1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The CLUNK gremlin...

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by BuffHunter, Sep 6, 2015.

?

Does your 1290SA clunk when topping out or crossing speed bumps? Check all that apply.

1. Yes; when topping out.

69 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Yes; when crossing speed bumps.

93 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. No; Clunk? What's a clunk?

43 vote(s)
    26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much
  2. airwater

airwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious if anyone who is also getting the high speed wobble is also noticing the bike pulling to the right at more moderate speeds when hands not stabilising the bars? I have both and cannot see how they cannot be connected.
  3. PLO231

PLO231 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the high speed wobble. Installing a new Hyperpro steering damper cured/masked the wobble.
    Bartimus likes this.
  4. G.v.G

G.v.G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buffhunter; was there also a software update when they changed the cartridge, since apperently there will be a software update in combination with a new frontfork with new "dampingvalves" for the 2017 models? Here is a German motormagazine which has an item about it on page 6: https://www.united-kiosk.de/lesepro...nr=2103118&number=3&year=2016&id=0001&lang=de Unfortunately only in german....

Also there will be a new sidecaseholder à la Triumph for a better highspeedstability for the 2017 models.......
  5. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Interested to hear but I can't imagine any software update slated for '17 MY bikes would be available now.
  6. G.v.G

G.v.G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The article says both changes (renewed internals frontfork with software update and the new "connected" sidecaseholder) will be available from may this year also for our 2015 models, price unknown for now.
  7. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. BuffHunter

BuffHunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know any more than the receipt says. At Fay Myers they never let you see the tech or the shop. I tried to talk to them about setting the preload, but it was hopeless. Blank stare on the writer's face. He did not bother to pretend to write it down on the ticket.
  9. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BuffHunter, PLEASE, you can take another picture to the sheet workshop where I can see the name of the dealer ?
    It is very important to reclaim in KTM Spain.
    joaquinrichter@gmail.com
    Thank you very much again.
  10. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    41psi tire pressure? Is that for the front? Is this what KTM is recommending along with the fork internals and heavier fork oil?
  11. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    fork_warranty2.jpg
    Here's a copy of the whole page. Is that enough? Let us know how it goes.
  12. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea. I saw that, but the tpms is still saying 34 PSI, just as it did when I turned in in. Probably a CYA thing for lawyers, just to indicate they did a safety check. This is a LARGE dealership.

I have no stability issues now or ever since they trued the front wheel and set the stem bearing preload. 126 MPH GPS with Jesse 10" Odyssey side bags and 45L trunk, with no issues. Front wheel was at 34 PSI cold at that time, rear at 39 PSI, stock CA2 tires.
    MUDHWY likes this.
  13. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    OK...thanks for clarifying!
    BuffHunter likes this.
  14. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    I can say with certainty that there is now no discernable clunk when topping out or when crossing speed bumps. Feels really planted on the road, but no real canyon carving for another few months due to the sand on the roads here.

Of course, I could head for Baja in April....
  15. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Europe there is someone you have achieved that change the right cartridge under warranty ? ??
    It´s very important.
  16. Veteran1

Veteran1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously there is a design tolerance out on the cartridge. Surely a washer or seal or bump stop etc will fix the clunk? If ktm doesn't want to replace, maybe someone can figure out what mod to carry out to sort clunk. They are being very sleazy about replacing mine . I can imagine this fix is going to cost them millions so would rather avoiding replacing where they can. if they refuse to replace mine I'm going to take it out and figure it out myself. Not that it's something new to me. Had to straighten my own factory wobbly rims. Tighten neck bearings. Seal leaky air box. And do a multitude of mods not to roast my testicles on my R. It's a KTM after all. Not for everyone.
  17. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think is the weight of the exhaust pipe. BMW R1200GS LC and Triumph Tiger 800 also to the right.
    airwater likes this.
  18. G.v.G

G.v.G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    if the present story is a fix for the clunck, KTM better fix our bikes pronto as a warranty repair - I'm not even contemplating patching their design flaws
  20. Veteran1

Veteran1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree Bundu , but they expect me to put bike on a transporter and send it to HQ , 1500km away, where they will decide where how and if they will fix it. What's the chance of a 3000km round trip returning the bike how I gave it. " it's 2 months old btw.And there is a perfectly qualified ktm dealer on my doorstep which they say is not allowed to replace or fix the fork ! To me that's a tad odd. I get the feeling they don't want to start a wildfire where all 1290 owners demand new rhs fork cartridges. Making it difficult will quell this danger.
    Or it could just be the conspirator theorist in me, haha.