The CLUNK gremlin...

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by BuffHunter, Sep 6, 2015.

?

Does your 1290SA clunk when topping out or crossing speed bumps? Check all that apply.

1. Yes; when topping out.

68 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Yes; when crossing speed bumps.

92 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. No; Clunk? What's a clunk?

40 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    Am I correct in assuming that at this stage, only Buffhunter and Latebraking on ADVRider have had the repair done, in the USA and under warranty?
  2. BuffHunter

BuffHunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I was told I was third by KTM NA, but I don't know who the other one is.
  3. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    thanks Buffhunter! I'm in Africa, so these things take a bit of time and convincing to get into dealers skulls normally and numbers count:-)
    BuffHunter likes this.
  4. PLO231

PLO231 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bike is going in this week for the front fork clunk, suspension preload set up, and fuel quantity stuck on full. My expectation is that I will get the call to pick up the bike after nothing has been done to it because, 1: there is no clunk, 2: we cannot adjust preload, 3: the fuel qty is reading normal now. I can't wait to get that phone call....
  5. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    well then you need to wear your arse-kicking boots - seems like we need to get KTM to respect our love for the bikes
  6. PLO231

PLO231 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As always, I prepare myself for the worst. Maybe I am being overly negative with my expectations. I'll report back here and let you all know how it goes.
    BuffHunter likes this.
  7. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    if your bike has a problem or noise that other bikes don't have, your dealer/KTM needs to make a plan, simple as that in my book - good luck and we'll wait for your response
  8. PLO231

PLO231 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This would be the second time I've had it in for both the front end clunk and fuel gauge. Both of there issues were noted during my first service visit. The fix on the clunk was to torque the steering bearing, that did nothing. The fuel gauge was noted and parts were going to be ordered when they are available but I never got a call back or checked in on it until now.
    BuffHunter likes this.
  9. G.v.G

G.v.G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BuffHunter: So if I understand it correctly, not only your "clunk" has gone, but you also did get a better responding/smoother frontfork suspension as well by changing that cartridge?

Can you also feel any difference in responsiveness/smoothness of the frontfork in fast corners?
  10. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    And also
    Painted white lines on tarmac (see image)
    How was that before and after?
    Did you also get a suspension software update?
    [​IMG]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
  11. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    I do not know if I got a software update. It was not listed on the work order, so I doubt it.

The best way I can describe the suspension now is that I never had a negative thought about it in 500 miles of typical Colorado back roads last Saturday. In fact I seldom thought about it on the road. Prior to the replacement I cursed the suspension on every spirited ride. The bike used to feel like it was squirming under me like a nervous horse, so that I did not feel stable on our undulating, uneven roads. The fact that the suspension never intruded on my ride is high praise in my book.

I think the suspension I have now is the one they intended to build from the beginning. I am happy with it.

EDIT: I have a $2k Wilbers suspension on my FJR1300AS, and I consider the new performance of my 1290SA equal to that. That is pretty high praise in my book.

I avoid riding on painted lines, and the roads I was on did not have much paint to begin with, so I can't answer that question.

Totsiens, my armed friend!
  12. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I need it!!
    I wonder who is the first in Europe to have their bike made CLUNK free

I get the Tot Siens,
    But not my armed friend?

13. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    I thought Bundu was short for Bunduki, which I was told meant "gun" on a hunting trip to Tanzania.

My language skills are poorer than most, though, so I probably have it wrong.
  14. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am British (UK)
    But have lived in The Netherlands for the past 38 years
    And had a 1200gs for 9 years before I purchased the 1290sa
    Hence the nick GsUk but that was not available on this forum so I chose GsUks

Tot Siens
    Doei

b-lock, SURFINASPHALT and BuffHunter like this.
  15. G.v.G

G.v.G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell, I'm quite jealous about the improvement and results on your front suspension :evil I've exactly the same complaint about the harshness of my frontfork as you had, which is the biggest negative about my bike if I may say so (together with the high speed instability).

I'm going to talk about it with my dealer soon, and hopefully it's a warranty thing.
  16. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to mention that the issue is affecting the stability of the bike on the road. Stability issues seem to get their attention.
    SURFINASPHALT likes this.
  17. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is the high speed stability buy the way?
    Before and after the Mod
    With and without cases?

18. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    due to the fact you have a KTM I thought your nick meant: "GS sucks"
  19. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    It did cross my mind that some people would think that!!
    My Gs did not suck
    BMW and a certain dealer did though
    And that why I moved over to the Orange side, my only regret I should have done years ago

20. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    I run 10" Jesse Odyssey sidecases and the 45L Jesse top case. I've never had a high-speed wobble issue up to 126 MPH (GPS) either before or after the fork repair.

The stability I was mentioning was when cornering on anything but a perfectly smooth road. Prior to the fix the suspension adjustments destabilized the bike. Now it is planted even on undulating roads.
    SURFINASPHALT and R-dubb like this.