1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The CLUNK gremlin...

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by BuffHunter, Sep 6, 2015.

?

Does your 1290SA clunk when topping out or crossing speed bumps? Check all that apply.

1. Yes; when topping out.

69 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Yes; when crossing speed bumps.

93 vote(s)
    56.7%
  3. No; Clunk? What's a clunk?

43 vote(s)
    26.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for that
    I suspect the jesse's are pretty rigid on the mounting frames and parcel rack on the back?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
  2. BuffHunter

BuffHunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Extremely rigid.
  3. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is very very important to get someone who has repaired the clunk under warranty in Europe to reclaim .
  4. myblubeemer

myblubeemer MOA, IBA Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

I am taking mine in again today for the clunk issue. The first time they said it was the steering head bearing, but that did not stop the problem...so I decided to live with it. When I saw the recent posts that KTM NA did acknowledge and fix the issue, I sent my dealer a copy of the warranty repair receipt posted earlier and told him that I would like to get the same done as the clunk has never gone away on mine. I got a call back the other day from the dealer saying that they had heard back from KTM NA and my problem was most likely the stearing head bearing and not the cartridge since I had told them that the clunk is there in all ride modes. I mostly ride in Street or Sport. Has anyone else been told that if the clunk happens in all ride modes that the cartridge is not the problem?? KTM obviously knows there is a problem, but getting them to address it looks like it is going to be on a case by case basis based on how your dealer sticks up for you!
  5. PLO231

PLO231 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What dealer do you use? Mine is at Cycle Center of Denton for the front end clunk now.

I got the same steering head bearing response the first time it went in during the first 600 mile service and it never went away. If I get that response again, I plan on riding over a little bump in the dealer lot and giving the keys right back to them after it clunks again.

As BuffHunter said, at speed in a turn that clunks makes the bike feel unstable.
  6. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    If your dealer says they can do nothing to fix it, ask them for the KTM-NA customer service representative's number. Then call that number, leave a message with your problem description, name and VIN number. (The message will be ignored if there is no VIN.) After I did that they called me back within 3 days - but it was months later before they got the fix. Also, when they give you your rep's name, keep the info and call him every 2 weeks until they get a fix. I do think that they depend on their tech's evaluation and ignore your own. I think my unwillingness to shut up about this issue had something to do with getting it fixed - but unless the tech had confirmed there was a clunk I think I'd never have heard from them no matter what I did.

KTM Customer Care number 1-855-215-6360
    PLO231 and SURFINASPHALT like this.
  7. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Spain 1 dealer has changed the right cartridge fork.
    But not in guarantee of KTM Spain.
    For now it is a guarantee of a dealership.
    There are good and horrible dealerships.
    After certain that the dealer will fight with KTM Spain.
    KTM SPAIN IS HORRIBLE.
  8. myblubeemer

myblubeemer MOA, IBA Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

My dealer visit this morning did the trick. The tech rode the bike and confirmed that the issue was the fork cartridge and not the steering head bearings. They said they would pursue with KTM NA but it may be good for me to also call. This afternoon, right after I had called and left a message on the customer service number (the one posted above), I got a call from the dealer saying that KTM NA had already approved it and the cartridge was on the way! It appears that KTM NA is requiring each dealer to ensure that the steering head bearings are in spec and then test ride to determine if the issue still exists. My dealer said that KTM NA would do nothing until they had confirmed the issue.
    BuffHunter and SURFINASPHALT like this.
  9. PLO231

PLO231 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. That is great news. What DFW area KTM dealer are you using?
  10. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    It is really weird how KTM support changes with region/country. KTM EU posted an alert to dealers to watch the rear shock for leaks, and support repair under warranty if it happens. Here in the US and Canada each owner has to prove the problem individually and fight for a warranty repair.

Similar issues with airbox failures: Australia gets warranty UNI filters and gaskets, and USA has to buy their own. As if dust only exists in Oz!

KTM seems to be clueless that these forums make ours a small world. Their customers in other countries see the arbitrary variation in support on these forums, yet KTM fails to apply even and fair policies around the world. Here in Colorado the support seems to vary by dealer - smaller volume dealers seem to have a tougher time proving a warranty claim than big ones. KTM can only do this so long before they lose sales to brands that do recalls and support their products, especially on their flagship products.
    gsuks likes this.
  11. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    The 2016 cartridge replacement pieces are back-ordered until at least 3/9/16 in NA.
  12. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can to explain a little better ???
    I do not understand your sentence because my English is very bad.
    Thank you.
    SURFINASPHALT likes this.
  13. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    He means that in the USA
    The 2016 cartridge is not available till 9th March 2016

14. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Simple Math

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Sort of gives the impression that more owners than we may have initially believed are getting this work done.
  15. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a Query
    Might have missed it?
    Did the clunk happen in every suspension mode?

16. BuffHunter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it did, but it was most prevalent in comfort mode. There seemed to be specific points in the suspension stroke where the clunk happened, so the softer modes - comfort and off road had the most clunking going on. But when actually off road the rough surface masked the effects of the clunk. I liked the suspension performance off road even before the fix.
  17. sflash868

sflash868 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty similar to what everyone else has said but i"ll contribute the feedback I got from my dealer. I noticed the clunk within 5 miles of buying the bike. Brought it back and it's been a long story with KTM since then. As of now, my dealer ordered the cartridge and will perform the work under warranty but I had to initiate the process from info gained on this site. Currently in the US there is NOT a service bulletin on the fork clunk for the 1290. According to KTM they are testing out the new cartridge on a number of customer bikes and will go from there but don't get mad at your dealer as there has been no communication to them from KTM on this issue (or so I'm told) thus far. So i guess you can get their first attempt at a fix now if you call them up with the part number and complain or just wait a little longer and see what the final solution is? We'll see how it works when the parts arrived. I'm located in San Francisco.
  18. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    thanks for the feedback sflash868 - my concern is just that KTM are not exactly known for their speedy reaction to general complaints - as an example the 1190 airbox issues
  19. jrc58

jrc58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Spain KTM has a very bad reputation for its warranty
  20. Veteran1

Veteran1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM All over is generally horrible. As I previously said, it's a economic decision not to go easy on the warranty work required. Could it be because Bajaj has a large stake ? And it's all about money . Ethics get overlooked to some extent ? Am I off the mark ?