 SA part could find its way into a 2017 bike. They aren't the same part number. Basically if it was an old original part it was deliberate.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  5. Whiteyez

Whiteyez Motowanderlust

Oddometer:
    Well, clunk is still there and KTM officialy doesn't recognize it anymore as a problem (even though it did 3 times before).

Here is the email that they send me:

"We are happy to see that our customers are using their KTM Adventure motorcycles for the scope they are designed for, like you do.
    The issue you are experiencing with your motorcycle is not really a Problem. As we have discussed with KTM R&D mechanics, the "clicking Feeling" of the front Suspension in low Speed small size bumps is completely normal.
    This occures after the first few kms, as the front fork is addapting to the everyday use. Internal parts of the fork have a very small amount of Play that lets the Suspension work as it should.
    So, we consider this effect 100% normal.
    As Mr ------- already explained to you, this is not a Problem, but part of the Standard function of the fork.
    There is no way that this hase any effect in the safety of your motorcycle."

KTM SOUTH EAST EUROPE SA
  6. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new 1290SAS has done this since my first ride and luckly I know of this from YEARS of threads on it here at Advrider... like the shuddering front brakes that will happen soon enough as they still using the same rotors as my 2013 1190 and ok/Nok airbox, same airbox as my 2013 1190 bar one change....yet I still bought the SAS and loving it.

Rottie intake in already, Scott damper on it's way to sort the now poor excuse for a damper being used...think from 2013 they would upscale the damper at least...and thinking of wave rotors to replace stock......KTM makes biking fun,expensive if you want it to be but fun...must note thou, since 2013 not one of these has caused me to have a breakdown or stranded me...and the old girl is still going strong.

I have more fun on these bikes than my 1299S race bike or any other race/road bike I have owned in 28yrs....don't get hung up on this old issue, ignore it...fix it or sell the bike and get another to enjoy the ride.

Life is to short to....imho
  7. Whiteyez

Whiteyez Motowanderlust

Oddometer:
    Finally, i find out the clicking sound from the suspension that was normal for KTM (even they didn't know from where it was coming).

SLIDING BUSHINGS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Add some good quality grease to the inside of the upper sliding bushing, and done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done about 2000km with no clicking sounds.
  8. ArferBrick

ArferBrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, great detective work Whiteyez.

<sarcasm_section>
    Isn't it great to be an unpaid quality and functionality tester for a huge worldwide multi-million dollar vehicle manufacturing company? The satisfaction we get for wasting our time and money solving the problems they create is reward enough!
    </sarcasm_section>

Any idea why that bearing is "sliding" in the first place? Does it actually need to be sliding or can it be fixed tight and still perform it's intended job?
  9. Whiteyez

Whiteyez Motowanderlust

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, you are right! Most of us we are testers!

You misunderstood these metal rings called "sliding bushings", i don't know if this little play that they have is normal or a design flaw of the fork (i don't think that is the sliding bushings cause i changed them with a new set.)
  10. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if you guys might be confusing two separate issues for the same thing.

The original "clunk" was in 2015 (and I believe some 2016) 1290SAT's in which the damping cartridge was topping out over smaller bumps, and caused an EXTREMELY noticeable clunking through the bars at low speeds. The original damping cartridges were not "shimmed" enough on the top, so they were replaced by a newer revision of the damping cartridge.

I had this work done on my 2015 1290SAT and the replacement cartridge completely fixed my clunk.
    Whiteyez likes this.
  11. Whiteyez

Whiteyez Motowanderlust

Oddometer:
    Probably is different thing yes.
  12. BigfootMex

BigfootMex n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum, I own a 2015 1290 SAT and of course I too have that damn clunk. I guess my bike is well out of warranty, so if you could please tell me where to buy the internal cartridge the cheapest way? I can't find it any lower than us$650 but is still a lot.
    any help would be really appreciated.
    thanks a lot.
  13. EUBikeDude

EUBikeDude All weather biker

Oddometer:
    Try asking for Good Will as it's a known issue maybe?
  14. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Unlikely ... But if you don't ask you don't get
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  15. Mark_McKinlay

Mark_McKinlay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was never a warranty or a recall. Some people got theirs changed because they made enough noise. Chances of it getting it changed now are slim. I doubt a dealer will care about a 5 year old second hand bike.
  16. BigfootMex

BigfootMex n00b

Oddometer:
    I thought it did became a recall. any way I know it's a long shot. that is why I'm trying to find it by my self to buy it but is crazy expensive...
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  17. Bluesilver

Bluesilver Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM is lets say is a very fluid brand when it comes to admitting anything. Starter motors never recalled but done by some dealers..airboxes failed and motors popped, some bikes where replaced others just sold them, SAT front end clunk since 2015 carried over to the SAS...some dealers replaced them, KTM would not....my dealer did mine.

Best time you can force a change is from new, after that you on your own.

I have a 2012 KTM300, they had faulty starters from day one, shit design, guys made plans with making them "wet" and some aftermarket guys sold wet conversion kits, years later KTM sell you an "upgrade" with a new bendix, uprated starter and crown gear to change the gearing....end result is, KTM pushed to fast into the market which they still do and you will pay to fix their shit unless you hammer them from new and then only dealers will help you.